THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Ruger 77 Mark II-Blackburn Bottom Metal
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger 77 Mark II-Blackburn Bottom Metal
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of tom mason
posted
Question- Does the Mark II have the slanted front action screw? I have, what was told to me, Blackburn bottom metal for a Ruger 77. It does not have a slanted front action tang. According to Ted Blackburns bottom metal brochure, he never made bottom metal for Ruger 77s. It has his name on the bottom of the floor plate and is marked with a no. 4. Any info would help.

Posts: 1117 | Location: Moore, Okla. | Registered: 28 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes it does have a “slanted” front guard screw.

Posts: 2651 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
A Blackburn #4 is for a Model 70, I recall. You were duped.

Posts: 17045 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tom mason
posted Hide Post
Yes- I know a No. 4 is for a Post 64 M70 416 Rem. Wide Std. Depth but its got Teds name on it and its also made for the magazine box to fit up inside the rails. Ted told me years ago that he made the inside rails early on. So, if its not for a Ruger than who knows? Its in the white and brand new and very nice. I also have Blackburn bottom metal marked with a no.6 which is for a New M70 300 Dakota Std. Depth that the magazine fits inside of the rails. Its also in the white and brand new.

Posts: 1117 | Location: Moore, Okla. | Registered: 28 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There's nothing stopping you from drilling a "straight" new guard screw if it makes fitting bottom metal easier. Can't be absolutely sure, but I THINK Ted's Ruger bottom metal was made to do exactly that. .

Posts: 3435 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

KJK

Posts: 676 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 December 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tom mason
posted Hide Post
This list does not show a No.6. My list show a No.6 (New M70 300 Dakota std.)-No.6X (New M70 300 Dakota Extra deep).-No.7 (New M70 Short Action).

one of us
posted Hide Post
He did make a run for the 77 in the late 70's and early 80's. I know 2 people that have used them. I can't remember the screw angle however, how many he made I haven't a clue but he was trying to branch into a variety of different receiver applications at that time.

In the same time frame Ted also made a larger run for Remington 700's both short and long actions as well as I've used 2 on Classics. The David Miller Company and Harry Lawson also used a few of these as well when available.

Engraver Winston Churchill stocked and engraved a rifle for Dave Petzel that is featured in Ron Toews book Classic American Stock Makers that uses a steel Blackburn Rem 700 assembly

He even made a few units from Brass I know this for a fact as I've held one in my hands.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Posting for D'Arcy - a 700 with Blackburn Metal:

one of us
posted Hide Post
I had Baxter post this pic of this Classic 700 I assembled in the late 80's using one of Blackburn's 700 assemblies. Like the 77 assemblies it is also not listed as an item above.

But they did exist

Thanks Baxter !

One of Us
Picture of tom mason
posted Hide Post
Thanks Darcy. By the way! Both of these Blackburns are for sale. $400 each shipped. I can send pics if anyone is interested.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Apologies to Tom Mason for deviating from the original intent of this thread but D'Arcy Echols rifles, no matter the year made, or bottom metal used, are so elegant and pleasing to the eye.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That has got to be one of the nicest model 700's ever made .

Posts: 59 | Location: anchorage | Registered: 01 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Robert
Thanks, I'm not sure I'd go all that far but it was an honest effort.

One of Us
Picture of tom mason
posted Hide Post
I just found out the bottom metal is for a Ruger 77. If and when someone wants to build a Custom Rifle on a Ruger 77 action, the front action screw will need to be redrilled and threaded for the Bottom Metal to fit the action properly.