Notify
Tools

Medium Game Round
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Sabretooth
posted
Two questions:

1) Looking to a do custom build bolt action for medium game hunting (deer, hogs, antelope, etc). Considering possibly either a 308,7-08, maybe even a 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser. Any thoughts?

2) what action would you recommend, assuming you could even get one right now?

Posts: 602 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 10 March 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want a new action you could use a Winchester 70 Classic short action. Perfect for .308 or 7mm-08. Controlled feed. Just have it rebarreled with the barrel of your choice.

A Model 70 Classic Short Action

If you have some extra dough, do a g.33/40 mauser if you can find one. New bolt handle, new safety, new trigger, new bottom metal, and scope mounts.

KJK

Posts: 677 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 December 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is your definition of a custom? Hard to go wrong with a 700 in .308.

Posts: 698 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For the shorter rounds so far mentioned, don't overlook a Mexican action...Just finished a takedown using such action, 6.5 x 55

The holy grail.a large ring, small thread Peruvian

Posts: 3451 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Of those listed I'd go with the 7mm-08 all day. I'd go with an 8" twist barrel so you have RPM in reserve for most of the 7mm bullets out there. Or nix the 6.5x55 and look at the 6.5 Creedmoor. It is one of the few cartridges that has had a consistent supply of ammo and loading components since the world fell apart in 2020...

If you can find a short action Model 70 classic and want to pay the going rate they are a good platform and can be modified to accommodate 3.1" - 3.2" COAL. Or a perhaps a .308 family pre-64 M-70.

Posts: 1239 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Consider the 280 Rem. It’ll give you a little more oomph over the 7mm-08. And a standard long action Winchester G series action may be a little easier to come by as opposed to a short action.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There must be hundreds of cartridges in this "zone", great for hunting the named species at some given distance.

The distance you hunt them at may be significant to your choice, but I would say most of them are so similar that you may as well pick the one you like best. It will do the job.

Posts: 467 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 April 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buy a Rem Model 7 and customize it.

Jim

Posts: 546 | Location: Winter, Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 19 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sabretooth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rcraig:
What is your definition of a custom? Hard to go wrong with a 700 in .308.
definition would be getting a new stock carved and checkered from a blank, new barrel and chambering for an action...

One of Us
Picture of Sabretooth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tex84:
Consider the 280 Rem. It’ll give you a little more oomph over the 7mm-08. And a standard long action Winchester G series action may be a little easier to come by as opposed to a short action.

I already have one of those sir. built from a Dakota 76 CRF action...

One of Us
Picture of Sabretooth
posted Hide Post
@ Duane Weibe- Not a bad thought!!! I've always been one who is somewhat of an independent. Always preferred other "rare calibers' over the traditional ones. Any recommendations on an action?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The .275 H&H would be skookum.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mine has been a 7x57 and a 30-06, both seem to have taken root at the Atkinson casa...or is it my age?? oh well it is what it is! old

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote