THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    English / French / Turkish One Piece Rifle Blank
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

English / French / Turkish One Piece Rifle Blank
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have been looking at all of the common well known suppliers of English,Turkish, French walnut stock blanks.
Thinking maybe one of you has a special well laid out blank That is properly dried and aged that is ready for carving/machining. Maybe someone has a special blank and their plans have changed for its use. Please feel free to pm me.

Posts: 666 | Location: Western USA | Registered: 08 September 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just curious. What haven't you found that you are looking for?

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4WD:
I have been looking at all of the common well known suppliers of English,Turkish, French walnut stock blanks.
Thinking maybe one of you has a special well laid out blank That is properly dried and aged that is ready for carving/machining. Maybe someone has a special blank and their plans have changed for its use. Please feel free to pm me.

Look no further than Roger Vardy http://www.rogervardystockwood.com/
His shipping is quick and very reasonable from Oz. The money exchange rate is very good for us also.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd have a hard time believing Cecil Fredi or Roger Vardy would not have a suitable blank. They have acres of good, better, best blanks.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agree with farbedo.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2631 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'd have a hard time believing Cecil Fredi or Roger Vardy would not have a suitable blank. They have acres of good, better, best blanks.

Yes, Cecil has over 30 THOUSAND blanks. Give him a call and let him know what you're looking for. 1-702-382-8470

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for everyone’s comments.
Yes Vardy, Fredi, Heilmann and several other companies that specialize in gun stock blanks have options available. Just being around sporting guns and the people that own them most of my life, I have found many of the best gems, be it in rifles,shotguns,stock blanks, actions, etc. are in collections or just being held by individuals. It’s a lot about timing if a individual decides he is no longer going to do a project, he may let a prized stock blank go. It’s a pretty common occurrence.
D’Arcy Echols just recently helped me find a pretty special blank from a smaller supplier. It’s all about how much time and energy you want to put in it.
The rifle is a .300H&H built on a Dakota 76 action with a new 25” Krieger barrel , along with a fitted .375H&H barrel, work done by Gene Simillion along with some other metal work by Gene.
Still working on selecting the stocker.

Posts: 666 | Location: Western USA | Registered: 08 September 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks for everyone’s comments.
Yes Vardy, Fredi, Heilmann and several other companies that specialize in gun stock blanks have options available. Just being around sporting guns and the people that own them most of my life, I have found many of the best gems, be it in rifles,shotguns,stock blanks, actions, etc. are in collections or just being held by individuals. It’s a lot about timing if a individual decides he is no longer going to do a project, he may let a prized stock blank go. It’s a pretty common occurrence.
D’Arcy Echols just recently helped me find a pretty special blank from a smaller supplier. It’s all about how much time and energy you want to put in it.
The rifle is a .300H&H built on a Dakota 76 action with a new 25” Krieger barrel , along with a fitted .375H&H barrel, work done by Gene Simillion along with some other metal work by Gene.
Still working on selecting the stocker.

James Tucker? I have had many of my rifles and shotguns stocked by Gary Goudy, who is a friend and hunting partner of many years. But after finishing my last rifle (a Ruger No. 1 .257 Roberts in English walnut), he retired. IMO, James is at the very top of his game and builds some really fine rifles.

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been thinking about selling this blank that I've had for a number of years. Not cheap but perfect layout, 100% 1/4 saw,get contrast and color, matches both sides, heavy, dense and hard. Contact me if seriously interested.

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1779 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That blank is perfect for a heavy recoiling rifle.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have been looking...... Maybe someone has a special blank...

A price range would help. Confused

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1831 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
French is no more, just claims of such and that's abundant...English is my idea of Californis ditch back walnut..

Today I use Turkish or better yet Russian walnut if you can find it...Old world walnut (Bill Dowtin) has the best stuff Ive seen these days, and he has Russian. Russian is Turkish btw that's been stolen out of Russia. many turks have died stealing Russian walnut...I like walnut that is blacker n black with dark dark brown matrix..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41795 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
French pops up once in awhile, I bought two Tessier blanks last fall for very reasonable money. Hunterbid has a few French blanks left in stock as well.

Is Bill Dowtin still selling wood? His website was down the last time I looked.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill assumed room temperature

Posts: 3440 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sadly, Bill is no longer with us.
His wood came from Armenia, and does work wonderfully. Fortunately, I have enough of it to see me out. It's not for sale.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I still have a couple of blanks from Bill, bought a lot of wood from him until I shattered my hand roping..but it turned out Ok after about a years of healing..

It saddens me that Bill is no longer with us..He spent the night here on the way to the gun show in vegas some years ago...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41795 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote