THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    a pair of Mannlichers for Africa
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

a pair of Mannlichers for Africa
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Got my matched new rifles! 7x57 and 9.3x62 Mauser on GMA short and GMA G33/40 actions, octagon integral barrels and stocked from a single,
10 1/2" wide Bastogne blank! All of the work was done by Roy Bedeaux of New Mexico.
Wanted the longer barrels for showing the wood and metal, balances good for me and I am a happy camperSmiler

Posts: 352 | Location: Florissant, Colorado  | Registered: 29 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Those are really nice. Would like to see the bolt side as well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Classic! I love Mannlichers.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
Those are really nice. Would like to see the bolt side as well.

Posts: 352 | Location: Florissant, Colorado  | Registered: 29 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice!

Posts: 376 | Location: USA | Registered: 26 March 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
fantastic

Posts: 6384 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I saw these rifles at several stages of being built. I liked everything about them from the get go!

Posts: 722 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Wow, just wow!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice rifles right there. Why the difference in LOP ?

Cheers,
Mark.

Posts: 557 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 13 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark R:
Nice rifles right there. Why the difference in LOP ?

Cheers,
Mark.

Optical delusionSmiler both measure 13 3/4”. By design,
The only difference is the Length of the 2 actions. Thanks

posted Hide Post
Hi Steve, I’ve been a lurker here for a while, your new rifles convinced me to finally sign up, firstly gotta say beautiful work and in my favourite calibres too! I’ve also been looking at getting either their G33/40 action or their short action and have a couple of questions if you don’t mind, firstly how close to finished were they on receipt? it looks like the trigger guards have been trimmed down, but did he have to do much more to get them to a usable state? also what is the internal mag length on the 7X57? I was worried it might be too short, and lastly did you get the G33/40 lightening cuts on the short action too? I believe it is an option.

thanks,

Mauserator

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Outstanding! tu2 Some very nice fiddleback in that wood! tu2

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
VERY NICE! tu2

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Beautiful classic rifles. Well done

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like bwanamrm said....Wow Just Wow

Posts: 1612 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not sure if any work done to trigger guard. I think most Gunsmith will work on the actions a little but to my untrained eye, when I get them as is from GMA, look good to me!
The short action box measures at 3.1” feeding was done with 175g RN. Have the cuts on the g33/40 as I did not see any reason not to.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve505, Thanks for posting. Beautiful, graceful, elegant...

Words don't describe them.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3336 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifles!
Who supplied the lumber? Talley rings?
Is Roy retired?
Enjoy your rifles.

Posts: 673 | Location: Western USA | Registered: 08 September 2018Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4WD:
Beautiful rifles!
Who supplied the lumber? Talley rings?
Is Roy retired?
Enjoy your rifles.

Thanks!
Woodnut.com
Roy used the Talley CZ550 rings as these
Allow the square bridges to keep their full width instead of milling them narrow.
Roy has retired and building rifles for a few
Of his old customersFrowner

Roy thought inletted Ebony in the buttstock would look good with the case coloring.

I requested the NECG adjustable front sight (as Wayne at AHR says, a bit of a pain in the...) Roy was able center the adjustment range for each rifle for the chosen loadsSmiler. So now have +- 6" elevation at 100yds!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
Stunning pair of rifles!

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1215 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fabulous and WOW, just WOW (as others have said)

I have a chunk of wood destined to me a mannlicher type rifle.
Some day
(I hope someday actually it comes but I'm running out of years)

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a magnificent pair!

Posts: 467 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 April 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifles, congrats.

Doug

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I used a 8x57 Mannlicher in RSA in 2011. Trip was really for my oldest daughter, but I took an impala and waterbuck with the 8x57. Great PG IMHO. A 7x57 and 9.3x62 are a great combo.

BTW - that 8x57 Mannlicher also has an elk and 2 red stags to it's credit.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the compliments! My job is to buy the components and sketch out the goals, Roy Bedeaux then has the easy jobSmiler
First time out with the 7mm (140gn Factory, 50yds, scope, tripod table rest). The handloads will be 160gn swift.