THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    My 7mm-08 Custom Bull-Pup Competition Rifle - Complete Article in the 1988 Gun Digest
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My 7mm-08 Custom Bull-Pup Competition Rifle - Complete Article in the 1988 Gun Digest
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted
My 7mm-08 Custom Bull-Pup Competition Rifle - Complete Article in the 1988 Gun Digest

Originally requested by hatari ... " HS - Would you considering sharing your bullpup build with us? That was one on my favorite Gun Digest pieces ever...."

OK hatari ... Here it is ... the complete article .....every page .... I also added some color photos...

as always, your comments are welcome

" .... you never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early .... "

How to Hunt Wisconsin Whitetail Deer with a Cannon

How to Hunt Feral Cats with a Mortar

Posts: 2116 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I remember wishing I could see what the stock looked like in color. Thankyou for posting the pictures!!

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
very cool.

Posts: 6385 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by theback40:
I remember wishing I could see what the stock looked like in color. Thankyou for posting the pictures!!

Hello theback40,
Thanks for the reply.

Back in 1988, 33 years ago, if you wanted color pictures in an article you had to submit 3-color separated negatives along with the text. That cost about $50 for each picture. Black & white negatives cost $5 each. So only a few articles in the Digests were in color.

quote:
Originally posted by richj:
very cool.

Hello richj,
Thanks for the reply.

Posts: 2116 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
33 years, wow, that's gone fast!
Has the electronic trigger held up over the time?

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by theback40:
33 years, wow, that's gone fast!
Has the electronic trigger held up over the time?

Hello theback40,
Thanks for the reply.

Trigger works great to this day ... it it still shoots 1/2 minute of angle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for posting this! It really took me for a wonderful trip down memory lane. I can vividly remember reading this when I was about 12 years old and having a lively discussion with my grandfather about the rifle. He was my shooting/hunting mentor and truly a great man. I recall discussing this rifle with him in detail while spending the summer at their cabin. It’s amazing that reading this again brought so many memories rushing back. Thank you!

Nathan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Remember the article back then nice to see the pictures.

Posts: 19361 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So very cool!

Does the trigger take batteries?

Posts: 1278 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
Remember the article back then nice to see the pictures.

Hello p dog shooter,
Thanks for the reply.

quote:
Originally posted by spudstor:
Thank you for posting this! It really took me for a wonderful trip down memory lane. I can vividly remember reading this when I was about 12 years old and having a lively discussion with my grandfather about the rifle. He was my shooting/hunting mentor and truly a great man. I recall discussing this rifle with him in detail while spending the summer at their cabin. It’s amazing that reading this again brought so many memories rushing back. Thank you!
Nathan

Hello spudstor,
Thanks for the reply.

There's another twist about the story of building this gun. A member of our club kept complaining when I beat him, yesr-after-year, in our 600 yard "Sporting Rifle Match". He said we should use "NRA Sporting Rifle Rules" because the Ruger Varminter I used was 4 ounces too heavy. I explained we didn't have a weight limit in our match, and that the extra 4 ounces is not what beat him every year. I usually shot a 182-185 to beat his 175-179. But, I said I'd build a rifle that met all the "NRA Sporting Rifle Rules" including the weight limit - which my Big-Bore-Bullpup DID meet. That's when I shot the 600 yard score mentioned in the article, a 194-7x to his 175-2x. He never again shot in our 600 yard Sporting rifle match, and never spoke to me again either.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
To each is own, be damned if I'd put my "Trip t o Hollywood" face (HAR) right on top of the one place that a rifle will fail if it's ever going to do so.

Posts: 3454 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
To each is own, be damned if I'd put my "Trip t o Hollywood" face (HAR) right on top of the one place that a rifle will fail if it's ever going to do so.

Hello Duane Wiebe,
Thanks for the reply.

Lucky for me I don't have a "Trip to Hollywood" face, so it never concerned me. Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you had a hair on your backside you would commission one in .577 T-Rex. :-)

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RR 314:
If you had a hair on your backside you would commission one in .577 T-Rex. :-)

Hello RR 314,
Thanks for the reply.

interesting ... Whistling