New
Find
Notify
Tools

My 1917 Enfield
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This rifle was built by AR members and AR members supplied the parts.

I bought the receiver from one of our members. It had never seen a barrel or other parts. It was bare.John Farner,toomanytools, cobbled together the 3 pos safety from parts as at the time LaPour was redesigning his and had none. John did some nice clean up on the receiver.

Nick Hughes did the final surface grind, the bolt handle work, his custom bolt release, and the great scope bases that shows no screws.

Tommy Kaye did the subtle engraving. He also engraved the quarter rib also.

James Anderson did the quarter rib and iron sights. He engraved the rear leaf blade with his mill, install the very nice Wiebe bottom metal and did the final feed work on the Wiebe follower. James did the wonderful extended tangs from Wiebe. He did a lot of machine work on the factory rear tang to match the extended tang. James did a European style stock. I had the flat checkering done by another craftsman.
We are so lucky to have the true artist here in this USA and also members of this fine forum.
I am very happy with this project.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle!

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Siam_Krag
posted Hide Post
Absolutely stunning!!

Posts: 169 | Location: Santa Cruz, California | Registered: 11 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now THAT'S a rifle! Beautiful.
What caliber? Do you have any other pics?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have no other pics at this time other than a few in progress. I hope to have it in my hands soon. It is a 416 Rigby. We are having a real grey squirrel problem on our property.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful, indeed. Nicest custom on an Enfield action I've ever seen.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Perfection. Nothing else I can say.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle Butch. Congratulations to both you and James. ...Dave

Posts: 437 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 20 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ab_bentley
posted Hide Post
Butch,

Are those bases tig'd or are they removable?

Adam

Ammo, you always need more.

Posts: 463 | Location: Dresden, Ohio | Registered: 09 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Adam,
The bases are screwed on. I don't know if Nick glued, soldered, or just screwed them on. He did make plugs to cover the heads of the screws.
Pretty clean work isn't it?

One of Us
Picture of steyrsteve
posted Hide Post
When I saw your heading of "My 1917 Enfield" I thought "yawn, yawn". Man, was I ever wrong. That is truly a beautiful silk purse from a sow's ear. Congrats to your gunsmith for that wonderful transformation. Please keep us posted as you develop loads. As usual on AR, we are vicariously privileged to share other members rifles. In this case it is truly a treat. Thanks for letting us in on your new treasure. Eeker

NRA Life Member
DRSS-Claflin Chapter
Mannlicher Collectors Assn
KCCA
IAA

Posts: 473 | Location: central Kansas | Registered: 26 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful work...

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stunning! Love the extended tangs.

Jim

Posts: 1205 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
Fantastic work!!!....can I see a pic of the quarter rib???.... I need 1 for my rem 30, 505 gibbs...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2824 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't have it in my hands yet. You might contact James Anderson.

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
That is the best Enfield sporter on this planet. I'm going to throw mine away. Unbelievable.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3019 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
Wow, love everything about it. Great photo's as well.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a fine rifle with stunning wood.

So many craftsmen had a hand in making that and the result is impressive.

Congratulations.

Cheers, Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1891 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ab_bentley
posted Hide Post
Butch,

That's a slick rifle for sure. I was curious if you have any pictures of the other side of the rifle?

Adam

Posts: 463 | Location: Dresden, Ohio | Registered: 09 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch,

You have exquisite taste in rifles, and exceptional judgement in selecting your artisans.

TT

Posts: 455 | Location: Sierra Vista, AZ | Registered: 06 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Incredible culmination of artistry on this custom Butch. Seems appropriate to say that no stone was left unturned. Congratulations to all. CB

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5084 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love the Enfield action for big bores, and use a lot of them for the 404 and larger. There is not better option short of a true magnum Mauser action, but when done right they sure look alike. Nice rifle.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41748 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle and nice work from all involved!

Enjoy...

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Butch,
I generally do not post on threads like this as there are just so many fine rifles posted on this site, but I felt I had to make an exception this time. All I can say is WOW, you really knocked it out of the park on this one. Seldom does a build that utilizes so many craftsman end up so well. Says a lot about the planning of the project. Great job.

Only thing I would do different is to send it back to the checkerer and have him finish the checkering. Big Grin

John

Posts: 536 | Location: illinois | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
An absolute heart throb.

Post some photos over on 24hourcampfire and show those macswirley guys what a real rifle looks like.

PS, if this is your Gray Squirrel gun I do not want to see the size of your White Tail Deer!

Posts: 1440 | Location: Running With The Hounds | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jungleboy
posted Hide Post
Butch, that is a beautiful gun in a great caliber!

Really like the long tang, nice touch. Congrats!

Jim

Posts: 518 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd be a notch or two past "happy" if that were mine. I'd be just shy of delirious...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Commandment #10: Thou Shall Not Covet Thy Neighbor's Rifle

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3019 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I like everything about it. The wood and metal seam perfectly together. One doesn't overpower the other. Truly a classic.

Butch, you hit a home run with this one my friend. Congrats to you and all the fine craftsmen who worked on this masterpiece.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Beautiful. Any pics from the bolt handle side?

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aside from welding on the tang extensions, What was done to the tang? It looks great. The nicest tang treatment I've ever seen.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3271 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Matt, If you know a 1917 Enfield you could see all the work James did to make it look smooth and factory.

Wink,
I have no photos of the reverse side at this time. I hope to have the rifle in my hands soon. My photos won't look a good as the ones that James took.

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
What does the rifle weigh?

I know people manufacture new Mauser actions (GMA, Prechtl, etc), but damn, someone needs to make a new Enfield action based on this. I think this beats a Mauser hands down in coolness factor.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have not a clue as to the weight. I haven't received it yet.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's as nice as an Enfield gets.

Posts: 1743 | Registered: 25 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I bet it comes in around 9 lbs.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch,

I love it I can't wait to hold it in my hands!

James,

Congrats, I know that was a tough project but as always the result is beautiful! Simply stunning!

Posts: 321 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 20 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nick,
I was very lucky to have you do your part on the project. James just did a wonderful job finishing the metal work and building a beautiful stock.

Austin, It weighs 9lb. 8oz.

One of Us
Picture of ab_bentley
posted Hide Post
Butch, is the rib integral to the barrel?

Adam

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No sir.