Find
Notify
Tools

New Fraser Action
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gentlemens:

There is a very high quality reproduction of the original Fraser action now available. It is a product of the ever ambitious Steve Earle, and the quality of the action may exceed that of his Wesson #1 Long Range.

I am attaching a few images of the first production action. It is being built as a sporting rifle with a fancy integral rib barrel and is appropriately chambered in .303 British.

Mr. Earle's website is: http://www.steveearleproducts.com/

Best to all,

Glenn

[IMG:left] [/IMG]

Posts: 254 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 02 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Exquisite workmanship. I would love to see the work on the face of the rib being done. How is it done? Like the rib on a M21 winchester or by hand (which I doubt).

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8342 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SWEET!

Posts: 603 | Location: Louisiana USA | Registered: 24 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Cool action in the perfect caliber for said action! And the barrel, sight and rib work are superlative. Very classy.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7503 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
Cool action. I'd love to build with one in the future, price isn't bad either. That barrel is absolutely stunning. Love the rib treatments.

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1015 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a real sweetie. I'd love one in 303 Brit.

SCI Life Member
DRSS

"In those savage countries success frequently depends upon one particular moment; you may lose or win according to your action at that critical instant."

Sir Samuel Baker

Posts: 297 | Location: New Scotland, Canada | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Fan
posted Hide Post
Glenn,

very nice rifle. And I would also choose the .303Brit.
One question. Do you have a picture with opened action?

Thanks,

Martin

Posts: 824 | Location: Munich, Bavaria, thats near Germany | Registered: 23 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like everything except the machining on the rib and front sight. I much prefer the "file cut rib" look.

Posts: 85 | Location: Calgary Alberta Kanada | Registered: 30 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I like everything except the machining on the rib and front sight. I much prefer the "file cut rib" look.

Actually, if it is the "wavy" zig-zag lines you mean that is TOTALLY AUTHENTIC to a rib on a British rifle or, indeed, double gun.

I've seen enough of both to vouch for that.

Indeed my BSA side-by-side in the top "deluxe grade" made between the two World Wars has the same. And I think that my William Powell 3" double ejector fowling gun MAY have also had the same.

It's 100% authentic.

Where I'd maybe make a constructive comment is that what is does lack, and these can't be replicated as it's a criminal offence, is period British Proof Marks.

And, even today, if it were to be proved in Britain you'd get modern marks and stamps that would be incorrect for the era that the Fraser was originally made in.

Also, and in this I may be wrong, I think that it would, pehaps, have had the calibre on the side of the action and, of course, just "303" and never "303 British".

But with the 303 Savage existing I can see that is probably, now, legal neccesity.

Posts: 6813 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That looks like a great action. I like the zig-zag.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did take my BSA out to look at the zig-zag and note that there is no "centre line" in that the zig zag goes all in the one diection, as it were, with no central line that gives a "diamond" effect.

Posts: 6813 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
The rib (between the quarter rib and the front sight) looks like the wavy lines create a shingled effect with each outward strip being a bit lower than the last. If so, it forms a contour on a radius from the bore center which makes the rib rounded. Really cool and quite doable with a CNC mill, but not something that would have been done by Fraser.
Is that correct?
I do like the rib as it is a fully modern rifle in the style of the ultimate classic falling block so why not utilize what modern equipment allows?

Posts: 3231 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The mid rib is indeed radiused, and the matting designed to enhance the effect. None of the matting patterns on the barrel have any direct basis in history. Matting patterns like this did exist, but not to the best of my knowledge on a Fraser barrel. However, it is possible to duplicate original patterns given a smoke pull to work with.

This was not an attempt to duplicate an original Fraser barrel. It is a modern custom rifle built in the image of an original, not as a replication. The original Fraser ribs were quite plain.

Martin:

I do not have an image with the action open. I will see if I cannot take one and post it in the near future.

Best to all,

Glenn

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
quote:
smoke pull

Excuse my ignorance but what is a smoke pull & how does it work?

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8342 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
just got of the phone with steve that gun will be stocked soon ,,he lives 45 min from my house ,,he makes a nice looking wesson action too..be visiting him some upcoming saturday....paul

Posts: 294 | Location: MASSACHUSETTS | Registered: 26 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:
quote:
smoke pull

Excuse my ignorance but what is a smoke pull & how does it work?

Something like taking a piece of paper and pencil and rubbing the lead on the paper to decipher impressions on a surface. As is done to read illegible headstones.
On a gun, if I am not mistaken, the metal is "smoked" and then the paper is stamped with the metal which leaves the impression of the engraved design on the paper.
Also similar to pulling finger prints.

Posts: 3231 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A question for Glenn- do you know of any pattern's currently available for semi inlet stock turning?

Posts: 1120 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All:

A smoke pull is indeed like taking fingerprints. Typically it is done to capture copies of engraving. The engraved surface is sooted up with the smoke from a little oil lamp made for the purpose, and then a piece of paper or clear tape is pressed down on the surface. The high spots on the engraving transfer the soot to the tape and give you the image.

For the matting, I can take said image and put it on an optical comparator and measure the "squiggles" and so reproduce them.

kda55:

I know of no one with a stock pattern for the Fraser. The original actions were too few and far between for anyone to bother making one. I expect now with the reproduction there will be some patterns available. Doug Mann is intending to build one.

Best,

Glenn

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Glenn, what chamberings is the Fraser suitable for, as far as pressure ranges and case diameters go?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16271 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill:

The action should be suitable for anything a sane man would fire from the shoulder. The falling block designs are all very strong, and this one is no exception. Its limitations would be extraction power. No problem with sane loads, but if you are into case expanding high pressure handloads this is not the action to use.

Physically, it will chamber a .450 Express cartridge.

Glenn

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How is the mat pattern cut, by hand or machine?

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 824 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Wow, a lot of time was spent machining this barrel (intergal front to back to round). Stocked up this will be sweet! I like that action.

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Glenn, what chamberings is the Fraser suitable for, as far as pressure ranges and case diameters go?

The web site says good for up to 500 3" Nitro.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3269 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
Damn! First we used to be stunned at the artistry of an old man with a file. Today we are blown away by the artistry of a young man with a CNC mill and the soul of a Renaissance armorer. Well done, Mr. Earle, well done indeed!

Sarge

Holland's .375: One Planet, One Rifle . . . for one hundred years!

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Love the barrel, did Steve make it?

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Being the contrarian, that storm door handle on the side sure does make it look unbalanced, opposed to an under lever.
I agree that the execution of the maker is wonderful and should be used on more attractive designs.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glen,

I'm pretty sure I have a pattern for both the standard sized Fraser and the mini. Call if you are interested in a copy.

Shane Thompson

Posts: 125 | Location: Soda Springs, ID 83276 | Registered: 25 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Fine Art

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9842 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
beautiful...

I have one of his Frank Wesson #1 Long Range actions sitting out in my shop with a two-piece walnut blank set I paid $500 for eight years ago.

My only issue is figuring out the appropriate chambering.

Steve has the heart of a craftsman from a century ago. He does amazing work.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
I had the pleasure to hunt with an original 303 Rimless Fraser just the other week, However it was a M96 action. tu2

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I asked him about a lefty action. NO GO. I guess a bottom lever will have to suffice.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2133 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's been a while... any more news or info on these? How/where does the forend attach?

Posts: 815 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I apologize for not getting to this forum more often but I did check today and noticed this thread on the Steve Earle Fraser.

I have, in fact, finished a pattern stock and forend for the Fraser. The reason for the dark color is that I've made many changes to the patterns and with all of the adds and subtracts they looked like patch work quilt, SOoooo I stained them dark so lessen the uglies. I should also mention that the rifle in the picture is chambered in .275 Rigby #2. In the real world it would be a 7x57 Rimmed but Mr. Fewless doesn't do Chinese calibers so .275 Rigby #2 is. clap

Anyway here's a picture taken today by me. Please note that photography is not my strong suite.

Posts: 10 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 30 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a purely mechanical machine often used by watch makers to automatically do the sort of engraving shown here. Perhaps someone can recall it?

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brice:
There is a purely mechanical machine often used by watch makers to automatically do the sort of engraving shown here. Perhaps someone can recall it?

You may be thinking of a Holtzapffel ornamental turning machine.
They may do much of the chasing work for you but do require smarts beyond the average man to set up.
Super cool machines though!

One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
For some reason...I am having visions of a stainless Fraser with a synthetic stock... And it aint too bad looking!!

For now I will settle for the 303 I just picked up.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I spoke with Steve last week, and he called my attention to the barrel. Let us just say that $5500 would not replicate it, nor a year's time.

It is a good thing to know that such workmanship is able to be done these days.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are thinking of guilloche machine for the barrel work. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9...ch%3Fv%3D9VKASuwatG0

Posts: 1283 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Huvius, how about stainless and some real pale French walnut. Almost white with some dark marble cake.

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes J_Zola, guilloche it is. Thank you very much.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote