THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Wiebe Bottom Metal (Mauser 98 7x57 or 30.06 Cartridge)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wiebe Bottom Metal (Mauser 98 7x57 or 30.06 Cartridge)
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunmaker:
quote:
Originally posted by K W Johnston:
I think the preorders or a group buy thing might help you guys out some, but I'm not gonna say it for sure.

I did that here about 20 years ago after showing off my own custom MiniX 223. There were about 15 guys that happily sent checks and patiently waited for their unique custom MiniX floormetal. The back story on this is that I spent the time engineering and CAD drawing and prototyping the floormetal AS A HOBBY. I had a day job working for DArms that barely paid the bills for a single bachelor with no kids. However I did have the run of the machine shop after hours for personal projects. (hobby time) By the time I ran the parts for the guys here on AR, I had a real job with great bennies and a great paycheck that afforded me to start collecting machines (as a hobby) I had acquired a small CNC machining center that was rode hard and put up wet too many times. Surface finishes not so great but I could take the free time to hand polish the tooling marks. All the time never having to rely on the income from these parts to pay the bills.

Fast forward about 20 years with a boy in college and another senior in HS, I've got more, better, paid off machines. Just less free time for my latest hobby of customizing the Mini Howa. The climate around the forums has changed as well concerning custom machined parts. It seems that there are several that jump at the chance to flame and cross post to several forums. 20 years ago I had 15 guys in a week jump at the chance of owning a cool little custom floormetal for the MiniX. Now days after showing some pics of my cool little Mini Howa custom parts that I created during my hobby time the emails I get concerning the parts mostly fit the same form letter.

"Got any parts done and for sale yet?"

I'm not frustrated with the guys that actually want the parts. It's just that they have been jaded with some of the flaming that goes round into holding their cards closer to their vest.

Whenever I get around to producing my hobby parts I'll probably end up eating all the time for R&D, fixtures & programming and just sell the parts for the time & materials it takes to run them. Not the best business model, but hell, it's just a hobby. Cool

I am not even close to your skill level, but that is the same reason my machines have sat powered down for over two years. I’d rather spend the shop time making a new end table for the wife or playing with the dogs in the yard than invest time that will never be reimbursed.

Posts: 1084 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
At the risk of derailing this discussion, I have a Wiebe unit available (if I can find it!). Roger, check your email.

Posts: 986 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just got off the phone with Andy at Sunny Hill. It's a long story but after working exclusively with Brownells he is now getting back to selling directly to the consumer. Also of note, he's picked up a bunch of the Dakota parts. Both styles of sling swivels, grip caps and skeleton grip caps.
He even had both bottom metal units I needed in stock!

Posts: 561 | Location: Weathersfield, VT | Registered: 22 January 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good news!

Posts: 422 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Big surprise. Brownell's is taking pre-orders too.
About time.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5086 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
About time.
Brownells has been taking "pre-orders" for Sunny Hill bottom metal for 9 months or longer.

Posts: 669 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They're too busy with 1911 safeties and AR receivers

Posts: 3435 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Sandbagging buggers.
quote:
Originally posted by slivers:
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
About time.
Brownells has been taking "pre-orders" for Sunny Hill bottom metal for 9 months or longer.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5086 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
They're too busy with 1911 safeties and AR receivers
Brownells has turned into the "WalMart" of gun parts suppliers. They only want to stock what they can sell in quantity. As has been discussed, there's a limited market for custom made bottom metal, not a huge customer base out there. Also, my understanding is, if they can't mark-up 30% they're not interested. That sure cuts into the makers bottom line (as has already been discussed in this thread). Maybe the "pre-order" for bottom metal was part of the 'deal' when they started carrying recoil lugs and the lower end bottom metal for Rem 700s. Myself, I prefer to go to the maker of the part(s) I want, even if Brownells/Midway carries that part. Brownells is even pretty shy about carrying and having in-stock basic repair parts (think hands, cylinder stops, side plate screw for S&W revolvers, amongst a lot of other things)for firearms other than AR15s. And, anymore, there's not much difference in pricing from retail to licensed gunsmith, sometimes only a few cents. Been like that for several years now, since the Obummer scare, anyway....

Posts: 669 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNR:
I just got off the phone with Andy at Sunny Hill. It's a long story but after working exclusively with Brownells he is now getting back to selling directly to the consumer. Also of note, he's picked up a bunch of the Dakota parts. Both styles of sling swivels, grip caps and skeleton grip caps.

Would you mind sharing the number you used to reach Andy?

I don’t know how many times I’ve called Sunny Hill, if I had to guess I’d say at least once a year for the last 10 years. I don’t remember ever getting ahold of a person, I know I’ve never gotten a response to any emails, and if I had the option, I would have left a voicemail, but have never received a call back.

If they have bottom metal to sell, I’d be interested in knowing how to get ahold of them.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1468 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You bet. It's the number on the website

920-898-4707

quote:
Originally posted by Fal Grunt:
quote:
Originally posted by MNR:

Would you mind sharing the number you used to reach Andy?

I don’t know how many times I’ve called Sunny Hill, if I had to guess I’d say at least once a year for the last 10 years. I don’t remember ever getting ahold of a person, I know I’ve never gotten a response to any emails, and if I had the option, I would have left a voicemail, but have never received a call back.

If they have bottom metal to sell, I’d be interested in knowing how to get ahold of them.

Posts: 561 | Location: Weathersfield, VT | Registered: 22 January 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sunnyhill’s website has always sucked. Getting ahold of them always next to impossible. Having a good website that has good pictures of wares being offered is a huge plus. I did get a catalogue from them a few years ago, but it was really just a price sheet. Folks want to see what they are getting.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3276 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I hear bad mouthing about Brownells, it reminds me of killing the only whore in town, not a good idea... rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote