THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    How do you mount scope with Buehler rings?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do you mount scope with Buehler rings?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have used S&K rings that I could just pull open & slip over the scope. These Buehler rings are heavier so I can't pull them apart with my fingers. What is the procedure to get these on the scope? I'm afraid of bending them & they won't return to the original shape. Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some of the older Buehler rings were not split and I believe they were made to slip over the end of a straight tube scope, one without an enlarged objective. And on the ocular end the eyepiece would have been unscrewed and removed, as well.

I don't know what they did to replace the inert gas in those older scopes. I guess with the right equipment it could be done, though.

Posts: 265 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 09 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might be able to use a scope like Leupold's Ultralight fixed 2.5 power with the 20mm straight objective. If you could get the eyepiece all the way off...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes I bought this mount a few years back at a gun show for about $5. The finish was gone but under the rust they were OK. I cleaned them up & ran them thru my hot blue tanks. They now look like new. I think I'm going to try & make a set of jaws for the vice on my milling machine that will slip into the split so when I crank the vice open the ring will spread. I have nothing to loose because I don't have a scope that is low power & doesn't have a bell on it. Thanks Larry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can get a similar projectionless look with Conetrol rings/mounts.

But probably not for 5 bucks!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Many of those early Buehler rings were very low. But you have probably already checked that out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry,

I sent you a PM.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
To use those rings you had to take the scope apart and slide them on. I had a pair on an old Weaver K3 and they really looked nice. I doubt you could do it with most of today's scopes.
C.G.B.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You have to all but dismantle the scope, depending on the scope..A Lyman Alaskan and 2,5X and 3Xs demand removal of the ocular lens and in some case the adjustments. and this is all well and good, but it must be in a sterial inviorment with scope pointed straight up as Nitrogen being heavier than air won't leak out, its tricky btw..All in all and Ive done it many times early on and still have a number of solid rings in various makes...Most folks will end up losing all the nitrogen and fill the scope with "stuff" like dirt etc..Play it smart and get a set of split rings and Buehler makes some nice ones..and lots of that stuff can be found at gun shows all over the states.

Another option is have some scope repairman or scope factory might install solid rings on your scope, at one time Leupold would..they sure look nice on a custom rifle for sure or any rifle for that matter. I have them on some low power Leupold scopes and the old solid rings still fit on Redfield and Leopoldl bases..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help. I think I'll just hang on to these until I have a rifle that needs a low power scope. I'm afraid of ruining them if I try to bend them open.

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larry miller:
Thanks for the help. I think I'll just hang on to these until I have a rifle that needs a low power scope. I'm afraid of ruining them if I try to bend them open.

Bending them open would ruin them, I would be willing to bet.

I talked to Leupold a few years ago and they said that they would disassemble one of their straight tube scopes and install the rings for free.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bending them is not an option IMO,although Ive seen it done and sometimes they got lucky mostly they did not..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote