THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Alert to all Custom Gunstock people
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alert to all Custom Gunstock people
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
It was discovered that the gunstock patterns made by Darwin Hensley are no longer in the families possession. If anyone hears about someone having a Darwin Hensley patterned gunstock being made...please contact Steve Nelson of Nelson's Custom Guns.

541-745-5232 or nelsons-custom@comcast.net He is handling this matter for the Hensley family.

Thank you

Dennis Earl Smith
Professional Member ACGG
Benefactor Life NRA
Life NAHC

Posts: 311 | Location: Tygh Valley, OR | Registered: 05 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
How can I recognize one?

Posts: 17105 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Darwin was a master at carving details into his patterns. There are shadow line details and carved patterns around ejection ports, bolt handles, bolt stops, behind grip caps.... Darwin earned a Certification as a Master Carver and taught at University of Washington for a while. He specialized in restoration of antique carved furniture and carried this trait into his gunstock making. It was never gaudy. It was always done in a way to accent that which was already there in the action shaping.

Also Darwin's patterns were always one off patterns. He would use a planer piece of wood for the outside of the pattern. The inside of the pattern is always bedded to the exact action that was to be carved. Then Darwin would have either Bob Gibson or John Vest carve 1 to 1 from his pattern. He was heavily influenced by the German and English rifle/shotgun makers of the 1880-1920's.

Dennis Earl Smith
Professional Member ACGG
Benefactor Life NRA
Life NAHC

Posts: 311 | Location: Tygh Valley, OR | Registered: 05 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Clear as mud what to look for; I'll keep my eye out for them and I will let you know if I see a copy.

Posts: 17105 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OK some one steal them,????

Posts: 19361 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
on the plus side we won't worry about blaser geting them

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Darwin was a master of detail. Lines were sharp and defined. The lines always flowed with the geometry of the action and the purpose of the gun. Big Game rifles were functional and traditional with details that identify a Darwin Hensley gunstock. Once you have seen a Hensley stock, you will not forget it easily.

As to "were they stolen"....that I can not say. Trez Hensley (his son) reported them missing on Saturday. Trez is a member of the ACGG as was his Father. Darwin has been gone from our ranks for 10 years(7 years prior, Parkinson's Disease caused him to cease building. His passing was 3 years ago).

As a way of explanation as to why I am reporting this....I owe my choice of Professional endeavor because of the encouragement and persistence of Darwin. His faith in my ability and his doggedness for 15 years...... has been fruitful.

Dennis Earl Smith
Professional Member ACGG
Benefactor Life NRA
Life NAHC

one of us
posted Hide Post
"A picture is worth a thousand words."

Craftsman

Posts: 1530 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3059 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 19 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
THAT is a gorgeous stick....

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1169 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jesus that is a beautiful rifle.

Posts: 1278 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote