THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Who makes high quality lightweight slings and sling swivels?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who makes high quality lightweight slings and sling swivels?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted
The title says it all. I’m not looking for fancy or flashy, I’m gust wondering who makes the best lightweight and rugged slings and sling swivels?

I am looking for a simple high quality synthetic sling and some bulletproof swivels. I simple strap type sling would be fine as I’m most accustomed to wrapping up on a hasty sling, but I might consider a Whalen type sling.

I just want to know if something better than Uncle Mikes exists.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
For swivels and swivel studs, I've moved entirely to Grov Tec. They're American made out of actual steel, well-machined, and have fit every application for which I've needed them. They're not appropriate for your Rigby custom rifle, but for a hunting gun they're perfect.

Uncle Mikes shovels a lot of trash these days. While most companies are trying to improve the quality of their products, they've gone the other direction.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Recknagel make some great looking swivels both standard and locking but I’ve not used them. Presume NECG could get them for you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Two of my grandsons picked up a sling made by UltimateGunSling.com After seeing it, I'm getting one too...Some silicon, stretchy material that really stays on the shoulder

Posts: 3435 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jason....

Pretty much all of my swivel/studs are old Uncle Mike's, old Pachmayr(stab-in), and factory Sako. All work well.

All of my slings(heaven forbid any bipods) are classic Brownell Latigo......great as a quick-sling, and even as a target sling(with rear swivel detached).

Disclaimer.......personal preferences are......exactly that!! Smiler Smiler

Kevin

Posts: 409 | Location: The Republic Of Texas, USA | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
I’m kind of partial to the Butler Creek Mountain sling which comes with swivels. Good value for a whopping 20 bucks.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1213 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
Two of my grandsons picked up a sling made by UltimateGunSling.com After seeing it, I'm getting one too...Some silicon, stretchy material that really stays on the shoulder

Ok, so I have a couple of the Butler Creek Mountain Slings on order, one for myself and one for my daughter.

But I'm also going to have to order one of the Ultimate Gun Slings just to give it a try. It looks interesting and the inventor really got me with his sales pitch about the sling staying on your shoulder hands free: "We take the thumb out of hunting!"

If it works as advertised what am I going to do with my free right hand? Big Grin

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
these are by far the lightest of swivels i personally know of. midway has them listed as discontinued, but you can find new old stock or used.

pachmeyer sling swivels

as a side note - i had a rifle with them. i never used the rifle hunting, just punching paper.just useing them in my house, i personally did not like them.

also, they never cought on. i look at it as that if they were that good then they would have caught on.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote