THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    A Gunmaker's .404 Jeffery - Video Added
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Gunmaker's .404 Jeffery - Video Added
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just wonderful sir. A really nice DG rifle.

One question; did you do the Color Case hardening yourself ? Got very nice color and I am very curious about how you do it ? ( Ingridients and process )

Morten

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1137 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you!
The color case work was done by Turnbull. I've used them for a number of projects and have always been more than happy with the outcome.
quote:
Originally posted by The Norwegian:
Just wonderful sir. A really nice DG rifle.

One question; did you do the Color Case hardening yourself ? Got very nice color and I am very curious about how you do it ? ( Ingridients and process )

Morten

Posts: 557 | Location: Weathersfield, VT | Registered: 22 January 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

And do you still have the rifle or did you sell it?

Great looking 404 !

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2251 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am wondering about that trigger. It appears to be a Blackburn Trigger. But the pin that holds the trigger to the action looks much larger than what a normal Blacburn trigger would have. Did the Wells shop make their own triggers>

KJK

Posts: 676 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 December 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe it's a blackburn as well, though it's not marked. The pin just has a larger diameter head to it, but the trigger unit has the same hole through it as any other Mauser.
quote:
Originally posted by Kolo-Pan:
I am wondering about that trigger. It appears to be a Blackburn Trigger. But the pin that holds the trigger to the action looks much larger than what a normal Blacburn trigger would have. Did the Wells shop make their own triggers>

Posts: 557 | Location: Weathersfield, VT | Registered: 22 January 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charlie64:

And do you still have the rifle or did you sell it?

Great looking 404 !

Thank you! I still have it. After returning from the hunt I refinished the stock as I gave it a little character in the field especially when I rested the forearm against a tree to shoot the buffalo Smiler
I also sent the metal work back to the engraver for some new adornments and then re-blued.
It made for a nice showpiece at the trade shows this year, and although I did stick a price tag on it, I certainly wasn't disappointed that it didn't sell.
Pics of it currently after the recent work below:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Perfection in a bolt rifle!! Thanks for sharing.

DRSS

Posts: 1148 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Hopefully your hunt turns out at least half as nice as the rifle !

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4187 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's about as fine a safari rifle as can be had!

Posts: 20074 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It’s a true classic beauty, kudos.

Posts: 1015 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LongDistanceOperator
posted Hide Post
GOSH that’s pretty.

Posts: 7467 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I'll take it!

PM me with payment instructions.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13324 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
I'll take it!

PM me with payment instructions.

Whatever you offer, I will offer 10x less than you Big Grin It is gorgeous. Glad to see such a beautiful 404. What pride you must have to make and own this beautiful rifle

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27589 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I finally got around to editing a video of this rifle build. There's also a few clips from the hunt itself. The link's below:

https://youtu.be/ZiYQIBacYOI

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lovely video, thank you.

Posts: 456 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 April 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dukxdog
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle.

Very nice video.

GOA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member
Life Member Dallas Safari Club
Westley Richards 450 NE 3 1/4"

Posts: 859 | Location: Idaho/Wyoming/South Dakota | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have read a few articles written by Gunmakers who say that interested parties should buy their custom guns from them because their products are born from hunting experience.

The question then is - now that you have hunted that rifle would you change anything about it?

KJK

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a great question.
Short answer: No I wouldn't change anything. I suppose because I wasn't trying to re-invent the wheel with this gun (or any other for that matter). A flawlessly functioning, accurate rifle built in a classic style that's worked for the last 100 years.

As to the thought that hunting experience = better built rifles: I think that's fine as a marketing statement, but I'm not sure how true I've found that to be. I've been blessed to be able to hunt quite a bit across North America including several hunts in Alaska. Over the years I've changed my opinions on rifles quite a bit, but those changes really come down to personal preferences (blonde or brunette conversations). For instance, I no longer like slings on a rifle and I don't like high magnification scopes with large objectives, etc. However 95% of my clients also have a lot of hunting experience and they come to me with their own personal preferences. I suppose for the inexperienced client who has no idea what he wants in a rifle, the gunmaker with a hunting background would be beneficial. However I think most gunmakers would fit that bill. Most got into the trade out of a love of hunting.
The major difference between those of us that spend many days afield and those that hunt a little more conservatively is that the later group will be much easier for a client to get a hold of in the months of October, November and December Smiler
quote:
Originally posted by Kolo-Pan:
I have read a few articles written by Gunmakers who say that interested parties should buy their custom guns from them because their products are born from hunting experience.

The question then is - now that you have hunted that rifle would you change anything about it?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a great answer!

Posts: 456 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 April 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome video, love the follow up shot.
I like how you did the rear sight base and lug.
Would you rather do a barrel like this vs integral? You must save a heap of time and money!
Also what is the horse rasp you’ve got? It looks like it rips.

Posts: 630 | Location: Australia | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you! It's hard to say which way of doing a barrel I prefer. The integral certainly takes more time but not a lot more than making sights and installing (though in this case I only made the rear). I had already had a .404 Lothar Walther barrel sitting on the shelf so it made for an easy decision on this gun.
It's a Nicholson rasp. Certainly takes material away quick!
quote:
Originally posted by metal:
Awesome video, love the follow up shot.
I like how you did the rear sight base and lug.
Would you rather do a barrel like this vs integral? You must save a heap of time and money!
Also what is the horse rasp you’ve got? It looks like it rips.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
MNR
What kind of files and rasps do you use for all of your shaping work? Thank you.

KJK

one of us
posted Hide Post
Matt

I noticed you wet sanded the stock with the finish? What grit paper do you stop at ? One of your videos showed you hand rubbing a top coat on the finish ? What brand finish do you prefer ? Do you rub the finish out with anything like rotten stone ? Your work is really good and so is your videos. Keep it up !

Craftsman

Posts: 1530 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Matthew - Thanks for another very interesting and well made video.

Brilliant wood and metal work, both!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13324 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kolo-pan: I use Nicholson files and Liogier rasps. I use a farriers rasp for a lot of the rough shaping too.
I know you're starting out with your first stock project soon, my advice would be not to worry about buying all of the "right" tools for the job now. I made a lot of stocks starting out with a basic set of chisels and gouges, Fisher scrapers, A Nicholson pattern makers rasp, and different shaped blocks to back sandpaper. Then if you find that you like stockmaking after a few stocks it might be worth investing in fancier tools. Just my .02 cents.

Craftsman: The caveat I would give about my preferred finishing technique and brand is that I seem to be constantly changing it. Lately I've been using Timberlux which I've been happy with. I wet sand at 320 until the pores are filled. Then once at 400 and once at 600. Then hand rub the finish in once a day until I'm happy with the result, occasionally knocking it back with 600 grit. The last stock I did I ended up with 25 hand rubbed coats, but that's unusually high. I would say I typically do around 10-15.
Yes, I've rubbed it out with rottenstone before but typically do not.

Michael: Thank you!!