THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    A Gunmaker's .404 Jeffery - Video Added
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Gunmaker's .404 Jeffery - Video Added
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
(Pics down below the long read)
I've long admired the .404 Jeffery cartridge. After having had the opportunity to build a few over the years for clients, I've had a real hankering to build one for myself. I slowly collected components, but as with many pet projects, I could never find the time to invest in getting it off the ground.
Then last year Martin Rodriguez (adictosacazar) generously offered up a free Cape buffalo hunt in Mozambique on the Outfitters Offered and Discounted Hunts. I was fortunate enough to be chosen as the winner. I had the catalyst I needed to get moving on the .404 build.
I started out with a plan to build a no-frills, hardworking rifle that I wouldn't mind dragging through the muck of the Zambezi Delta. I'm not sure the exact moment I realized things went awry, but I believe it was when I received the metal back from the engraver with gold inlay and was in the process of shipping off parts to Turnbull for color case hardening.

The Action:
Well, I started with a 1909 Argentine with Wiebe bottom metal (I still have the action and bottom metal if someone is interesting in having a .404 built). I had the markings re-cut and was in the process of completing the other alterations when another action fell in my lap. I was out to lunch with a friend in Phoenix, AZ this past May, and we were discussing upcoming hunts. I mentioned my .404 project and he said he had the perfect action for it. A Fred Wells with dropbox bottom metal. The price was right and I have an affinity for the Wells family, so I thought it would be special to build this rifle on one of his actions. The only catch was that several years ago a gunsmith had started a build on the action and had ground the rear bridge off. He has since passed away and the project had remained dormant.
The first order of business was building a rear bridge. I made the bridge to match what it would have looked like coming out of the Well's shop. I attached it to the receiver with screws and then added a slight bevel where the bridge mated with the receiver and also beveled the edges of the screws. Off it went to Glenn Fewless (hst) to be laser welded. Glenn did an incredible job, seamlessly blending the bridge to the action and covering the screws. He would probably be upset if I mentioned how fast he turned it around as others might expect it every time. Let's just say it was quick!
Other than the bridge, the only other work to the action was to shape the trigger guard, make the screws, and fit the Recknagel G9 mounts.
Oh yeah, and I swapped out the bolt shroud for one made by Stuart Saterlee (Timan). The one that came on the action was a two position and I really like Stuart's. It keeps the classic Mauser look while adding the three position feature better than any I've seen.

The Barrel:
A Lothar Walther. 24" long. .625 at the muzzle and 1.200 at the shank. Light! I made the rear banded sight base with secondary recoil lug. The front sight is a Masterpiece from NECG and sling band is also from them.

The Stock:
The blank is from Roger Vardy. I had never ordered a blank from him before but had seen so many beautiful stocks of Duane's that were sourced from Roger that I figured I'd give him a try. Very impressed! Not just with the blank, but Roger was awesome to deal with.
NECG trap door grip cap. .800 thick Deccelerator pad. My cross bolts. Ebony forend Tip. Nickel Silver Inlay. 22LPI wrap around point pattern with mullered border.
And the inletted sling swivel is from Wayne at American Hunting Rifles (bitteroot). Love the swivel but what I thought was really thoughtful is Wayne ships the proper fitting screw bit along with the swivels!

Final thoughts:
The gun weighs 8.5 lbs without the scope. It shoots well. 1" at 100 yards if I let the barrel cool (it heats up quick!). I only shot off the bench to regulate the sights and to shoot a couple groups with the scope. Since then I've stuck with shooting sticks or off-hand as I figure I won't find a bench in the bush next month and need to stick with practical shooting. Under these conditions Recoil's very manageable. The action cycles like glass and I've gotten pretty quick at reloading. I'm shooting a 400grn Swift A-Frame at 2250fps. A special thanks to Lee Owens (LongDistanceOperator) for loaning me his .404 Dies.
And on that note a big thank you to Saeed and the entire group here on AR. Lord willing I'll be on my first safari next month and I wouldn't have had the opportunity if it wasn't for this fine group of hunters and gun nuts.
Video of the build: https://youtu.be/ZiYQIBacYOI

Posts: 561 | Location: Weathersfield, VT | Registered: 22 January 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Perfect!

Posts: 20076 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a beauty!!

One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
Outstanding tu2
Enjoy your hunt.

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1827 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Wow! Just Wow! tu2 tu2 tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good Lord! An amazing piece of artwork.

When you get the first scratch on it on your hunt, and can't abide it, pm me for a sale price...

Seriously, Good luck on your Buff hunt. You'll never be the same again. Lucky you!

p.s. Superb caliber choice for Buff!

Posts: 2581 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful job Matt, love everything about it!

Posts: 630 | Location: Australia | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is as good as it gets! Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3335 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
That is awesome work. What a treasure.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful work and execution as always Matt, best of luck on your hunt. On one of your pics it looks like there is some cast off on your stock, or is that just the picture? Thanks for posting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all!

Jim - Good eye. Yes, there's about 3/16" cast off.

Posts: 561 | Location: Weathersfield, VT | Registered: 22 January 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Superb job! Who did the gorgeous case colors?

Roger

Posts: 465 | Location: Fayetteville, GA | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Roger! Turnbull did the beautiful case work. They also turned it around in a week!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
MNR,
Very nice rifle !
Just shows what can be done in 6 months if one puts their time into it. The long waits are what keep me from having more custom rifles built. Hell I just can’t justify waiting a year anymore.
Good luck on your hunt!
4WD

Posts: 657 | Location: Western USA | Registered: 08 September 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gundog 64
posted Hide Post
Matt,
Such a nice example of fine craftsmanship, perfect in every detail.

Posts: 747 | Location: MI | Registered: 26 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice!

Posts: 986 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Superb craftsmanship.

one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Did you mention the engravers name? Might have missed it if you did.

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1629 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle and wonderful workmanship. Congrats.

Mike

Posts: 21092 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Roger,
I didn't mention it. He actually doesn't want his name on a public forum.
quote:
Originally posted by Scrollcutter:
Did you mention the engravers name? Might have missed it if you did.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mike! Watching you handle the Wiebe built .404 Jeffery in Uganda with Tim Herald was part of the inspiration to go with this caliber.

quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
Beautiful rifle and wonderful workmanship. Congrats.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A beautiful rifle. I do love Roger Vardy's wood and conversation.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Absolutely gorgeous!

Posts: 1417 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Now THAT's a DGR! Flawless rifle, well executed.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7510 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of adictosacazar
posted Hide Post
This is just AMAZING!!! cant wait to start hunting!!!! epic work! see you soon.

Phone: +34652316769
Email: adictosacazar@gmail.com
Web: www.adictosacazar.com
Instagram: @adictosacazar
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/adictosacazar

Posts: 494 | Location: spain | Registered: 01 September 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Shut up and take my money!!!!!!!!!!

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3022 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a magnificent piece of work!

Posts: 458 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 April 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a gorgeous bush basher! Happy hunting!

DRSS

Posts: 1894 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My dream rifle!

Posts: 1278 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
gorgeous! enjoy your hunt!

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
Very well done. Best of luck on your hunt.

Posts: 1209 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stunning rifle!

Ride hard, shoot straight and speak the truth.

Posts: 85 | Location: RSA | Registered: 21 August 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Very nice. Well done!!!

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1629 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle! Perfect lines and stunning finishes.

Best of luck on your hunt!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13329 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
That's a perfect example of a beautiful 404 befitting the Jefferey name. Sounds like your whole "muck rifle" was a total failure! Big Grin We'll be expecting a full report on your hunt. Good luck!

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Son-of-a-gun! I love it!

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful piece of work all around!

I have used one of those LW 404 Barrels, and a 9.3x64 in the same profile, they feel great, and look great.

Fantastic build, and of course, I am jealous you managed to find one of Well's actions!

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1468 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hurry off to Africa before you sell it. That IS what gunsmiths do with their guns, right?

Posts: 712 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by squeezenhope:
Hurry off to Africa before you sell it. That IS what gunsmiths do with their guns, right?

Hey, I asked first! Big Grin

Posts: 2581 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ha! You've got me pegged. Other than a few rifles I've inherited from family members, no gun I own is too sacred not to sell. I'm sure I'll be refinishing it after the hunt in time for trade show season and will welcome any offers on it Smiler
quote:
Originally posted by squeezenhope: