THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    CUSTOM OPTIONS--what am I forgetting?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CUSTOM OPTIONS--what am I forgetting?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of EDELWEISS
posted
Sooooo, Ive got my mind set on a couple custom builds of Mosin Nagants. Yeah I know there are "better" places to start; but I really wanna do these builds. My first build will be a 20inch barrel in a (shortened) full stock without the handguard. Im going to use Finn type sling swivels in the Russian points and Im going to use a contrasting coloured dowel to fill and strengthen the cleaning rod slot. I'll replace the military sights with sporter sights.

The other rifle will be a "brother" to the first with a 24" octagonal barrel but in a "half" stock. Im planning to use the same rear sight as the first but with a barrel band fron sight (maybe on both), and with a sling "stud" on the barrel.

Both guns will have butterknife bolt handles. I considered changing the caliber to 9.3x54r; but decided to keep them both 7.62x54r. Im planning to use a PE scope on one and a PU on the other.

Id love to have double set triggers; but I haven found a source. Im torn between the Timmney trigger and keeping the original, which while far from match grade, I sorta gotten used to them.

The plan is to use military stocks that are modified Im thinking a wooden cheek riser (removable for irons???), and adding wood for a semi pistol grip. Im thinking stippling rather than checkering; but I wouldnt say "No" to something like carved oak leaves and acorns...

These are going to be hunting rifles but I want them to look like custom guns done by smiths that know what they are doing--so all Im doing is writing the cheques...

What other options am I missing?

Size Matters--A study of PDW's, PCC's, and SBR's
http://www.onesourcetactical.c...rs.aspx#.U9NDS3ZundU

Posts: 205 | Location: NOTTINGHAM MD | Registered: 13 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of igorrock
posted Hide Post
quote:
The plan is to use military stocks that are modified Im thinking a wooden cheek riser (removable for irons???), and adding wood for a semi pistol grip. Im thinking stippling rather than checkering; but I wouldnt say "No" to something like carved oak leaves and acorns...

IMO Mosins original stock is so clumsy that it would be much better idea to buy cheap BOYD stocks and use them. In NitroExpress -forum is very good topic of custom Mosins so go and read it before you do anything.

Posts: 410 | Location: Finland | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of EDELWEISS
posted Hide Post
I guess what I was really asking IS are there any other options I should be considering. As for the stock, Ive looked at the Boyd's offerings but didn't find any I wanted for THIS project. Now if they had a "Mannlicher" fullstock then Id be all over it; but for THIS project I wanted to use what I had.

Posts: 205 | Location: NOTTINGHAM MD | Registered: 13 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EDELWEISS:
...Mosin Nagants. Yeah I know there are "better" places to start; but I really wanna do these builds.

1. The plan is to use military stocks that are modified.

2. I'm going to use a contrasting coloured dowel to fill and strengthen the cleaning rod slot....and adding wood for a semi pistol grip.

3. I wouldn't say "No" to something like carved oak leaves and acorns...

4. I want them to look like custom guns done by smiths that know what they are doing...

One of the numbered statements above does not go with the others.

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of igorrock
posted Hide Post
quote:
ow if they had a "Mannlicher" fullstock then Id be all over it; but for THIS project I wanted to use what I had.

You could always do like SAKO used to do with their own full stock models i.e. do the stock from two pieces and use steel ring to strenghten the joint. There is a short doveteil under the collar.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really can't envision a customized MN military stock that would look good. But of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of EDELWEISS
posted Hide Post
My original concept was for a custom rifle built like the Mauser Guild Guns from the 50's and 60's. The beauty of using the military stocks is that if they dont turn out well, a full custom stock is still an option.

I do think that its possible (at least so far), if I screw it up another surplus stock is about $40.00 and a Boyds stock about $100. The problem is Boyd does not make a "Mannlicher" style.

One of Us
Picture of igorrock
posted Hide Post
I have no idea if you soon know that but almost all finnish mosin military stock has been made from two pieces. There is no rational reason to do them from one piece.