Find
Notify
Tools

25 Rigby quick take apart
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Loosely based on H&H style, more like a claw mount

Posts: 3449 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duane,

Beautiful work. Does the release mechanism work by pulling one side, or both?

Every time I see your checkering in a close up, I feel like and idiot for even trying to checker. I've got a long way to go on that skill.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Damn! I like the heck outta that. Really like what you did with the tang treatment.

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1631 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Obviously love the rifle, but that piece of wood is about as good as it gets for my taste. Seems to fit that build perfectly.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1169 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Super nice, of course, and the TD system is the best for accuracy and longevity as the barrel stays on the receiver.

Posts: 17090 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Interesting. What action is it built on?

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2789 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very cool! Is the tang screw moved forward?

Posts: 425 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frst...this is a 275 Rigby (typo) Both "buttons" are pulled to the rear at same time. It is a reshaped Mexican action.

The tang extension stays put...there is a an extension on the bottom rear of the action tang that fits under to hold down the rear.

Probably should have posted more photos..fooling around with IMGUR is a PIA!

Roger Kehr did the engraving

Posts: 3449 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
How do you manage any ‘yaw’ when it goes together, just via inletting or is there a slot fore or aft that the claws engage?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well....the barrel acts as a V block...here's where I actually used glass at the shank to make it repeatable...Yeah...GLASS! (I know)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice Duane, beautiful rifle, and pretty neat system too!

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1474 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Very good, thanks.

But glass!!! Never thought I’d live to see the day...;-)

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
Probably should have posted more photos..fooling around with IMGUR is a PIA!

Try postimage.org. Much easier to use!

Thanks for the explanation of the rifle. Smiler

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2789 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SIKA98K
posted Hide Post
Now that is Neat !

Posts: 456 | Location: Ireland | Registered: 12 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Reeks of English rifle heritage... look forward to seeing it up close!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bloody hell thats a neat package for sure!
Never would have thought a claw mount T/D rifle was possible. Legend.

Posts: 630 | Location: Australia | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duane, I noticed it looks like you have an FN proofed bolt in what looks like a Mexican 1910/1936 action, did the bolt come with that action?

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
WOW!
She's a thing of beauty.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1214 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Fal Grunt:
Duane, I noticed it looks like you have an FN proofed bolt in what looks like a Mexican 1910/1936Go action, did the bolt come with that action?[/QUOTE\
\f
]Got the action and bolt from Gunmaker. Little surprised about the bolt. It is an intermediate bolt, but lug base to bolt face is a little longer...maybe .040..and it looked brand new

Countersunk barrel to accommodate..sorta like extending the C ring

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Duane, the world would be a better place if you were to have your own youtube channel showing how you create these beauties. The silver lining is you could make revenue as well. I bet many here would love to watch your videos.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Duane, I noticed it looks like you have an FN proofed bolt in what looks like a Mexican 1910/1936Go action, did the bolt come with that action?[/QUOTE\
\f
]Got the action and bolt from Gunmaker. Little surprised about the bolt. It is an intermediate bolt, but lug base to bolt face is a little longer...maybe .040..and it looked brand new

Very good, that was my guess, but I was curious.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Keen observation!

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Aw man Duane. I bet that was a fun project. That aft slip retainer is the slickest. A picture of the inside of the stock around the lungs and the rear action underside would be nice.
You have got to get on Postimage. IMGUR was good, but got finicky pretty quick at least for me.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5095 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well....the barrel acts as a V block...here's where I actually used glass at the shank to make it repeatable...Yeah...GLASS! (I know)

Was just hoping this is glass-bedded when you said that, as non-traditional as it may be I am sure it will immensely improve reliability of the zero on a setup like this.

A really beautiful rifle Sir!

Posts: 465 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 April 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No...not glass bedded in the normal sense. A ribbon of glass on each upper quadrant of the barrel shank only.

Full glass bedding is used only when one cannot properly inlet..My opinion

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Duane is absolutely right.

That is why all my rifles are bedded dancing

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Yes. For guys like me who are not as talented as guys like you's or for factory rifles in need of some help with accuracy/bedding issues.
One more .. Wow.
quote:
No...not glass bedded in the normal sense. A ribbon of glass on each upper quadrant of the barrel shank only.

Posts: 5095 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd like to see the metal part that's left in the stock when the action is out. I don't quite see how the tang is captured but I'd really like to see the whole thing if you get a chance. .250 Rigby same as .257 Roberts?

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 826 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clowdis:
I'd like to see the metal part that's left in the stock when the action is out. I don't quite see how the tang is captured but I'd really like to see the whole thing if you get a chance. .250 Rigby same as .257 Roberts?

.250 Rigby was a typo; should be .275 Rigby. (See Duane's post above.)

One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
glorious! thanks for sharing!

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
For Duane:
Much appreciate the "rest of the story".

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
clowdis - I believe the new tang lug slips under the Win. M70-esque tang extension (with a threaded boss added underneath) that is retained by the rear trigger guard/bottom metal screw. My guess is that the tang was shortened about 7/16 of an inch to make this possible.
Thanks again Duane, lots to take in here.

quote:
Originally posted by clowdis:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Duane for the additional pictures, and thanks custombolt for posting them.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
custombolt,
Wonderful! Thanks to you and Duane for posting "the rest of the story".

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 826 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes...thanks again to Custom Bolt. The tang was shortened only enough to make it flat rather then rounded

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How many different takedown options do you offer?

How do you and the customer figure out which one to utilize?

Posts: 1278 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hee Hee...read the tea leaves? No...I've tried to make TD's reliable, repeatable and economical...So far...two out of three.

My personal criteria is that they be adjustable for passible wear and do not require tools to take apart or put together.

So..basicaly two types ..take apart at the barrel threads or leave barel and action assembled.

Some suspicion about barrel thread separation, though in my experience,pretty much unfounded

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
\f

Wonder if that bolt came from a 1924 Mexican Mauser? They were made by FN, large ring intermediate action.

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't'know..but I like to save proof marks when possible for historical interest

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice work, but why does the the Front claw pull backwards. Wouldn’t it have been better for it to pull forwards then push backwards thus pushing rear claw into place and recoil lug to be firm against the recoil cross bolt. Ie so like a claw or zeigler scope mount?

Posts: 981 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote