New
Find
Notify
Tools

Decisions, decisions.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a left handed Charles Daly action, standard bolt face, that I am going to turn into a custom rifle. I am wavering between a 275 Rigby(7x57) or 318 Westley Richards. The action is at Gentry's right now getting a three position safety and will go soon to John McLaughlin for one of his Rigby replica bolt peep sights and may stay there for this build.

I have hunted all my life and never killed any big game with factory ammo. I don't intend to unless it is with some vintage stuff I come across for one of my guns. Like the the 75 year old Western 8x56MS used by a young lady to take her moose with my Mannlicher Schoenauer. I have reloaded for 45 years, including having to form brass for several wildcat and obscure rounds. The availability of factory ammo argument is lost on me.

The rifle will be along the lines of an English bolt gun. A little less drop in the stock perhaps to allow occasional scope use but pretty much in keeping with the style of English bolt rifles.

I waiver though, back and forth between the two. Yesterday it was the 275, today leans more heavily toward the 318. I have a MS in 8x56, a 35 Whelen, 9.3x57, 375 H&H and 400 Whelen. There are days the pragmatist in me pokes a 30-06 thumb in my ribs and I lean that way briefly. But, with a 300 H&H as well as a BAR 30-06, that ground is pretty well covered. A 257 Roberts and a 256(6.5x53R) Mannlicher are the next step down from the 30 calibers in my collection.

A 338-06 has never interested me. The 318 Westley Richards and the 275 Rigby both stir my soul. Perhaps it is the history associated with both. I welcome your thoughts on the two rounds and my dilemma. Thanks guys.

"...I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 993 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
Funny, I just emailed one of the brass makers last night about a group buy on 318 brass in an effort to bring prices down. Will report of I get a response.

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of .318's and I am a fan. The cartridge is extremely effective on game, can be made into a lightweight English stalker, and just screams Africa. On my first safari to Tanzania, I used it on plains game up to Zebra with handloads using R-15 and 250 Grain Woodleigh softs and solids. Only the zebra took two shots because I made a mistake and loaded a solid on top. A few years ago, I had a custom rifle built in .318 using a Lothar Walther barrel and it is a shooter! Dare to be different!

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2247 | Location: Houston, TX. | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I vote 318 just because I would like to see it get popular enough that Ruger will make up some rifles. I think it’s a cool round that didn’t deserve to be left behind.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3276 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your thread struck a cord with me. I feel your “pain”. Good luck with your choice.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 934 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote