THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Does the name Joe Balickie mean anything to you?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does the name Joe Balickie mean anything to you?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone know about him?
George Casswell has one of his guns for sale.

Posts: 10094 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In a word, legend. One of the masters.

Posts: 630 | Location: Australia | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Nice slim, superbly built rifles !

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4187 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It means it’s one heck of a nice rifle! He did some really outstanding work. His rifles are generally very slim, well balanced and the stock work is second to none. I can’t speak for all of them because mine is the only one I’ve ever actually shot but it’s also extremely accurate. Here’s mine.

Posts: 290 | Location: Coweta Oklahoma  | Registered: 08 January 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Joe was one of the earlier generation of gunmakers associated with the American Custom Gunmakers Guild. I met him through my Friend Gary Goudy. Joe's work is very good. Hard to go wrong with one of his rifles.

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In addition, he was part of a series of gunsmithing videos. His topic, if I remember correctly, was checkering.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Joe is a true gentleman. I missed seeing him this last April at the Southern Side by Side. I guess I will have to call him now!

Dennis Earl Smith
Professional Member ACGG
Benefactor Life NRA
Life NAHC

Posts: 311 | Location: Tygh Valley, OR | Registered: 05 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I usually find something to nit pick about when someone posts a photo of their rifle. Not with this one. The only question I have about it concerns the caliber, which I hope is somewhere in the range of 7X57. That would make it absolutely perfect in my mind.

Congratulations on the ownership of such a fine example of the gunmaker's art!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xausa:
I usually find something to nit pick about when someone posts a photo of their rifle. Not with this one. The only question I have about it concerns the caliber, which I hope is somewhere in the range of 7X57. That would make it absolutely perfect in my mind.

Congratulations on the ownership of such a fine example of the gunmaker's art!

Thanks! It’s a 270.

Posts: 290 | Location: Coweta Oklahoma  | Registered: 08 January 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks! It’s a 270

Close enough.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I talked to Joe today. He is going to sell off the rest of his firearms. He has rifles and shotguns. His wife is not well and he is not going to hunt anymore. At 87 years young he feels that money raised would be better used to care for his wife. If you are in the market, PM me.

(After I talk to Joe about you and your name so he will answer the phone , I am out of the middle). These are not FIRE SALE items. Full Custom works. He also builds furniture which he is willing to part with. I have no listings or descriptions of anything yet. maybe in a day or 2. Just trying to help a friend. Joe is in charge here.

Dennis Earl Smith
Professional Member ACGG
Benefactor Life NRA
Life NAHC

Posts: 311 | Location: Tygh Valley, OR | Registered: 05 November 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have his checkering video and his stock finishing videos. Excellent filming and very detailed.

Craftsman

Posts: 1530 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NOt much left to say other than he has a good reputation both as a person and a gunmaker..I am 85 going on 86 and I sure understand his situation, Im getting there myself, its about time to turn loose some or all of the good stuff..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The time comes for all of us. I have a matching pair of custom pre-war Model 70's that I bought for a token from a friend when he was 82 years old. He sold down to one clunker rifle. I have had those rifles for almost 50 years myself and am now starting to consider what is their future.

Posts: 711 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote