One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted
Delete

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1019 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice. Please post more.

Posts: 1284 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Coming along nicely. Look forward to future updates.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7521 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like quite an investment was made in machines and tools.

Next thing would be a set of lights and some good background material so that you can do more professional photos of your work.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
Two thumbs up from another young guy. The shop looks great.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Posts: 775 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the shop, I wish you success in your business and please continue to post photos.

Posts: 987 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Needless to say I am excited! Looks like a great start.

The bottom metal is heading to you shortly.

How big a chunk of ebony do you need for the forend?

What did we say on the LOP again?

Can't wait to see the progress.

Alex

-----------------------------------------
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Posts: 891 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks great and a nice looking piece of wood too. Alex will put it to very good use.

"I speak of Africa and golden joys; the joy of wandering through lonely lands; the joy of hunting the mighty and terrible lords of the wilderness, the cunning, the wary and the grim."
Theodore Roosevelt, Khartoum, March 15, 1910

Posts: 250 | Location: Central Massachusetts | Registered: 02 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. Very nice set up and fine work on the rifle.

Did anyone buy that shotgun to DR commission you had for sale on here?

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3431 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am digging the hardwood floor in your "shop". Nice touch. Much more classy than my neutral grey concrete.

The rifle looks great. I like the lines of the stock and long straight grip.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ab_bentley
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think you would be surprised how little I've got invested.

Machines are the cheap part. Adam

Ammo, you always need more.

Posts: 463 | Location: Dresden, Ohio | Registered: 09 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
It is always nice to see someone willing to inlet and shape wood without starting off with a 98% shaped and inlet piece from a pantograph.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
Alex, lets get some ammo my way!

682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1019 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What's the deal with the name of your company?
Is it some sort of a Texas slang that outsider don't know about or is it some Texas Freemason code word?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norseman:
What's the deal with the name of your company?
Is it some sort of a Texas slang that outsider don't know about or is it some Texas Freemason code word?
Uh, I think it's his name followed by the adjective "bespoke" and the noun "Gunmakers"? Bespoke is British-speak for "made to order".

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The mill and associated tooling was $3,000

If you run across another mill like that in that price range. I would be happy to have it!

Great looking shop too!

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
It's hard to find in TX, no doubt.

682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aaron,

Please post another picture of the front of the grip. You will see that the grain of the blank takes a twist that starts behind the grip and creates a "short cut" or "saw cut" diagonal grain flow that runs through both the action and forearm areas of the blank.

Neither of these conditions are desirable on a bolt action stock . Especially on a big bore rifle stock.

The short grain exiting the wood along the sides of the magazine box will likely crack as that wood flexes during recoil. The cross grain in the forearm will cause the forearm to warp towards the short grain side. On your blank the forearm will warp down and to the left.

Unfortunately the grain layout of this blank precludes it's use on any bolt action stock, let alone a big bore that will see heavy use.

Alex wants a rifle to use and eventually pass on to his son.This is not the blank to meet his needs. Perhaps you should bite the bullet and start over with a suitable blank.

Note: To properly grade and evaluate a stock
blank you need to see all four sides and the ends of the blank.

I'm not trying to be mean, nor do I care about being diplomatic here, I'm simply trying to see that a young man gets his first proper "custom rifle". One that he will be proud to pass on to his son. I think that Aaron is quite capable of building that rifle, he just needs to loose that terrible blank.

Dave Wesbrook

Posts: 437 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 20 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Sharp criticizism of a man's work or, in this case his use of wood, in the presence of his customer, the gunsmithing community, and the entire world would be more appropriately handled by PM. At least that is what a gentleman would do. But then again, that would preclude any pontification by those who think they walk with the gods.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
coffee

One of Us
Picture of LRx
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grenadier:
Sharp criticizism of a man's work or, in this case his use of wood, in the presence of his customer, the gunsmithing community, and the entire world would be more appropriately handled by PM. At least that is what a gentleman would do. But then again, that would preclude any pontification by those who think they walk with the gods.

x2

Enjoyed seeing your set-up Aaron. Thanks for posting. Hope you'll keep us updated on the progress.

Posts: 133 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 24 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grenadier:

X3
Nice set up Aaron, you should be very proud.

It always makes me sad to see a person use knowledge to tear others down. It really shows their own heart and in this case not a happy one.

I would be very proud to own a rifle of yours.

p.s. My shop is in Argyle and wander through Newark occasionally. Please post an address and ill drop by sometime.

Posts: 154 | Location: N. Texas | Registered: 26 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Dave Wesbrook,

You just possibly won "rudest, stupidest" public post I have ever seen.

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10053 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Moved to Walter's place...

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Little:
The delivery could have been better, but Wesbrook is right about the blank. We cant scrap the blank so plans are to take steps to prevent future problems. Ideas have been discussed with other very well known gun makers who feel the end result will warrant a fine rifle that stands time.

Sometimes it's pretty hard to find a good delivery system for the truth. Most times Dave doesn't look too hard for one either. I think you can salvage the blank OK but start with a better one next time. It takes more than "pretty" to make a good stock blank.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 826 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Does not seem real difficult or tough to send a private message that says hey...

"I noticed somethings about your blank...

You probably should do this..."

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10053 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
Yeah... Tough using "saensitive" terms to tell a mother her kid is ulgly.

In my part of the country you can say anything you want. You just have to follow it up with "Bless his heart." rotflmo

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would like to see better pictures of the to see whats wrong with it. Just to learn not to start a fight.

Posts: 1284 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree Dave's replies are far from warm and fuzzy. But I always take away thought invoking info.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok.
All kinds of people. Skin thickness varies.

I don't know Dave, but it appears to me he is trying to help Aaron.
I learned young the Old School have a way with words,and if you can let the passionate harshness get past you ....you will see the lesson.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
theback40,

things like "this could happen to you if you don't eat all of your leafy green vegetables as a child...".

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maxbear,

give me an example, like how to tell somebody his wife is really fat, and ugly to boot...

The buyer picked out the blank. That in a well mannered society that would be the end of the discussion, since he did NOT ask dave, or anyone else here, for an opinion.

wesbrook feels a need to be heard, and has yet to add anything of value to the forum.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Iss (Rich Kaiser),

Oh great (claimed) Ranger who gutted VC with a knife (claimed) but was never even scratched. No Purple Heart's or Bronze Star's to show for it Rich? You do claim a CIB, which everyone in Viet Nam received--Even the REMF's that never saw any combat.

Oh great killer of Elk who claims to have killed over 100 B&C Elk while meat hunting on public land. To bad you didn't save any racks or even take any photos.

The list goes on and on Rich. Perhaps you should start taking your Meds again and quit posting awhile so that people will stop laughing at you.

We can continue this through PM's if you would like. So long as you don't threaten to shoot me with your super-duper octagon barreled gun which never seems to arrive.

My apologies to the members or AR. One can only take so many insults before they are forced to respond. Rich crossed that limit.

Dave Wesbrook

Posts: 437 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 20 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dave, dave, dave...
response is on the new dave haters thread on Walter's Forum.

Rich

One of Us
posted Hide Post
relocated to the dave haters thread in Walter's Forum...

regards,

Rich
Sua Sponte

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well this has gotten interesting.

Maybe Dave could have put it a bit better, but I think his heart is in the right place and I'm not going to get bent out of shape about it.

I picked the blank from two pictures. It was sent to Aaron, and he made the final call on it. From talking to him, the twist was only visible on one side.

As Aaron said, I am a young guy (27), like him. We are both learning, albeit in different ways. I am loathe to toss the blank, I love the look and it is a bit painful to think about a piece of firewood that expensive... Some of you will surely say that is the risk you take, and it is, but Aaron and I talked it over and he is confident that bedding the rifle should alleviate the issue. I guess only time will tell.

In any case, I would appreciate if we let this be a thread where Aaron show the work done on the rifle, and not get too far off track. It is Aaron's thread, and his call, but I don't mind constructive criticism and learning from this whole experience.

-----------------------------------------
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Posts: 891 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
that should work well to improve accuracy on a consistent basis, and strengthen it stock overall.

Keep us posted...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well said Alex. All the technical wood discussions aside, I think it looks beautiful. I look forward to seeing it when its done and shooting it when you are back home.

"I speak of Africa and golden joys; the joy of wandering through lonely lands; the joy of hunting the mighty and terrible lords of the wilderness, the cunning, the wary and the grim."
Theodore Roosevelt, Khartoum, March 15, 1910

Posts: 250 | Location: Central Massachusetts | Registered: 02 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Reinforcing the forend and grip is a good solution to stiffening and offer addition strength to resist twisting. Wood of this nature tends to move regardless and the actions contemplate will minimize it. Are you planning to cross bolt? Internal or external. What are you using for stock finish? Epoxy might help however it's a lot of work. Ron (Canada)

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nam aside, the stock is looking good Aaron.