New
Find
Notify
Tools

front sights
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have enjoyed the pictures of all of your custom rifles. I want to know what my options for front sights are besides NECG. Thank you. Gary

Posts: 461 | Location: central California | Registered: 26 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
NECG sources all their sights from ERA/Recknagle in Germany.

Recknagle has tons of sights that NECG does not list(but can order).

Honestly, I get sick of seeing the same "NECG" style sights on custom rifles. Recknagle has some very nice stuff that looks less "aerodynamic".

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most of the Recknagel sights look like slight variations on the same theme, but there are a lot of variations! They do have a very interesting banded rear sight base with integral recoil lug. Sure beats the hell out of welding or dovetailing a lug to the barrel and a lot better looking.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 826 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted Hide Post
Made by ERA (never heard of them), it's kind of cool (on my 416)...

One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
JDA, that is a very slick setup!

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is it true that some of the banded front sights are glued on and not soldered?

Posts: 461 | Location: central California | Registered: 26 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryG:
Is it true that some of the banded front sights are glued on and not soldered?

Some gunsmiths use locktite "black-max" or some such....

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Over the past few years I have bought a handful from Jim Wisner and they have been very fine. Not sure if he is still making them.

Posts: 1572 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The "ERA" sight pictured is a Reckangel.

Posts: 988 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With the advances in the modern adhesives today... the bluing tanks do not get to a temperature hot enough to cause a de-bonding of the two part epoxy some are using. I learned of this just by accident. I was talking to another gunmaker who said that if done properly the joint is stronger than solder and less messy,a stronger joint under pressure, and less expensive to re-adjust to a client if needed. He also said the application of the firearm was a big consideration of whether or not to use the medium. For example...if the gun is going to be used for PD hunting and the barrel will reach temps higher than 500 degrees under shooting conditions...solder is the only solution for the gun. Most glues debond at 500 degrees.

Dennis Earl Smith
Professional Member ACGG
Benefactor Life NRA
Life NAHC

Posts: 311 | Location: Tygh Valley, OR | Registered: 05 November 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Those big white pop up so called African front sights are simply a joke, they do not serve the purpose claimed..All my guns have irons and I have used them in the past, but found them to be just too damn big and that I can see a 3/32 as well under any conditions and its more accurate... it's a gimmick, and a sucker is born every minute I'm told. Just my personal opine, if it works for some then good on ya.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't have a good close up but this is one of Wisner's on a M96 7x57 he did the metal work on.

Here's is another of Jim's on a M70 416 Remington.

Posts: 1572 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
If you don't want what everyone else has try reshaping a NECG. I happen to really like the old school Lyman banded ramp front sights so when building my .400 Whelen project I had Kevin Weaver reshape one to resemble the Lyman

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Those big white pop up so called African front sights are simply a joke, they do not serve the purpose claimed..All my guns have irons and I have used them in the past, but found them to be just too damn big and that I can see a 3/32 as well under any conditions and its more accurate... it's a gimmick, and a sucker is born every minute I'm told. Just my personal opine, if it works for some then good on ya.

Ray - I have not hunted with this 416 (and am not sure I ever will, as i'll probably just trade it away), but it sure does seem faster with the white bead than the tiny gold one.

You're probably right in that it won't make a lick of difference in the field.

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Imo the ultimate by Recknagle/ ERA/NECG.

The flip up Ivory night sight has saved the day for me on many twilight situations.

Just a couple wild pigs taken on twilight with the help of the Moon sight that would not have been possible with just the standard bead. Along with an indecent of a Lion in camp one night, I will always have this type of sight.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the moon sight is in a class of its' own.

Nice pig.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My problem with flip up and flip over front sights is how many times I've suggested to a hunter that his flip up or flip over is half way up..and on a couple of ocassions going in jesse after a shot buffalo or Lion, not good IMO..
I feel the same about flip up rear leaves although to a much lesser extent and some of my rifles do or did have them, but you must be aware at all times where your gimmick sights are..
More and more of my DG guns have a Talley QD peep and a low 1x4 or 3X fixed scope ability. My US rifle have the same and a 2x7x33 or 1.5x5 and a peep.. I like that Talley peep. Brockman in Gooding Id. makes a rear Talley base with a flip up peep that pops up when you remove the scope and its nice, but only makes it for certain rifles. I have a couple of old Redfield bases with Redfields handy flip up peeps, but have not used them in some time now.

This peep options works really well with rifles that are severely stocked of scopes as these rifles don't work well for me with irons.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Or you can have the Gunsmith build something different like this one done by Clayton Nelson some years ago.
With this as a rear.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one of the older Wisner banded ones, if you are interested I can measure the ID. Email please.

Jim

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5500 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote