THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Claw mounts - should they be hardened after fitting
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Claw mounts - should they be hardened after fitting
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
When fitting claw mounts to existing bases, once you have got a good tight fit should the claws then be hardened, and if so, how?

Posts: 979 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never saw it done. Would it hurt...probably not. suggest case hardening if you do it

Posts: 3435 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
Couldn’t hurt, I’d say if so it would be a good idea to surface harden the front mount and rear sliding lock.

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1017 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always read that if hardened they would warp. All that fitting lost. I’ve never tried it. I wonder if gas nitriding would harden them without warping.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2134 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Most I have seen are soft; if you harden them how can you file them to fit because once you solder them to the scope before fitting, then that will soften them and once you fit them, how can you harden them attached to the scope?. It's a circular problem/solution scenario.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Screw on bases are available from Recknagel. But ... this is really mostly a non issue..just leave them in he unhardened condition..They will be fine for about 100 years.

For strictly appearance. you might send them to Tunbulls..their color case is quite shallow, but the low temps they use makes very little chance of warp

Posts: 3435 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Right, speaking of Turmbull; he has a CCH procedure that can color any steel, including 4140, without issue; and it does not make it brittle. I have him do Ruger Blackhawk frames. I never check the hardness.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, my thoughts were just to leave them unhardened, but wondered what the old professional gunmakers would have done.

Posts: 979 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
Diamond files will cut...if you seek the trouble.

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1017 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Id think if you wanted to harden them and it sounds like a good idea to prevent wear, then harden them after you finish them for goodness sakes! I suggest color case hardening for looks otherwise just case harden the notches if that can be done.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41761 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote