New
Find
Notify
Tools

Duane Weide buttplates
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone know who is building the Duane Weide buttplates now? I believe they are located in Texas. Thank you for the help.

Ddj

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back - Robert Ruark

Posts: 966 | Location: Northwest Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe it is Will Nelson, uncledeck21@yahoo.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Has he made anything yet?

Posts: 420 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now that is the $64 question.

Posts: 711 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I sent an email to him months ago about the same subject. I never got a response.

Maybe someone else has had better luck?

Posts: 239 | Location: Southeast USA | Registered: 01 August 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Duane Weide
????
never heard of a Duane Weide. although I am spending more time than I would like weeding in the garden. Big Grin

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1827 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunmaker:
quote:
Duane Weide
????
never heard of a Duane Weide. although I am spending more time than I would like weeding in the garden. Big Grin

Yup! He needs to be back in the weed garden.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K W Johnston:
I sent an email to him months ago about the same subject. I never got a response.

Maybe someone else has had better luck?

We will see, I just dropped him an email.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Duane Weide
????

If you mean Duane WIEBE,He's a broken down old gunsmith with a bad back and a bunch of worn out machinery Wasn't able to hold down a real job anyway

YOU'LL SEE!

Posts: 3435 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
Good plate, like the wide toe, helps for oblivious reasons, just installed one on a Satterlee 450 Rigby I'm doing.

Posts: 1207 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Timan:
Good plate, like the wide toe, helps for oblivious reasons, just installed one on a Satterlee 450 Rigby I'm doing.

I guess steel or rubber butt plate really doesn't matter on a .450 Rigby.......pretty much going to leave a bruise......at least mine does.....Ha!

Posts: 222 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 April 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
quote:
quote:
Duane Weide
????

If you mean Duane WIEBE,He's a broken down old gunsmith with a bad back and a bunch of worn out machinery Wasn't able to hold down a real job anyway

YOU'LL SEE!

No Duane Weede, he's that farmer out in CO growing, well, the herb!

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4857 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Timan:

Pictures or it didn't happen, or doesn't exist.

Please.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
A Satterlee 450 Rigby. Satterlee M98, K&P CM, cut rifled barrel, sunny hill integral milling of the barrel.
Thread, index, and chambering by me here at S/A.
My client and I decided to go American style on the stock, a change of pace from the British style rifles everyone is so fond of. Oh yea, don't forget the Wiebe solid steel butt plate, as I said before I really like the wider toe, as compared to narrower more jabby stabby to the shoulder Neidner and McFarland designs.
This one will be engraved and is getting Smithson rings. It's work in process obviously.

Posts: 1207 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
Interesting choice of buttplate given the caliber.

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Nicely done Stuart!

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4857 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bluefish:

No kidding!

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2628 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by df06:
quote:

No kidding!

And I thought my metal buttplate 8x57 was tough!

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3022 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
quote:

No doubt. Guess who gets to file it in? Such joy.....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
UDAMAN Stuart...I'm amazed how many "custom gunmakers" leave this up to the client

Posts: 3435 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
quote:
UDAMAN Stuart...I'm amazed how many "custom gunmakers" leave this up to the client

I enjoy shooting the rifles I build. It gets you outside and some exercise too, running setting up targets etc.
It's good for ya. Sure this 450's gonna buck a little harder.....not worried, let 'er buck.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stuart,

That is a nice looking rifle. Really like the quarter rib profile and the stock blank. Is it going to have scope?

Posts: 222 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_TX:
Stuart,

That is a nice looking rifle. Really like the quarter rib profile and the stock blank. Is it going to have scope?

Thanks Mike,
Yes it will be scoped with Smithson QD rings.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks great Stuart!

I never heard back from the gent who bought Duane's bottom metal business. I sure did like those .404 boxes.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep...I'm pretty disappointed...I'll need some product myself in the not too distant future

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hate to hear that Duane. Always frustrating when products that have been available for years suddenly go away when you need them.

Maybe someone else will step in to fill the niche.

Posts: 239 | Location: Southeast USA | Registered: 01 August 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All the programs (Lotsa $$$$)...maybe wasted

One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
Who ended up buying the machine and programs?
Edit: never mind, I see it listed above.

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1017 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ya know...I just sighted in a light weight custom 338 Win Mag with a Wiebe buttplate. No pain, no bruise...perfectly comfortable not my design. I simply copied a MS from the 1950"s.

Thing is...the buttplate has a deeper crown and is wider at the toe..Not rocket science...simply spreads recoil recoil over greater area.

This is not a sales pitch...I now longer have the program/ VMC to make them and frankly do not know if they will ever be available in the future...Damn disappointed

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one of Duane's buttplates that I would sell if someone wants it. I do not remember what I paid for it, but will sell it for $325, which is what it will cost to replace it with a McFarland buttplate. It is listed in the classified ads.

Posts: 172 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Duane Weide
????

I thought he was Weedy... the new pot seller here in Denver. Oh, it is Weibe.... now that is different....
However, he is making "butts"....

Posts: 10094 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
Did Will Nelson live in Lumberton, TX Duane? Near Beaumont, NE of Houston.

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1017 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Is Will Nelson from Dexter Arms Duane? The website is dead. www.dexterarms.com

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5086 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No connection to Dexter that I know of. Don't know his location history..

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Duane, I Googled Duane Wiebe Will Nelson parts and this popped up. Scammer geek?

Dexter Arms dexterarms.com
Since our last update, we've purchased a CNC Mill and part designs from Duane Wiebe of Custom Gun and Rifle, and are currently in the process of vetting the ...

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5086 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Depends on the client, all a recoil pad does is give the gun a running start at your shoulder!! according to a excellent gunsmith I know..

I tend to agree, but the largest bore I ever shot with a steel butt plate was my 404 Jefferys and a 450-400 double rifle..held properly it never bothered me until a couple of years ago when I was a youngster! old

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ya know...I just sighted in a light weight custom 338 Win Mag with a Wiebe buttplate. No pain, no bruise...perfectly comfortable not my design. I simply copied a MS from the 1950"s.

Thing is...the buttplate has a deeper crown and is wider at the toe..Not rocket science...simply spreads recoil recoil over greater area.

This is not a sales pitch...I now longer have the program/ VMC to make them and frankly do not know if they will ever be available in the future...Damn disappointed

I shot that same gun with 210, 225 and 250gr handloads. I noticed a little attitude developing with that steel butt plate and the 250 grain bullets (the 210 and 225gr were not bad at all). It is light gun - built on a g33/40 action and it was built to be a light weight elk rifle and it's a shooter!