New
Find
Notify
Tools

Two Target Rifles
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Here are two of my favorite target rifles.

On the left is a Nesika Bay Model J, single-shot in 6mm-BR, with a 27" Hart barrel, 1-8 twist, Jewell trigger, home-built aluminum bedding block, Warner #1 rear sight, Gehmann front sight, adjustable comb, adjustable butt plate and forend accessory rail. Tapered mount for scope matches. This was built by a late friend of mine for 300 yard prone matches.

On the right is my Palma gun, RPA2000 action, single shot, .308 Win, 30" Hart barrel, 1-12 twist, pillar bedded in a Richards Micro-fit laminated stock, Anschutz adjustable comb, adjustable butt plate, RPA rear sight, RPA ladder front sight, forend accessory rail. Unertl blocks for scope matches. My friend chambered it and I did the stock work. Not real pretty, but it sure does shoot.

Posts: 276 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am a retired rifle competitor. I have target rifles for position shooting at 50ft (.22LR) and 200 yds slow fire.

I shot my .22 today for the first time in decades and I need more practice and to find some proper targets for 50 ft. I shot only offhand as I can't get into the other positions.

I tried to get into my leather shooting coat and can't.

Here is one of my target rifles. This is the 40X in 6mm Rem. International, an old cartridge from the 60's. It's a 250 Savage case with the shoulder pushed back some to make a longer 6mm neck.

The 6mm Br has to be similar. I used about 30 grs of 3031 behind a 75 gr Sierra.

It has the 15 Unertl on it that I use with the 40X 22 LR. @ 50ft.

We used irons in the 200 yd. centerfire matches.

Get the 'power' or optic that your eye likes instead of what someone else says.

When we go to the doctor they ask us what lens we like!

Do that with your optics.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting John. Target rifles can be pretty too.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 826 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice!

I have a Remington 700 action that I'm thinking of building into a 6mm International. I just retired (from work, not shooting) so maybe I'll have time for that project. Where do you shoot?

Posts: 276 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 6mm BR just has to be a more 'modern' cartridge.

Check to see where you would get brass. I'll bet that the 6mm BR has Lapua or some upscale brass and the old 6mm Rem. Intl. is just made from the 250 Savage or today I suppose could be made from 308, 22-250 or whatever.

I used and re-barreled to a 1-10" twist as all I was interested in was 200 yds and light bullets to have a fast barrel time. That may have not been optimum however the rifle was very accurate.

A negative to it's accuracy was hitting the spotter pin again and again that delayed the target scoring in the pits.

Get the 'power' or optic that your eye likes instead of what someone else says.

When we go to the doctor they ask us what lens we like!

Do that with your optics.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Savage_99, Yes, Lapua is the source for brass. My friend left me about 150 loaded rounds and a new box (100) of Lapua brass. Norma also makes 6BR, but what I have should last a long time. Come spring I'll try the 107's at 600 yards.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
John,
Nice to see another RPA2000 being used. I bought mine from a former Palma team member. Got a good deal when he switched to Barnard actions. This rifle inspection stickers from Bisley and I think the 1999 matches in South Africa. Came with two spare Kreiger barrels but I haven't managed to wear out the original one yet. It is ridiculously scary accurate and helped me win the Wisconsin State LR championship for Expert class in my second year of competition. I'm now Master class (haven't shot LR in three years) and have found the importance of wind reading skills outweigh mechanical accuracy. These Master/High Master guys can shoot!!

I'm curious how yours is bedded? Mine is in a Robertson or McMillen fiberglass stock and was done by Alan Warner. He silver soldered two trapezoidal blocks onto the bottom of the action that the screws go into. The action locks into the stock like a bank vault door.

What trigger are you running? I originally had a Davies but it was unreliable at the lighter weight I tried to run it at (2.5lbs instead of 3.5). I replaced it with a Chombart/CG trigger but had to make a new hanger for it. Good trigger, but the stock's grip is really too big and I can't get the shoe far enough back for comfort. I can barely get my first finger pad on it, but that makes me concentrate more so maybe it isn't a bad thing. I also made a longer bolt handle to get a little better leverage. The only nit I can pick on this action is it can be difficult to get he round into the chamber from position due to the bolt design.

Pics
Rifle with old Davies trigger

Action with new trigger and my adapter

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnD:
Nice!

I have a Remington 700 action that I'm thinking of building into a 6mm International. I just retired (from work, not shooting) so maybe I'll have time for that project. Where do you shoot?

I shoot at Butner, Camp Lejeune, Camp Perry, Lodi a couple of times and a few other places on rare occasion such as Raton, NM, Sloughouse, CA, Byers, CO, Phoenix, AZ.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 826 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
gzig5 -

I did the bedding in stages. I planed the top of the blank flat, then used a router with template bushings and a straight bit to take out most of the wood. I didn't have a milling machine then. Gouges, chisels, rasps and sanding for the rest. The pillars are aluminum and support those trapezoidal blocks, which, incidentally are part of the RPA, not a Warner addition. I used steel-filled epoxy behind those lugs and regular epoxy for the rest. The pillars are just proud of the wood on the underside, so the trigger guard only touches the pillars. I have the standard RPA trigger (which seems to be acting up right now; better to discover it in January than at a match).

I've been to Perry a few times for SB, HP and LR. Most of my shooting is at Forbes near Albany, NY. Nice to have a fully equipped range with fifteen 200, 300, 600, 800, 900 and 1000 yard points twenty minutes from home.

One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
Very nice rifles! I have been meaning to make a prone stock for my Suhl 150 .22 but haven't shot it with the original 3-P stock and open sights for awhile.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Posts: 775 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
John, thanks for the correction on the lugs. I was misinformed. I know Warner did the bedding and chambered two of the barrels. The RPA is a good trigger, I'm sure you'll sort it out

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote