New
Find
Notify
Tools

Treasure "rediscovered"
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Several years ago I was in a neat little gun shop just over the Texas border in Oklahoma. They had a lot of guns you would just not expect to find and prices were in line with what one would expect until I came across a little petite Mauser in 270. Beautiful wood, fantastic workmanship in both metal and wood, and priced for a song...about $1500 as I recall. No name anywhere but it wreaked of quality. For that price I ran to the counter with it. I have shot it a little but never have worked up a good load for it. Today I pulled it out of the safe with the intent to check all the screws, make sure everything is properly torqued, etc before I get serious about load development. Action screws were a little loose so I pulled off the stock out of curiosity. My first surprise was that there was no bedding compound anywhere in the stock. Maybe I should not have been surprised as the inletting is marvelous on the outside. So, I really start to look at (and admire) the precision work on the inside of the stock and I get my next really BIG shock. Stamped inside the stock is " D.W. Wiebe"
The rifle features:
2 position safety
skeleton grip cap with the inside checkered
skeleton butt plate with inside checkered
checkered bolt handle
sculpted bottom metal
23.5 inch barrel

Posts: 376 | Location: USA | Registered: 26 March 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey, you don't get to post that tale w/o pics!! Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wiebe as posted by Duane in earlier posts.
quote:
Originally posted by bghntr416:
Several years ago I was in a neat little gun shop just over the Texas border in Oklahoma. They had a lot of guns you would just not expect to find and prices were in line with what one would expect until I came across a little petite Mauser in 270. Beautiful wood, fantastic workmanship in both metal and wood, and priced for a song...about $1500 as I recall. No name anywhere but it wreaked of quality. For that price I ran to the counter with it. I have shot it a little but never have worked up a good load for it. Today I pulled it out of the safe with the intent to check all the screws, make sure everything is properly torqued, etc before I get serious about load development. Action screws were a little loose so I pulled off the stock out of curiosity. My first surprise was that there was no bedding compound anywhere in the stock. Maybe I should not have been surprised as the inletting is marvelous on the outside. So, I really start to look at (and admire) the precision work on the inside of the stock and I get my next really BIG shock. Stamped inside the stock is " D.W. Weibe"
The rifle features:
2 position safety
skeleton grip cap with the inside checkered
skeleton butt plated with inside checkered
checkered bolt handle
sculpted bottom metal
23.5 inch barrel

Posts: 538 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: 14 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Corrected! Thank you! Sometimes my fingers do not do as they are told when I type!

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
[IMG:top] [/IMG]

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tried and tried to size pics properly but failed. Apologies. JB

One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
$1,500 won't cover the parts for that build.
Congrats, on a hell of nice find.

Posts: 1210 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice find, and a steal at $1500.

Posts: 630 | Location: Australia | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
The find of the year if purchased within the last 10. Congratulations. to you and Duane on another fine piece.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5099 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I feel very blessed indeed. I purchased it about 5 years ago if I recall correctly. I have found some pretty good deals but this one will be tough to beat.
JB

One of Us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
Whew! lotta gund for the mon!!

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
How would you like bragging rights that you doubled your money on your gun purchase?

Unabashed offer here Cool

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1214 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
5 years ago or yesterday, nice keeper JB.

Posts: 5099 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That "little gun shop" wouldn't happen to have been Murf's Guns in Duncan......would it??

It's a good gun shop.

Kevin

Posts: 409 | Location: The Republic Of Texas, USA | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful! I'd say you did way better than the guy who discovered Forrest Fenn's hidden treasure!

Posts: 1723 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Kevin. It was not in Duncan. I can't remember the shop or the town but it was just north of the Texas panhandle. I was visiting a friend in Dumas and he took me over there. I wouldn't mind finding that place again...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like it may be a bit north of the Stratford area. Maybe Boise City or Guymon.

Kevin

Posts: 409 | Location: The Republic Of Texas, USA | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now I'm just mad at you for such a wonderful find!

The price? You didn't buy it. You stole it and you should be promptly reported to the proper authorities!

Zeke

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Sounds like what Ron Kesslering's was in the late 1990's and early 2000's in Mount Vernon, Washington.

He had pallets of Weatherby Mark Vs, Dakotas, 700 Custom shop guns, and about 20 or more custom rifles by everyone Ottmar, Biesen, prices were amazing for what it cost to build them.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fabulous. What a find.

If the inletting is that good, you know a lot of craftsmanship has gone into it.

DRSS

Posts: 1905 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
A nice bump for a nice build.

quote:

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Another.
quote:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle, great score!

Posts: 1278 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
What an awesome find. I'm going to have to make the trip thru there in March and see what else they have

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote