THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Chamber options for CZ 527 in 223?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chamber options for CZ 527 in 223?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I’m wanting to have my 223 CZ 527 rechambered or rabarreled to something that would be a little more appropriate for whitetails (.24 caliber or greater here in VA).
Keeping in mind that it is fed by a single stack detachable magazine, what are some of my better options?

Posts: 190 | Location: Mountains of Virginia | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
6x45

Posts: 1012 | Location: Imperial, NE | Registered: 05 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
wonder if anyone did a .350 Legend in a CZ

Posts: 6380 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
6,5 TCU, 25 Sharps

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RichJ,
The Legend is what I’m really thinking of. Just wondering if it will feed from the mag.

Posts: 190 | Location: Mountains of Virginia | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think that any of the TCU round would be adequate. A friend has a couple of 7mm TCU’s built on Ruger MKII’s and a cute little 6x45 built on Sako. Any would be adequate. I like the 7mmTCU, myself. The 300 Blackout would work, too.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3285 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
there's a comment on one of the google hits about AR mags needing to be modded to work.

quote:
Originally posted by Ken in VA:
RichJ,
The Legend is what I’m really thinking of. Just wondering if it will feed from the mag.

Posts: 6380 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For the price of a re-barrel you could probably just get another CZ 527 in 6.5mm Grendel (I've seen Beech stocked 6.5s recently for less than $500 shipped) or 7.62x39 that would be just fine for deer. If ever you needed a reason to buy another gun, you have one now.

IMO, regarding the TCUs and 6x45s etc. the CZ 527's magazine will limit the use of heavier, high BC projectiles. Those TCUs work great in TC Contenders as there's no magazine to worry about.

If you're really interested in the .350L then it might be a good idea to see if you can either get some dummy rounds or to take your calipers to the factory magazines to see if they're fat enough for those oddball cases.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Only problem with that is CZ only offers the lefty 527 in .223. So I'm left to let my imagination wonder. LOL

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by richj:
wonder if anyone did a .350 Legend in a CZ

Wanna bet it's just a rebore away? if the muzzle is >0.500, i bet you could get that done

As for me, i would SPECIFY a .358 groove, just to make certain

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38458 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You could build a 6.8 SPC and form brass from 22 Nosler so that the bolt face wouldn't need alteration.

I have a 350 Legend and it's been a hoot so far. I think that you would need a heavier contour barrel than the factory American tube.

John in Oregon

Posts: 938 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
ive got a 6.5 Grendel on the cz527 and its a great handy rifle.... also have a 204, a 223, and a 7,62x39...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2826 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
6x45 is an outstanding deer caliber, myself, my kids, grandkids have all shot deer with a custom sako L-61 that I built some many years past...It has a long long record of one shot kills, mostly use 75 gr. GS Customs and the old discontinued 75 gr. Barnes TSX...It just works if you keep shot under 200 yards or about like a 243 Win..Some like the 100 gr. bullet, but I passed on it as too slow and too many runs..the 75 to 85 give a very high percentage of instant kills on Pronghorn and Mule and whitetail deer.

And your not crowding the magazine..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41814 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
The 6x45 and the 25x45 are going to be an easy barrel swap or rebore for you, both easy to load for and very effective on Deer.
In the 6x45 I loaded the 85 grain Sierra HPBT to 2800 fps and killed 3 deer with it all one shot kills, 100+ yards to 315 yards.
The 25x45 I killed 2 deer with the 90 grain Sierra HPBT at 2700 fps also one shot kills one at 168 yards and the other 290.
Out of the 5 deer mentioned all had an exit wound except one and that was a chest on shot with the 6x45 at 145 yards.
Both very fun cartridges to play with and very easy. Load with TAC or CFE223.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’m looking at a 22 Nosler necked up to 257.......

Posts: 435 | Location: South Central PA | Registered: 11 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 257x50:
I’m looking at a 22 Nosler necked up to 257.......

That's interesting
Boom stick and I were just discussing that very cartridge on another thread. I'd like to put it together on an AR15 platform.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’m having a .223 mini Mauser rebarreled to 350 Legend. Only the feed ramp will need modified.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2140 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
not sure a straight case is going to stack well in a tapered magazine with shoulder bumps.

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1839 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
James,
iirc, Savage is using the same mag, 350 and 223 -- and certainly some people are just doing a rebarrel --

i'd REALLY want it in .358, not 9mm

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38458 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
you want to do it right the first time, don't you?

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1839 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote