New
Find
Notify
Tools

My first Custom Rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
To begin with bear in mind I am NOT a gunsmith, I have no formal training in gun building beyond immersing myself in gobs of books, videos and trial and error. I got tired of going to gun stores and being disappointed with the quality of new off the shelf rifles so I decided to build my own. I taught myself to rust blue, checker, inlet and finish wood. This was my first try so bear in mind before being too critical, but constructive criticism is welcome as its the way I learn.
I started with 94 Swede (16" barrel) From the onset my goal was to implement some ideas I had floating in my head that I thought were nice, but obviously are not for everybody. From a rough semi inlet I built a full length stock. I added a checkered walnut buttplate, and an antler burr from a shed I found as a tip on the end of the stock, a feature I personally love as its a personal touch, but again its not for everybody. The bolt was threaded and a walnut ball with a matching threaded insert. Weaver side mount provides use of irons without the obscene over under rings I see. Steel tube weaver 4x with german reticle works great here in the mountains. I glass bedded everything, and accuracy proved to be phenomenal with a 5 shot group at just under 95 yards from a rest. Trigger is a timney. A good friend of mine did the engraving.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is definantly different. Very nice execution.

Posts: 41767 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andrew, very cool! Looks like custom 1950s Mannlicher work :-)

Posts: 20083 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got 4 other projects ongoing at the moment, in various stages of work when I can find free time.
First is a 98 mauser, 30-06 Shilen barrel I installed, finished reamed and headspaced myself, has 3 leaf express sights, case hardened bolt shroud, scope rings, grip cap, and bottom metal. Stock for it is done:

Bolt body for it:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Second ongoing project, picked up an orig. Oberndorf stock some dummy cut a bolt relief in. Stock is still getting tung oil, has beautiful honey color with striping. Forged a bolt to match the bolt relief cut. Metal is a 98 mauser, claw rings/bases and a B. Nickell scope.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Third project is posted in gunsmithing forum, a really nice Wundhammer or King stock 1903 springfield build that is just starting.
Fourth build is for my boy, 98 mauser with 243 Shilen barrel, all that's done on it so far is metal work, not decided on stock yet, but will most likely be something more modern for a young boy, different colored laminate in a classic styled stock most likely

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know much ,
But it looks to me like your getting the hang of it...tj3006

Posts: 605 | Location: OR | Registered: 28 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
welcome to the rare world of craftsmen

Posts: 13440 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
I particularly like the bolt knob and fore end tip.

Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
An armed society is a polite society!
Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

Posts: 899 | Location: Ammon, NC | Registered: 31 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I like the antler fore end tip, and the bolt wood knob. Kinds of things you see on guns in Austria and Switzerland, especially by those buchsenmachers (gunmakers) up in the Berg (mountains).

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful workmanship. You're definitely getting the hang of it!

Taking orders yet? Wink

When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace - Luke 11:21
Suppose you were an idiot... And suppose you were a member of
Congress...But I repeat myself. - Mark Twain

Posts: 203 | Location: Back home in Texas | Registered: 20 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the kind words. Its taking me 6 months to get one rifle done, mainly working a few hours on sundays. Got the bolt shroud and safety installed and working properly yesterday as well as assembling the scope rings.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Somehow forgot to post the 5 shot group with the swede, this was 90 yards Hornady factory custom ammo. 16" barrel, 4x scope

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tend to build rifles with some type of Austrian or European flair, read Speeds book too many times I guess. This one I cant take credit for 'building' but I did restock it and add a grip cap and cartridge trap. Had to refinish wood and reblue metal. Basically took two crappy rifles and fixed a bunch of things to make one really nice rifle. This was also my first rifle I drilled and tapped myself, first metal checkering and first soldering job. Took it hunting last year and got a fat doe at 40 yards. Scope is a Weaver steel tube 2.5x

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Normally I wouldn't care for a wood bolt knob...or an antlered forend on the stock. It's a little refreshing to see something that's not cookie cutter, and well ...done well enough that it looks like it belongs. If the pictures where in black and white I'd think I was looking through a 25/35 year old magazine. Wink Thanks for posting!

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
Nice work made even better with your personal flair added to it. Do you do your own casehardening?

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1214 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
What do you mean 25-35 years ago? Check out Blaser today:

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3039 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great work. Not necessary my style on everything; however, great craftsmanship (especially without formal training).

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
The sole purpose of a rifle is to please its owner.

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10054 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice work, Andrew!
An Austrian or European influence is always nice... and touches like the wooden bolt knob and the antlered forend tip make it your own.
-One can't argue with that grouping either!
Thanks for sharing.

salute

"I offer neither pay, nor quarters, nor food; I offer only hunger, thirst, forced marches, battles and death. Let him who loves his country with his heart, and not merely with his lips, follow me." To the Garibaldi legion besieged in Rome.

Giuseppe Garibaldi (1807–1882), Italian patriot, soldier. Speech, July 2, 1849. Quoted in Garibaldi's Defence of the Roman Republic, G.M. Trevelyan.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You do fine work; did you do that CCH?
I like the antler schnabel; wish I had thought of that.
You said you aren't a gunsmith; well, you are damn close to being one.

Posts: 17095 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Many thanks for the compliments! The CCH was done by a good friend in TN. I have a line on a kiln so maybe later this year I can start doing my own CCH parts. I work 45 hours a week, 3 kids and a wife and full time college for RN, so projects and learning takes time

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well for a guy who claims to be "learning" you've got a hell of a lot figured out. Very nice work.

SCI Life Member
DRSS

"In those savage countries success frequently depends upon one particular moment; you may lose or win according to your action at that critical instant."

Sir Samuel Baker

Posts: 297 | Location: New Scotland, Canada | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigUglyMan:
Well for a guy who claims to be "learning" you've got a hell of a lot figured out. Very nice work.

Thank you, I try to feed myself as much information as I can. In this digital age I would say it is much easier to learn things on your own than it once was.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andrew
You have survived our formal education process , acquired that most precious ability to learn on your own, and the self confidence to exhibit your work, which I think is exquisite. You have my most honest respect. You, sir, are now at the place where only you are not satisfied by your efforts.

Posts: 132 | Location: Kenai Peninsula,Alaska | Registered: 31 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the kind words. I have yet to complete a rifle whereas I could not find a fault albeit small. I guess that is something that comes with more time. I am 35 and just started college after 3 kids, applying for nursing school in the spring. I did get a job offer though a few months ago from a shop in TN, pay was excellent doing restoration work and custom builds but picking up and moving that far away is not a viable option right now. I have to admit though, of any thing said of my work, the job offer was the highest compliment I could receive. Gave me the big head for a few days