THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Wiebe Bottom Metal/Difference Between Swift Blackburn and SunnyHill
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wiebe Bottom Metal/Difference Between Swift Blackburn and SunnyHill
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am looking for a Wiebe or something with a similar design Bottom Metal for a Winchester Pre 64 standard 30.06 3.395” length, open to offers.
4WD

Posts: 657 | Location: Western USA | Registered: 08 September 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kolo-Pan:
Why don't you just order one from Swift?

https://www.swiftbullets.com/p.../blackburn-gun-metal

Just be patient with your order. I order a .375 H&H Mauser bottom metal from them last Fall, as of late Spring they had no idea when they would get them made. I have not heard a peep from them and finally found one from a forum member.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I neeeded the same a few months back...Not in stock and absolutely no idea when they would be making them.....but...they had a unit for the 416 Rem Mag! The easy fix was to squueze the front of the box to make proper stack...

Posts: 3435 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Wonder if Wisner would chime in.

How much "savings" was there between a silver solders vs 1 piece bottom metal

Posts: 6361 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jump on it young feller!

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Personally...I'm not sure of a savings....You can let a CNC just "do it's thing" without fooing around with flux, rod and torch and clean up afterwards

Sunnyhill welds the guard to the frame,,,seems to work for them and there's maybe the bit of an advantage to interchangeable.

LLC or not...it's still gotta be profitable. Cost of material and tooling and coolants has skyrocketed....then you have to get rid of chips and used coolants...which can be a little challening .

Example: 2017 I bought a Ram for about $42000. I was surprised when offered $43000 on a trade for a new one...Cost of comperable new one.....$74000!!!

Posts: 3435 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
I bought a Ram for about $42000.

I thought gunmakers didn't make any money. Har!! Big Grin

I'm a little tired of your supposed humor.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well....give all "just welding" ideas a try and report back

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Working on it. Had a local guy machine a trigger guard and a floorplate. Now I have to find a tig welder and then fit the floorplate. Then I'll try making a box.

Where's the floor plate latch?

Posts: 1235 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
popcorn

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have gotten some comments/miss understanding about the little dancing for joy fella. I have removed it and will sit on the sidelines eating some popcorn instead.

J Wisner

popcorn

Posts: 1411 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Where's the floor plate latch

going to use one somewhat like winchester uses[/QUOTE]

Sounds good. I’d get that lined out before you go to the welders union local 214 to get it all welded up.

Posts: 1235 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DavidReed:
I’d get that lined out before you go to the welders union local 214 to get it all welded up.

animal

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1827 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seems to be some newly manufactured bottom metal,and new old stock quality bottom metal available from individuals if you do some inquiring.

Posts: 657 | Location: Western USA | Registered: 08 September 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
4WD

This is just my exercise in futility to learn what it takes to make a bottom metal and everybody is getting a good laugh out of it, including me. Big Grin

But thank you for the suggestion.

KP,
No suggestion for you . If you go to the top of this thread you will see I am the one who started this thread. I was inquiring about locating a bottom metal. Do you even read what is posted??
4WD

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4WD:
quote:
4WD

This is just my exercise in futility to learn what it takes to make a bottom metal and everybody is getting a good laugh out of it, including me. Big Grin

But thank you for the suggestion.

KP,
No suggestion for you . If you go to the top of this thread you will see I am the one who started this thread. I was inquiring about locating a bottom metal. Do you even read what is posted??
4WD

I doubt he knows what the thread is about.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
4WD

Sorry to have offended you.

KJK

Posts: 676 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 December 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good grief this whole thread is becoming tragi-comic...

For the record, (not taking sides here...) but 4WD, I also interpreted your comment "Seems to be some newly manufactured bottom metal, and new old stock quality bottom metal available from individuals if you do some inquiring" as a suggestion to "do some inquiring" rather than trying to jury-rig a welded arrangement as he is doing now.

But that's just my personal interpretation... Roll Eyes popcorn

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by montea6b:

For the record, (not taking sides here...) but 4WD, I also interpreted your comment "Seems to be some newly manufactured bottom metal, and new old stock quality bottom metal available from individuals if you do some inquiring" as a suggestion to "do some inquiring" rather than trying to jury-rig a welded arrangement as he is doing now.

But that's just my personal interpretation...

Montea6B,
I agree I wasn’t clear. What I meant to say is several members here and elsewhere have Wiebe, Blackburn and Sunnyhill bottom metal that they have no future plans for and available on the resale market, if one wants to put forth the effort to search for it. Eeker
4WD

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an extra Wiebe bottom metal for an Enfield in 458Lott. It would take a little money for me to part with it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kolo Pan don;t be discouraged by the old fart clique that likes to disparage any effort not by one of their own. I regret that you removed your photos but understand why you did.

Perhaps you could start a new topic and post photos of the completed project. I am sure that I am not the only interested party.

Good luck with your effort.

Bill

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So...Mayhaps "New member" could fill us old farts in on his experience, background, etc.????

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Predictable response. I rest my case.

Been around since 1 of 2013.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I purchased a Swift/Blackburn and a SunnyHill for pre64 30.06 length Win Mod70’s. I can’t tell much difference between the two. Both seem to be quality built. The SunnyHill has a integral magazine box. The Blackburn uses the factory magazine box. The Swift/Blackburn needs a little modification of the factory magazine box for it to fit. The SunnyHill is final polished ,the Blackburn trigger bow is pretty rough and needs quite a bit of polishing. The SunnyHill was 30% more in price.