New
Find
Notify
Tools

Highwall Hornet NOW W/PHOTOS!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The photos are of an original Winchester high wall action that was completely refurbish, restocked, and rebarreled. Steve Heilmann performed his usual superb job of action polishing and doing all the stock work. Yours truly octagon milled the Brux barrel blank, chambered the barrel, did the rust and nitro bluing and case colored the action. A classic Hornet!

Posts: 465 | Location: Fayetteville, GA | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Imgur is your friend, easy peasy.

Posts: 1122 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roger, I, unfortunately have about a thousand images on Photobucket. The service is sporadic at best, sometimes and some places it works and sometimes not. I cannot explain what I do not understand. I've switched to imageshack.com and find it easy and reliable once you figure it out. It is best to learn to doityourself so you don't have to rely on others.
Best of luck.
Krag trigger guard.

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1777 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogersGunWorks:
The photos are of an original Winchester high wall action that was completely refurbish, restocked, and rebarreled. Steve Heilmann performed his usual superb job of action polishing and doing all the stock work. Yours truly octagon milled the Brux barrel blank, chambered the barrel, did the rust and nitro bluing and case colored the action. A classic Hornet!
[URL= ]Highwall Hornet[/URL]

Posts: 465 | Location: Fayetteville, GA | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Be still my beating heart, beautiful.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Wow... classic hi-wall in a great caliber. Very well executed! Congrats. Would love to have one like that in my own collection!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7509 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
Roger & Steve, as always, beautiful rifle!
Love it tu2

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1827 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
All rifles should look like this.
C

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
C

I don't really know how you could do better than that.

It is rare to see a combination of execution and quality of parts.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
That is pure gorgeous. Bravo for the skill artistry and taste to make such an inspiration.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27589 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I trust it shoots as good as it looks

Posts: 1607 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
THIS is the kind of work that belongs on this forum..great job, Roger and Steve

Posts: 3435 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
drooled over these pics three times now. that buttstock pattern and detail is sublime.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27589 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

absolutely beautiful well done

Posts: 13439 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zephyr:
I trust it shoots as good as it looks

The Hornet shoots quite well. Thanks for asking. It has a premium barrel with a minimum dimension chamber with zero freebore and minimum headspace. It was also assembled carefully.

Many thanks for all the compliments. Steve Heilmann deserves the lion's share of the credit for the rifle's appearance. His stockmaking is perfection. Notice the semi-circular, mullered border behind the top tang. The mullered portion is interrupted by an uncheckered space and stops abruptly at the borders. This is meticulous and difficult work. The rifle also illustrates that Winchesters look best when built in the same style as the originals. This rifle is of a very similar theme as the Winchester Special Single-Shot.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Love the detail work on the wood..beautiful rifle, and well executed.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41761 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lovely rifle Roger, all the way around; the wood, metal work, wood and metal finishing and spectacular walnut! Highly detailed throughout. The styling does remind me of something I've seen before? Maybe in a book?
Is it yours?

(Happy to see imageshack worked out for you)

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1777 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Steve,
I'm not surprised the Hornet reminds you of something you may have seen in a book. Check out John Campbell's "The Winchester Single-Shot" on page 123 where the Special Single-Shot Rifle is illustrated. Steve Heilmann gets all the credit for design. Even though I milled and installed the barrel, it was done to his specifications. With the exception of the panels on the stock & forend, the styling is pretty much Winchester. The rifle was built for one of Steve's clients.
The rifles in you book are quite attractive, too, with similar features.
I'm about to finish up a Low Wall in .22 RF. It is also patterned after the Special Single-Shot. In my opinion, there's no better way to build a high grade Winchester M1885 than the way Winchester did, simple & elegant.
Roger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My word. What a stunning rifle! Eeker

Congrats everyone: owner and makers.

Posts: 2581 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle and in my favorite under .308 diameter chambering!

Posts: 5691 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Amazing work.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9846 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have great admiration for gun sorcerers who perform good CCH MAGIC. It takes some talent and often a dash of luck to do it right. Nice work!

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3276 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The wood to metal fit is amazing.

Posts: 1278 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Simply OUTSTANDING! tu2 tu2 tu2

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Hello Roger,

Steve surely knocked another one out of the park for sure. A wider shot of your barrel work would be nice too. I'm sure it is flawless like the scrape repair & rust blue work you did on my Grisel 98.

Ray

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5086 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had several custom rifles built on Highwall actions. They are always too heavy, mostly because the breech end of the barrel needs to be stout to hold the mainspring. I haven’t talked a smith into machining the top of the breech thin and having a light contour barrel. I’m going to try one more time using a coil spring action from a Winder musket. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I suppose octagon to round barrel would be better to do that and save weight. I’m looking for a six pound gun in 22 Hornet.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2134 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote