THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Need Help Identifying Custom Mauser....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need Help Identifying Custom Mauser....
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted
Gent's - I'll buy dinner for the person who can help me identify the builder of this 416 I recently acquired. It is an absolute beautiful DG gun and I'd like to learn a little more about it.

Some Specifics:
- 416 Rem Mag
- Straight grained but very nicely finished walnut with an inlet black rubber pad.
- Beautifully cut checkering.
- Island rear sight w/4 leafs
- Barrel band front sight with flip up ivory bead
- Barrel band swivel, inlet rear swivel.
- Jeweled Bolt, Extractor and follower.
- Shadow line cheek piece, ebony end cap.
- 5 down and one in the tube.

The metal and wood work on this gun is as good as any I've seen.

Any chance one of you might know who built it?

Some Pics:

One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
Some makers put their logo on the underside of the barrel shank. So maybe a little screwdriver work to take the barreled action out of the stock will tell.

Posts: 1445 | Location: Running With The Hounds | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The mark on the bolt handle shank looks kind of like an FN marking, but I cannot see it very clearly in the photo.

So maybe it is on an FN action?

Posts: 265 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 09 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I did read your post carefully enough. You wanted the builder. No idea...

But it is nice!

Posts: 265 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 09 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
No idea. What really intrigues me is what appears to be a re-numbered serial number 9362.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5086 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted Hide Post
I think it is a commercial FN action; and it is re-serial numbered.

No markings other than that on the the bolt knob and I don't have the right screw driver set to take the action out of the stock (may go pick one up). Most of the screws are timed.

The checkering pattern is kind of unique, so I am hoping someone will recognize it.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
What really intrigues me is what appears to be a re-numbered serial number 9362

What are the chances it was at one time a 9.3 x 62?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
No idea. What really intrigues me is what appears to be a re-numbered serial number 9362.

If I recall correctly, prior to the GCA of 1964 FN used to sell their actions without serial numbers. I have owned several, mostly single shot bench rest models, which had to be serial numbered to comply with the law.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am lost on maker,dog dam good looking classic custom that should thump any man or beast with one well placed shot! very best on a fine rifle

Posts: 129 | Location: SW GA | Registered: 01 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
quote:
What really intrigues me is what appears to be a re-numbered serial number 9362

What are the chances it was at one time a 9.3 x 62?

I actually thought the same thing, but I couldn't bring myself to re-chamber the thing.

I like bolt guns, but I'm mostly a DR guy, so I'll probably sell it or trade it away towards a double at some point. I would like to get a really nice single shot and have been looking for the right one for some time. I typically accumulate nice guns and then do multiple gun trades for something nicer.

It's a sickness.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted Hide Post
I think they have to have a serial number to be transferred.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
Doug W is right. There is no law that states that a gun that DID NOT have a serial number when manufactured, needs to be serial numbered in order to transfer it. I worked in a couple of gunshops for several years. I can't tell you how many times I wrote "NSN" (no serial number) in both the ATF bound books and on the 4473 transfer form. In over 20 years in dealing with this stuff, and many visits from the BATF, never once was there any problem.

Posts: 1635 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by congomike:
Doug W is right. There is no law that states that a gun that DID NOT have a serial number when manufactured, needs to be serial numbered in order to transfer it. I worked in a couple of gunshops for several years. I can't tell you how many times I wrote "NSN" (no serial number) in both the ATF bound books and on the 4473 transfer form. In over 20 years in dealing with this stuff, and many visits from the BATF, never once was there any problem.

Me too, have several in my personal collection.

Posts: 519 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I feel for you. I have a flawlessly executed Pre-war M70 270 Win that I picked up in north Idaho. No mark of the builder anywhere but a beautiful piece none the less.

Posts: 1572 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug W:
quote:
Originally posted by xausa:
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:

If I recall correctly, prior to the GCA of 1964 FN used to sell their actions without serial numbers. I have owned several, mostly single shot bench rest models, which had to be serial numbered to comply with the law.

Why?

I have purchased several pre GCA unnumbered guns and the dealer simply put No S/N on the form.

I am talking about actions, not complete rifles. There is a gray area involved as to what constitutes manufacture. so when my gunsmith barreled the actions, out of superabundance of precaution, he numbered them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As many of the "extras" (sight, front band, cross bolt) look like those sold by NECGS:

http://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/

They might be a good place to start asking.

Pull the barreled action and buttplate (if you don't have correct screwdrivers you should and Brownells sells them). Who knows what you may find.

The serial number and the cartridge marking were clearly done by the same engraver. As it has no FN crest, no FN proofs and the safe is not FN, it may well not be an FN, rather a much modified 98.

Handsome rifle, should sell easily.

One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted Hide Post
I actually thought it might be an FN action because of the proof marks on the bolt handle (a few pics up from the bottom).

I'm not an expert, so I'll defer to those of you who are.

JDA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It could well be. Commercial FN actions usually have an FN crest on the receiver ring as well as markings on the left action rail's outside.

Your post has no pics so ……

It seems clear the answer is not here, so perhaps you should some of the high end custom rifle sellers.

Have you taken it apart yet ? Looked under the buttplate ? contacted NECGS ?

If you look at this FN you will note the rear receiver ring has no flats like yours. You can also see the leftside receiver rail markings and the bolt contour is different than yours.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Aucti....aspx?Item=388234899

My best guess is that is a Husky FN made action with some extensive rework.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
FN commercial actions vary in markings depending on year, if they were sold as a barreled action, or a bare action. I have one which was bought as a barreled action that has only proof marks and serial numbers on barrel and action above the wood line. I have another purchased as a bare action which has absolutely no marks above the wood line. All proofs and a small FN in an oval and "Made in Belgium" below the wood. I really like the unmarked FN actions.

The action of the topic rifle appears to be an FN to me by the shape of the action. I'd need to see a better close up of the mark on the bolt handle and if the knob has a flat checked bottom. The bolt handle shape looks like an FN.

If it is indeed an FN action, I'd say it was purchased as a bare action based on the custom serial numbering. I suspect the action will have several Belgian proofs on the left front ring, and a small FN in an oval on the right, over "Made in Belgium"

One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted Hide Post
Lucky - Thank you for the reply. I have not taken the action out of the gun (but will when I get time to go buy the right screw-driver set).

This one looks very similar to an old browning safari I had (with a different safety).

I'll probably never know who built it and will have to refer to it as just a really nice custom!

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JDA-CO:
I actually thought it might be an FN action because of the proof marks on the bolt handle (a few pics up from the bottom).

I'm not an expert, so I'll defer to those of you who are.

JDA

The bolt is indeed an FN bolt. The receiver probably is too. A pic of the underside of the receiver will tell.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4857 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote