THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    My 7mm-08 Project (updated 3/17/13)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My 7mm-08 Project (updated 3/17/13)
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is the latest update. I have been working on shaping the butt stock/cheek piece. The wood in this area was really rough and needed a lot of shaping and sanding. Unfortunately it is really difficult to photograph the progress. It is getting closer but this area is really time consuming with all the radiuses and edges. I am constantly switching sanding blocks and paper.

If anyone has any tricks I am all ears!

Starting point

Progress

The proportions are really the same but the pictures were taken at different angles.

Posts: 694 | Location: Santa Ynez Valley, Ca | Registered: 14 March 2011Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Brad,
you are doing great work --
i take a square file and kill one edge .. just put it on my belt sander to smooth it out, and use blue tape under it, just to make sure... and use the barrel channel tools to cut parts of the cheekpiece radius...great big 16" or so file, with one side smooth, including the corners on both sides... doesn't cut DOWN

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38381 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Looks like good progress. The cheek piece looks much cleaner...

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10043 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Just a reminder to post pics on Sunday night

Mike

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10043 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The stock sanding is good enough for now. So I decided to move on to the recoil pad. I decided to make brass inserts for the pad as well. That way I could seal the wood really well and I don’t have to worry about wearing out the holes from removal of the pad during finishing. Well to be perfectly honest this is a hobby and it is just fun to make the inserts and I think that they look nice installed.

Here is a brass screw in the lathe getting the head cut off.

It is then center drilled

A pilot hole is drilled then it is drilled to the tap hole size (8-32 in this case)

The tap is run in while being centered by the live center.

Here are the inserts and the screws that came with the pad.

Posts: 694 | Location: Santa Ynez Valley, Ca | Registered: 14 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now it is time to mark the stock for cutting. I measured it out for my length of pull, I have long arms so it is a little longer than standard. I clamp the stock to the bench sitting on the top rails and then use a square to mark the line. One day I will give this gun to my kids and then I will probebly have to cut it down. But Dad needs to try it out for a little while....

Lay out

After the cut

Marked the center line and first hole

I used the jig I made to mark the second hole once the first hole was drilled. Here you can see the jig and the inserts being dry fitted and then taped on while the glue is setting up.

Now I have to wait for the glue to dry and then I can start shaping the pad.

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
quote:
One day I will give this gun to my kids and then I will probebly have to cut it down.

You should save that cut off piece of wood when you do. That way, when the day comes and your kids are taller than you, you can epoxy the piece back on and it will (more or less) match. Just a thought ...

Nice job so far!

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So, did you cut the butt stock to have 0 pitch?
Do you freeze the recoil pad before grinding?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kaboom:
So, did you cut the butt stock to have 0 pitch?
Do you freeze the recoil pad before grinding?

Yes I set the angle to 0 degrees. However you could use the same method to get a positive or negative angle by adding a shim to the front or back of the top rails.

I will be using a Decelerator pad and it seems softer than other pads that I have used so I may try sticking it in the freezer before sanding it down. I have never tried it but it seems like it may help.

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
When you say "glue", what kinda glue did you use to glue the brass inserts into the wood...

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used a slow set Epoxy. I like the slow set as it gives the epoxy time to soak into the wood and form a good bond. The threads on the inserts give a lot of surface area to bond (and form a mechanical lock). So the bond should be really strong.

Here is a picture of the fixture removed and the inserts glued into the stock.

one of us
posted Hide Post
That's a clever insert setup and I think it is very smart. Last year I replaced two recoil pads on rifles for family members and ended up having to use the match stick trick to bush the holes so the screws would grab tight. On one it made the difference between a perfect fit and a standard "local shop" job. Frowner

Great work.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That stock is gong to have a lot more streaking than I thought it would originally. Lookings really nice!

Use enough gun...
Shoot 'till it's dead, especially if it bites.

Posts: 897 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tonight I set out to fit my recoil pad. I got out my new fixture and started to go to town. Everything was going well and then I ran into a few snags as you will see. The first pictures show me setting up the fixture with the right toe and heel angle.

After is was set up I started grinding away on the disk sander. Things were going well until I got to the sides. As you can see I ground right through and hit the reinforcement inside.

Ok you would think that if I ran into the reinforcement inside the large pad then I would need a medium pad. Well I already had a medium pad (because I bought it first and realized it was too small)and here is the issue with it. If I grind it to fit with the current angle it will not go all the way to the end of the pad. It will come up .100” short causing a step in the pad at the heel. Here is the medium pad.

I guess I can take a file and change the angle of the heel of the stock so I can fit this pad? I am open to suggestions on this one. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Go with a different pad manufacturer and get a solid rubber pad like a Galazan

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3022 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
Id either get a galazan pad, or use the medium and round off the toe and heel; i think it proper anyways to do this.

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1017 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No big deal Brad, just pivot the line of the toe up a lttle bit starting at the lower edge of the grip . If you have a Nicholsons #50,or a block plane, it should make short work of it. I always use the medium pad except on big bores. Just a thought- if you look on the inside of the pad, there will be an S,M,or L. Is there a chance they sold you the wrong pad?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the ideas guys, I think that I will follow Kaboom's advice and taper the toe line a little more.
This forum is really good for bouncing ideas off, I really appreciate the input! I will post some pictures of the progress tomorrow.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I spent a little time reshaping the toe line and fitting the medium pad today. I got a little carried away and forgot to take pictures. But here is one when I was file-ing and then two after I installed the pad.

I am glad that I was waiting to inlet the sling swivels! That would have made this a lot harder!

Thanks for the input guys.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
tu2

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
atta boy...lookin sharp...very sleek looking stock

But dude...did you put the dyno labels on the tool chest drawers...that is a little anal Big Grin

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
atta boy...lookin sharp...very sleek looking stock

But dude...did you put the dyno labels on the tool chest drawers...that is a little anal Big Grin

A clean uncluttered workbench is a sign of a sick mind. But the stock sure looks great!

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Earlier this year the company I worked for decided to close down its operation in California. So I ended up unemployed for a few months. I spent the mornings working on my resume and trying to get a job and the afternoons working on projects around the house. Because I was unemployed the projects had to be low cost or no cost.

I ended up doing a lot of organizing in the garage.

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Nice work so far!!!

tu2

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3022 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brad,

Excellent work and a great photo story of your progress...thank you for posting...keep us updated

Paul

"Diligentia - Vis - Celeritas"
NRA Benefactor Member
Member DRSS

Posts: 1026 | Location: Southeastern PA, USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing your adventure. I kinda questioned the lines of the butt on a small cal, but w/ kaboom's suggested mod, it looks nice. Much better lines. Nice work. Look forward to seeing it finished.

Posts: 1135 | Location: corpus, TX | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted Hide Post
Oooo-la-la! That is a thing of beauty!

I really like it even more with the toe trimmed up a bit...

great work & a real gift to your kids! "Well done, good and faithful servant!" (Mt 25: 21 ff)

friar

Our liberties we prize, and our rights we will maintain.

Posts: 1222 | Location: A place once called heaven | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The rifle is looking great. Can't wait to see the finished stock.

The price of knowledge is great but the price of ignorance is even greater.

Posts: 777 | Location: Socialist Republic of California | Registered: 27 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the kind words guys I really appreciate it!

I have been spending most of my time sanding and it is really difficult to get a picture that shows the progress. I did however work on a defect on the fore end that is worth showing. I had a defect that appeared to be solid but once I put a pick in it I realized that it was really soft. So I decided to fill it with some epoxy.

Here is the defect after I dug the soft material out.

Here I am filling it with epoxy, I used a tooth pick to push the material down into the bottom

Here is it while sanding it down

Finish sanded.

Here is my stock sanded, I have a few places that need some more cleanup and then I need to install the sling swivels next

One of Us
Picture of ab_bentley
posted Hide Post
Damn that's nice. Adam

Ammo, you always need more.

Posts: 463 | Location: Dresden, Ohio | Registered: 09 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
tu2

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
He even fixes the problems...damn

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks again for the kind words guys, It makes keeping this thread going worth it.

I spent a few hours prepping the sling swivels today. I made brass inserts like the ones I made for the butt-plate and grip cap for the sling swivels. I wont show the pictures of how the inserts were made as I have already showed that a few times.

But here are a few pictures to the sling swivels mounted to the inserts and then once they have been dressed down.

A little more polishing and cleanup and they will be ready to install.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Today I spent some time working on inletting the sling swivels. I use my milling machine because it can do a better job than I can do by hand.

Here is the tooling I made to hold the butstock with my stock mounted to the mill.

Here it is milling the pocket for the swivel

And here it is with the swivel inletted, I cut it a little deep to allow a space for some of the epoxy to run during mounting because it is a blind hole

Here is the front sling mount being inletted.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just found this thread, awesome! Is that a Jerry Fisher grip cap? You give me hope for a future project! Can't wait to see it finished.

Posts: 179 | Location: South of Anchorage | Registered: 21 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by labdad:
Just found this thread, awesome! Is that a Jerry Fisher grip cap? You give me hope for a future project! Can't wait to see it finished.

Thanks for the kind words!

Yes it is but I did not use the screws that came with the cap. I used Talley screws because they have a standard thread that allowed me to tap the brass inserts.

one of us
posted Hide Post
the job you are doing makes my efforts at "gunsmithing" look like a caveman beating on a stump with a rock. i think i have sort of the same project in mind. so far i have a richards microfit english walnut stock(exhibition grade, old classic #102 pattern), a model 700 short action, and a set of PTG steel bottom metal. would you...uh...um...feel like...uh...doing another one when you're...uh.. finished with yours?

blaming guns for crime is like blaming silverware for rosie o'donnell being fat

Posts: 1213 | Location: new braunfels, tx | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by budiceale:
the job you are doing makes my efforts at "gunsmithing" look like a caveman beating on a stump with a rock. i think i have sort of the same project in mind. so far i have a richards microfit english walnut stock(exhibition grade, old classic #102 pattern), a model 700 short action, and a set of PTG steel bottom metal. would you...uh...um...feel like...uh...doing another one when you're...uh.. finished with yours?

I would like to but I think that the ATF might frown on it so I better not. Wink

Please post pictures of your project for all of us to enjoy. I would like to see what your stock looks like.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I drilled the holes and dry fitted the sling mounts. I still have to glue them in place but you can get an idea of how they will look.

Layout

Drilled

Mounted

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Just a reminder we need are weekend fix...

Mike