THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Pre-64 Winchester M70 action prices
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pre-64 Winchester M70 action prices
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of kiwiwildcat
posted
Hey guys,

Can someone please tell me approximately how much a 1949 manufacture Pre 64 M70 action in excellent condition blued, 30/06 length, magnum boltface would be worth?

Regards,

Michael.

She was only the Fish Mongers daughter. But she lay on the slab and said 'fillet'

Posts: 511 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand. | Registered: 22 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought they were all the same length.

Was it originally a magnum action, or was it made that way later?

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kiwiwildcat
posted Hide Post
No, this is a 30/06 length action, though from what I understand you can open them up to .375 length, but you need a competent gunsmith to do this.

Just to clarify, this action is in my possession and trying to get an idea of how much it is worth selling for.

She was only the Fish Mongers daughter. But she lay on the slab and said 'fillet'

Posts: 511 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand. | Registered: 22 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it is an UN-ALTERED 1949 action from a standard non-magnum caliber, they normally bring $600. or so.

The only magnum bolt-face actions that were factory original made in 49' were from the .300 & .375 H&H magnums: figure $800. or so if all original.

The factory-original "short magnums" i.e. .264, . 300 Win. mag., .338 & .458 didn't come out till late 50s and again, if all original (just the actions) will bring an extra $100. or a bit more over the standard 06' actions.

If an action was originally for a standard cartridge (.06, .270 etc.) and since was modified for the short magnum cartridges .264, .338 etc. you can deduct a little.

On all pre-64 actions, regardless of which ones, any alterations, extra holes in top or side, bolt handle grinding, or any other mods, you can deduct $: the amount depending on the mod and perhaps quality of the work. If it had a side mount added with 3-5 extra holes in the receiver, you can probably deduct $100.-200. Over-all, prices can vary regionally, but these prices are somewhat common based on the past 5-10 years. There will always be exceptions where people don't know what they have.

One of Us
Picture of tom mason
posted Hide Post
I agree with devere. His prices are usually what I charge for actions.

Posts: 1117 | Location: Moore, Okla. | Registered: 28 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
$400 to $600 in Idaho..I sometimes pick up a nice complete mod. 70 pre 64 for $500 at our local gun shows, usually on the last day near closing time..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote