New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting deer with tigers
 Login/Join

Picture of Mark
posted
Well, at least she thinks she's a tiger, ROWR!

This is starting to turn into a tradition I believe, last year she did the same thing- followed me into the woods on opening day. It was pretty funny then as I did not know she was behind me and I went up there in the dark, I turned around to set up my chair and there she was! She can sure see the animals a LOT sooner than I can.

Kinda hard to see, but there is a deer there:

Time for the morning snack!

Naptime!

Anyway, saw 6 today and we're going out again in the morning.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7756 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is too cool, hope she has a license.

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1501 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
From yesterday-

Someones coming, 2 o'clock...

"He's a little too small, lets wait until next year for this one"

Then today she was forward lookout

Until she got bored

Posts: 7756 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What does your "guide" charge?

NRA life member
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1501 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a great way to spend the boring hours at a stand. I am not surprised that your cat can hear and see way better than you in poor light.

Their short legs get tired if you go any great distance. You might find a way to pack him in along with your gear. It will save his legs and give yours more exercise.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wwjmbd
posted Hide Post
Cool, just when you think youve heard it all, lol

Posts: 159 | Location: New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: 24 September 2010Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rolland:
What does your "guide" charge?

You know how they say to not tip the trackers? Well I broke that rule and after the first couple of snack times now she assumes that I always have snacks in my pocket and starts digging into them from the outside. So as long as I remember to bring something I'm OK.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What breed is she? She looks like my Maine Coon.

NRA life member
NRA Golden Eagles member

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Very, very cool! Plus, the benefits of warm fur!

My cat Zena used to go hunting with me. She was excited as any beagle when she saw me pick up my rifle. She also had sat with me up a tree during archery season.

Lost her four years ago. She has been my best cat, ever.

Posts: 19127 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a great huntin' buddy!

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mary Hilliard-Krueger
posted Hide Post
Hahaaaa...these are great! Does she help you pack out the deer? Wink
She looks like my big guy,"Groban".

Taxidermist/Rugmaker

Posts: 904 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 12 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does she get her share of venison liver?

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Oh you better believe she gets her treats for helping!

She reminds me daily how indispensable she is.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
congratulations on your fine specimen! Maine Coons are the best cats in the world.....

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Had a bluepoint Siamese who like to go squirrel hunting with me. He'd chase them around to my side of the tree and I'd shoot them with either my .22 or .410 shotgun. He'd then fetch them! Was kinda funny when it was a BIG squirrel.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Use have a black and white barn cat that would go hunting with me.

When he go into his stalk mode you new something was around.

Posts: 19308 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:

When he go into his stalk mode you new something was around.

Isn't that the truth! Especially when there is a lot of cover, she'll just keep staring and her head will turn following the unseen animal. Plus she's great for keeping an eye out behind me so you don't have to swivel around all the time.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Neat story.

I had cats as a kid but not in decades. Frankly, didn't like them. But it seems I've got a cat now. She picked me. I ignored her. She wouldn't go away. I ignored her. Now she greets me every day when I come home from work and I don't even like cats!

There was some basic food and water -- she was so thin and pitiful. (she's partial to the premium brands of canned cat food (liver is her favorite), or just canned tuna, she doesn't like milk).

Now I'm lobbying my wife to let her move into the house and trying to introduce her to the dogs to overcome her (my wife's) main objection.

My question is: Are they all this good at manipulating humans?

Posts: 9945 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:

Pretty much. Cats just have a different mentality than dogs. They show affection in a different manner, but they are neat in their own way.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
They are fascinating companions, I always keep two or three around. Love 'em.

Posts: 13 | Location: Harm's Way | Registered: 10 August 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Interesting.

Mike

Posts: 21078 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
Interesting.

Mike, profound, but I'm convinced you have more to say than that.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Candidly, the only reason I made a post on this thread was that I was tired of seeing that thread show up on the main page about some nitwit that shot a cat with a pellet gun. Wink

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
That makes perfect sense. I may start combing the threads and do the same thing, if only to get my own thread starters off the top, and there may be others which merit a refresher.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Give it a try.

Mike

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
That cat looks like my "Tailgunner" that someone took last Oct 2013. I miss her greatly. She greeted me when I came in the drive from work on my bicycle. She followed me around like a puppy. Slept with me,and once when I was quite ill she curled up around my head on the pillow and slept with me. Wouldn't leave unless I got out of bed.

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about your loss Packrat.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks man. 18 years in corrections including five years armed transportation and I'm upset about losing my cat. Whoo'da thunkit?

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
The lost one that really broke my heart was Kit Carson,a tabby. When I came in from work at night he would hear my keyring jingle + do the same routine every night;several bounds from the stairs to the table to the sofa so that his head would be right there in petting position by the time I had walked 3 steps. G.D. coyotes got him. Only bright side of this is as I have my own business I also have a dumpster on the premises,thus stray cats. I live trapped one to use as bait as the coyotes love cat meat.Got 2 that night then let the cat go. Coyotes are not fooled twice with the same trick,at least not that generation.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark. How is the tiger after Christmas?

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
quote:

Pretty much. Cats just have a different mentality than dogs. They show affection in a different manner, but they are neat in their own way.

You got that right! You can feed a hungry dog and the dog thinks: "They feed me, they must be Gods." You feed a hungry cat and the cat thinks: "They feed me, I must be a God!"

rotflmo

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote