New
Find
Notify
Tools

DIY Predator Call Tape
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I tried two stores to buy a rabbit distress tape and they were sold out so i decided to use a mouth call and tape recorder and make my own tape.

When i started making the distressed rabbit screeches my cat went wild. I had the door closed and he started scratching at the door and so i left that sound on i figured it wouldn't hurt. Then he got the door open and jumped up on the bed with me and he was meowing and getting right up in my face where the sound of the call was coming from. I left those meows in the tape, too. It's a 90 minute tape, so it's taking me awhile to make it. doing 10 min segments and stop the tape and take it up later.

I hope it's a good indicator of how a wild animal might react, i'll be blasting something.

Plinker

aim small, hit small

Posts: 1522 | Location: WV | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Plinker--goood indicator of how a wild animal might react----why would you want a wild animaljumping on your bed and getting in your face? Darn did I hijack your thread?

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Maybe you will get some unique results with that tape. Packy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I must be getting stoopid in my old age. If you can blow the mouth call why in heck don't you just blow it when calling??? It's a lot lighter than a tape recorder hammering

have fun and shoot lots!!

the chef

one of us
posted Hide Post
The reasoning was to put the tape recorder about 40 yards away so that the animal will be less likely to spot me or sneak in from behind.

Plinker

aim small, hit small

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yea, I figured that. I just couldn't resist pointing out the obvious. Actually electronic calls aren't legal here....too bad too, because they either spot me or sneak in behind me!!!

the chef

one of us
posted Hide Post
I know of a guy that set up an electronic caller and got a distance away with a varmint rifle. A bear came in and demolished his expensive calling device. He didnt want to risk a shot with a small cal.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cool. Bears are scarce in our county, my nieces's husband got a pic of one in his trail camera. Their farm is maybe 12 miles away. Fish and game tallies the bear kills for each county and it's always 0 for this county.

Bet your buddy was sick to sit and watch his caller get tore up, they can run a lot of $

Plinker

aim small, hit small

one of us
posted Hide Post
While I'm "hijacking" your thread---how horrible all these folks lining up to post on topic are having to wait---Ryan got a real nice 8 pointer.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Carpetman, you seem to be blaming me because George on taxidermy complained hijacking. I did delete my posts that were off topic. Those people are serious about taxidermy and if they want to stay on topic then i respect that.

Congrats on Ryan's 8 pointer.

Plinker

aim small, hit small

one of us
posted Hide Post
pennyplinker---No,No no. Not blaming you at all. You cant control him. Go back and read it. You asked a simple question--whether to use salt or not. That question got answered on the very first day. 16 days later George shows up inquiring about your financial situation( maybe you could make some financial arrangements with a taxidermist) and I dont remember what all else and blasts me for hijacking YOUR thread. I was surprised you bent to him and deleted the posts--but that was your call.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I killed a links cat while hunting in Africa It had long teeth but I never heard of it before. Maybe someone could tell me more about it.

Posts: 2209 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote