One of Us
Picture of Swordfish
posted
My buddy

Posts: 242 | Location: Florida | Registered: 18 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Now THAT is a fine bit of feline pulchitrude! Am I jealous? Yes, Siree-bob !!!

How old? Details as to birthplace, food, care, etc??

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a beautful animal I would love to have one. but the feed bill and litter box might be more that I could handle.
We used to joke about getting a tiger rather than a dog for patrol duties. sure would calm the bar fights down.

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1503 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Okay, you must have gotten upset by my inquiry, since there has been no reply of any sort.

I am NOT a member of some illegal animal cop-force. Was just curious....really wanting to know if there is somewhere in the U.S. I might get one. I thought maybe you got him from a zoo which has them surplus to needs ever so often.

So, let's try this differently. I no longer want to know where he was born. But it would be interesting to know within three or four years either way how old he is...just to know how long it takes them to get that big. And I would be curious as to what they eat and how often. Do they require any significant amount of frequent veterinary care?

I know house cats require dental attention, just like people do. Is that needed on tigers? (I sure wouldn't want to try forcing him to let me clean his teeth!)

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thats one bad azz looking cat...

Posts: 94 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 08 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Albert, a friend of my son's had 2 that he raised from cubs.He had a connection at a local poultry farm to buy chickens in bulk,also 2 freezers.They slept with him at night.There are some exotic game auction locations here in Texas.Perhaps that's where he bought them.Sad ending to this. While he was dying from liver cancer in hospital his ex-girlfriend W/ new boyfriend was cleaning out his house + could not be bothered to feed the tigers.My son called county animal rescue/control.No word on final result.Wishful thinking but fearing the worst.

Posts: 4189 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mary Hilliard-Krueger
posted Hide Post
A.Canuck - Have you been in Cave Creek long enough to remember the two Siberian tigers that were caged behind Harold's bar back in the late 70's. Old German fellow by the name of Karl was their care taker and trainer. Karl was with Ringling Brothers for 30 years in his youth. He trained the big cats and the elephants. He shared many incredible stories with me. I heard when Karl passed they put the tigers down and sold them to an out of state taxidermist. This really disappointed me as those cats had many good years left.
I worked on a big cat compound in Ohio, in my 20's and raised a jag and a mountain lion. The commitment it takes to raise a big cat is expensive, a lifestyle as it consumes your life and certainly not a hobby. It was however, some very fond and memorable years in my life.

Taxidermist/Rugmaker

Posts: 904 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 12 April 2007Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Swordfish:
My buddy

Hey he looks a lot more laid back than he did last winter:

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mary Hilliard-Krueger
posted Hide Post

Taxidermist/Rugmaker

Posts: 904 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 12 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Same fellow I mentioned earlier a few years back had a mountain lion caged (relatively tamed).He taught it the game that when one of us would back up to the cage,put out 1 paw on your chest;now try to get away. No,won't happen.

Posts: 4189 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Look's like Swordfish is Thailand trying to get some pussy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Hilliard-Krueger:
A.Canuck - Have you been in Cave Creek long enough to remember the two Siberian tigers that were caged behind Harold's bar back in the late 70's. Old German fellow by the name of Karl was their care taker and trainer. Karl was with Ringling Brothers for 30 years in his youth. He trained the big cats and the elephants. He shared many incredible stories with me. I heard when Karl passed they put the tigers down and sold them to an out of state taxidermist. This really disappointed me as those cats had many good years left.
I worked on a big cat compound in Ohio, in my 20's and raised a jag and a mountain lion. The commitment it takes to raise a big cat is expensive, a lifestyle as it consumes your life and certainly not a hobby. It was however, some very fond and memorable years in my life.

I was born and raised in Maricopa County east of 16th Street, back when that street was the eastern city limit of Phoenix. Those tigers ring a bell, but I never saw them. Must have become aware of them by reading about them....perhaps in a then-current older issue of The Arizona Republic.

Cave Creek was a miniscule very nice, isolated ranching community in those days.

Thomas Road (about 23 or 24 miles south of Cave Creek as the crow flies) was the North Phoenix city limit. That's why when Phoenix built a new high school at Thomas Road and 12th Street in about 1937 or '38 they named it "North High School". It was the very first air-conditioned public building in Phoenix that I can recall! (Everyone thought it was scandalous that Phoenix spent the money to build it with air-conditioning. We used to go hang around in the halls in the summer (until they would kick us out), just for the novelty of being cool in mid-summer! I used to hunt doves just across Thomas Rd. from Encanto Park in the mid-'40s....

Sorry I never got to see those tigers, but the dirt and small rocks (big 2-1/2" gravel?) road to Cave Creek in those days was so very rough, that it wasn't unusual to have to stop two or more times on the round trip to remove flattened tires from the rims with tire-irons, patch the tubes (remember those?), use the tire-irons to put the tires and tubes back on the rims and pump those old 6x16" tires on the '36 Ford 4-door back up by hand. All that work to make the trip meant I didn't make unrequired trips to "faraway" places like Glendale, Apache Junction, Casa Grande...or Cave Creek.

Scottsdale, BTW, was a tiny unincorporated wide place in the road, so nobody went there because there was really nothing to go there for. Tempe was about the longest trip most of us made in those days, especially after tires, tubes, and gasoline became rationed during WWII. And the only reason we went as far out as Tempe was to sell live rattlers and Gila Monsters to the desert zoo, or to do something at the Arizona Normal School (now known as Arizona State University).

Anyway, cheers, and thanks for bringing back the memories.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Why is your handle Alberta Canuck?
Are you related to Yakima Canuck?

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
It was Yakima Canutt, not Canuck.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0134831/

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norseman:
Why is your handle Alberta Canuck?
Are you related to Yakima Canuck?

Because I am a dual citizen (Canada and USA) who spent most of his adult working life living in in Alberta (and Saskatchewan and the Yukon Territory).

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
That's why when Phoenix built a new high school at Thomas Road and 12th Street in about 1937 or '38 they

Oh, come on. You must be a hundred to actually remember that! Smiler

Had a pair of chaps one time made by Derringer (?) Saddle Shop in Cave Creek (?). I guess that place is long gone.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19304 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AC -

I lived just east of 16th St & McDowell from '45-'62.
Used to catch scorpions and turn them in to my biology teacher at Phoenix Union for extra credit.
It was the only way I could pass the class. I caught them in the "grease pit" at the construction company where my Father worked.
The biology teacher took them to ASU for some research project.