New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cat chewing feet question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My cat is always cleaning her feet to remove the grass seeds from between her toes. But there are two places on her front feet where she has chewed the hair off down to the skin. Is this normal or is something else wrong.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
No that is not normal. Go to your vet!

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
She is going to the vet tomorrow. If I didn't know better, I would think she is stressed about something. She is the only pet so she gets plenty of attention; at least when she wants attention.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like an allergy to me. "hot" feet is usually an allergy sign. I had an English setter who licked the hair off his feet till we found what was bothering him.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like to hear an update on your cat.Thanks.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Safari James
posted Hide Post
We too have a cat that does somethng similar but it is only on one foot. Very odd, but he chews the hell out of that one foot.

Safari James
USMC
DRSS

Posts: 369 | Location: Texas | Registered: 16 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The vet checked her for mites and fleas but had neither. Her temperature was normal and she had gained a little weight. She thought Boog might be allergic to something but didn't know what it might be. Gave her a cortisone shot just in case. Right now she is laying on the tile where it is cool and I haven't caught her licking her feet. The wife said she saw her eating flowers off a weed. I will have to do some research and see what type of plant it is or was.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interested in the plant genus + species when you find out.Maybe something,maybe nothing. I'm glad for you that she is not chewing her feet however if it were me I would get a 2nd Vets opinion.That has nothing to do with mites or fleas.IMO. I don't have a DMV shingle hanging out but I have raised animals out in the country for over 50 years.Please keep us all informed.We can all learn from this.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
She is not chewing her feet and the hair has nearly all grown back. I'm like you on raising animals but this one had me stumped.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Our dog was chewing one foot and the vet said it may be a sprain or stress injury. Maybe it goes the same for cats? Hope it gets better.

Posts: 659 | Location: "The Muck", NJ | Registered: 10 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
She is back to normal other than sleeping in the closet. That is her new place to hide.