New
Find
Notify
Tools

Got my cat mount back
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

Posts: 178 | Location: NE Pennsylvania | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I guess it's just not for me.

The rock is blood colored?

The cat has a very unnatural looking face.

I would be super pissed, but if your happy be happy.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The cat has a very unnatural looking face

He's been shot and stuffed, how would you look after that?

"When doing battle, seek a quick victory."

Posts: 4739 | Location: London England | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Here are some better ones:

This one isn't bad

Neither is this one.

Shittier:

Here are some more unnatural looking taxidermy jobs.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sculptor
posted Hide Post
I hate that first cat mount with the red rock. Not the worst mount I have ever seen of a great tom but near the top. Glad you like it.

Posts: 727 | Location: Cody Wyoming | Registered: 17 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mary Hilliard-Krueger
posted Hide Post
Tundragriz,

Your cat mount is not bad, you should just get it on another base and you will be amazed how much better the all over appearance will be. You can take pictures of any mount, especially cats, and find some pics to be much more flattering to the piece, than others. Believe me I have seen terrible cat mounts and this is not one that would fall in that catagory. Be proud of that trophy, but get it on another base and lose the sign.

D99, not one of those cat mounts are better than Tundragriz's except of course for Jason's female and kitten mount. Jason's is not a commercial piece. He spent 4-5 times the amount of time a quality taxidermist spends on a commercial piece, on this mount, as it was entered in a WORLD show competition. It won best large mammal in the WORLD.(not an easy title to acquire) Cannot compare apples to oranges here!

Kindest regards,
Mary

Taxidermist/Rugmaker

Posts: 904 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 12 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Griz,

I like the mount, but I agree with the others about the base color. I guess that the tax tried to match the color of red-rock, but the color is off and it's glossy. I would re-spray the base a flat brown tone with a texture to it, and it will look 100% better.....that's just my opinion, but if you like it great!

As for the cat, I think he did a good job, good body proportions, and correct ear/eye positioning.

I agree....lose the sign!!!

BTW, you should move this to the taxidermy or trophy room section.

Nice Cat Congrats!!

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buddy of mine has two pumas in a refuge in El Salvador, along with several lions, a breeding pair of jaguars, and several other animals.

I have stared the pumas eyeball to eyeball at five feet, and the expression on the first cat's face is very authentic. His pumas do not like people, and they don't hesitate to show it.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Is that suppose to look like an elk carcus or something that the cat is standing on????

Posts: 27 | Location: SLC, UT | Registered: 14 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I'm with Mary on this one except I might just have the rock repainted a color that compliments the paneling behind it. Maybe a black and grey color. I would also peel the sign off.

I do tend to like the "at rest" mounts more than the "action" ones.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote