THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CATS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Cats    RIP Mr. Purrsnikitty aka Percy
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RIP Mr. Purrsnikitty aka Percy
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Mary Hilliard-Krueger
posted
Two years ago this month some of you may remember Percy underwent radioactive therapy to destroy the abnormal tissue surrounding his thyroid causing his hyperthyroidism. The procedure was a success and Percy had since enjoyed his healthy happy renewal on life. Unfortunately he was diagnosed with liver cancer a month ago and yesterday I knew it was time to take him in as I would never let him suffer. My oldest daughter and I were there with him. His passing was as peaceful as his beautiful nature for the last 17 years.

The house is just too quiet this morning. The hurt still so fresh. The emptiness an evident impact on the household dynamic. As an adult who has said goodbye to many pets from childhood to present, I can attest to it never getting easier. When we bring a new pet into our lives we know it will only be for a fraction of time. Yet we are content with that knowledge to again open our hearts and home to that pet with the love and happiness it will bring us all.

With this sage wisdom I was prepared to let Percy go when his time had come. What I wasn't prepared for was the secondary pain from his loss. You see, Percy was my oldest daughter’s first pet of her very own. Her birthday gift to celebrate her 7th year of life. A 7 year old little girl is all about, puppies, kitties and ponies. To receive a kitten for your very own was indeed quite the present. She and Percy grew up together and were "best buds" through it all. From little girl games of dress up, tea parties and hide and go seek through the confusing and difficult tween and teen years. He was always there to comfort her. He was her constant. I know he had heard and kept more secrets and innermost thoughts than I was ever privy to. Then off to college, they both waited anxiously for each holiday and summer break. This last year together after she graduated and found her way into the life of an independent working adult, her Nicky boy was there for her.

I have accepted the loss of our little man but my heart is grieving for that little girl in an adult’s body who has lost her best lifelong friend. This pain will take much longer to pass for as a parent I cannot accept seeing my child in pain, especially a pain I can do nothing to alleviate.

Taxidermist/Rugmaker

Posts: 904 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 12 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I understand completely its really hard to loose a pet very sorry for your loss. Our Siamese got liver diease and we had to put him down he was 17, that was three years ago and my wife still greaves over the loss.
Monster

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1502 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Awwwwwww

~Ann

Posts: 19128 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My most heartfelt condolences ... with real understanding of your loss.

Lost my best buddy ... a little walk-on tabby with white on his paws ... last April 20th.

He had a difficult last year he had lost his vision but handled it with grace and patience always close and snuggling. In his earlier days he followed me to and in the shops and field. He slept on a pillow next to me with his face pressed into my palm and his arms wrapped around my wrist.

Miss the little guy very much.

Sometimes we have to be happy with having been blessed to have all the time they were allowed to give us.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, I am reminded of your post this week.

A dear friend named Misty is failing.

One early evening years ago I stopped on the way home to get a pizza for dinner. On the way out the door with the pie I almost stepped on this tiny golden colored kitten all alone on the sidewalk of the mall.

I put the pizza in the car and went looking for the owner who might have lost the little one. No one admitted any involvement ... and the kitten rode home on top of the warm pizza box.

Misty grew up w two malamutes and a couple of other cats. He has been an independent, strong willed creature who seemed to broke no fools ... but always had a cuddle for the folks that loved him.

Is sooo sad to see him waste away ... ending his days being fed with a syringe.

Will probably ask the vets help to release him from his burden tomorrow. Is hard for me to even think about it ... the tears come to quickly.

Mike

--------------

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
Mike, all the best with Misty. Tuesday night I had to make an emergency trip to my vet for my cat Charlie. He arrived with a very low body temperature and failing heart beat. After a battery of tests and treatment the Vet was still baffled. I watched him die on the table.....it turned out he had spleen torsion which basically cuts off blood supply and is very painful which really kills me more. He did get a pain killer on arrival so I hoped it helped. He was about six years old, a full feral kitten I rescued at about six weeks of age and turned into a wonderful domesticated cat. I think I mourn my animals more than I do people, may sound bad to some. He had a best buddy, another feral I rescued who is about two and has been a lot slower to domesticate. They were peas from the same pod, likely related and very similar in personality. He's lost, hopefully my old cat Jack takes Charlies place for him. So hard to lose a valued friend.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dempsey,

Damn ... so sorry to hear of Charlie's passing ... and in a very difficult way. Have never heard of that malady. Sure does hurt to lose a member or the family. My sincere condolences for your loss.

Misty passed quietly and without pain with mom and pop holding him gently. He hasn't been out of touch for more than a week.

Will take a while before this is easier.

Mike

--------------

one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the kind words. As you well know it's never easy even when it's their time.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mary Hilliard-Krueger
posted Hide Post
Mike and Dempsey,

Been a while since I have visited this page. I know it has been a few months since the passing of Misty and Charlie but my sincere sympathy is sent to you both. It never gets easier, does it?

Kindest regards,
Mary

Taxidermist/Rugmaker

Posts: 904 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 12 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
And they say that grown men do not cry . . .

This morning our cat that we have had for the last nineteen years passed away at home. I am glad that he could go in a place he was comfortable and familiar with, around people that loved him and that he did so peacefully. Similar to your story Mary, Fruitloop was my daughter's cat that we got for her when she was just a young girl in elementary school. He was the only pet my daughter and son have ever had. A sad day today filled with many great memories. Always hurts to say goodbye.

Mike

Posts: 21113 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
We have lost a few + I am not so sure where the level of pain is most severe. I have held them in my arms while the vet puts them down to renal failure + the in the last 4 years have lost 8 to coyotes. Yes I shoot coyotes but I don't shoot them all.The wife's tears + grief over her "baby's,I deal with on a daily basis.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote