THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CATS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Cats    Is it ok for Big tough guys to
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is it ok for Big tough guys to
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Never had any kids (too ugly) so my animals are pretty much my family. Had decided not to have any more dogs because I've had to put too many of them down and it just killed my soul. Mother Nature dumped 2 little cats in my lap about 3 years ago. Had to put one of them down yesterday because of a tumor and an enlarged heart. Only I didn't get to the vet in time and he died on the way while I was holding him. Cats been under vet care for a month now and she had just brought him home 2 hours earlier and said he was doing better. Totally killed my spirit. Ain't fair to find something that loves you that much and you can't do a damn thing to help them.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Pagosa,

It is perfectly fine, normal, and human to grieve for the loss of something you care for.

I did want to comment on your statement: Only I didn't get to the vet in time and he died on the way while I was holding him. Even if you had gotten him to the vet, I doubt there is much he could have done. Actually, if you think about it there is really nothing he could have done.

I don't want to sound callous, but dying while being held by someone you love and who loves you is about the best one can expect out of life, and so even though it causes you anguish, it was THE BEST thing that you could have done for your family member.

And there is a lot of good in that when you think about it.

And again, my condolences on your loss.

Mark

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Pets, cats or dogs, are the children that never stop loving you until they die. It is one of the hardest parts of being a human, sometimes you just want to give up and never have another pet, but they find their ways into your soul.

Sorry for the loss of your friend.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
Hard luck old boy.

They get under your skin don't they?

The endearing little beggars that they are.....

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I understand exactly.When one holds them in their arms at the time of passing + knowing that there NOTHING that you can do to change the process.....Also in my case I also had a couple of children weeping at the same moment + for the same reason.No minimazation to your grief intended. My consolation toward your loss.

Posts: 4200 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A few years ago I was living in an older modular home and one day i heard some mewing under the house. It was pretty loud so i checked it out. I went into the crawlway and found 4 kittens hidden in the insulation. It seemed that they had been there a while with no attention. It might have been a mistake, but i took them out and brought them into the house a while to try and evaluate them. They were still pretty small. We decided that putting them back was best. I put them back in the crawlway. We went out that evening and when i came back i checked on them. Two were cold and stiff, one was less so, and one was still warmish but dead. We lived way out in the country where there are more coyotes and mountain lions than you can shake a stick at. I imagine that the mother was lunch for one of them but i always wondered if she came back when i had them and then ran away. I burried the kittens. I was pretty shook up about all that. I have no idea why. I love cats, but i was really upset, more so than i would have thought over those dead kittens.

Curtis

Posts: 706 | Location: Between Heaven and Hell | Registered: 10 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys,
I guess now I can take off my pink underwear. Yes Mark, there was nothing more that could be done and the little consolation I had was that he was with me and not a stranger.
they definitely get under your skin. While we can't save them all, nature did not intend that, the ones we do care for show us in their own way that the care is returned.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We have 2 little SOBs that came after our last died in our arms with congestive heart failure. It was very painful to watch him die.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
But tomorrow is another day.We got a little tom detective named Hercules Purrrroux,+ a little miss in everything named "Minnie the moocher". Mourn your loss for sure but move on ,hit the pound,etc. + remember that these new little guys need love as well.

Posts: 4200 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
I have had to put down a favored cat and rottie over the years. That does take a piece of you. Both animals favored me. I get more attached than my wife to most of our pets. Except for the kids. I haven't had to put either of them down although I threatened the son once. I have much sympathy for your loss. Packy

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I can't fathom those who claim they are dog or cat specific people. I have pets consisting of fins, scales, feathers and canine and feline companions. I love them all the same.

~Ann

Posts: 19150 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, the local Humane Society here is now short one cat. We picked a little ball of energy up yesterday. My other cat is definitely out of sorts about this though. He is only 5 1/2 months old and she is around 3 1/2 years. I'm afraid that she'll kill and eat him.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pagosa,

Is very painful to lose a friend and member of the family.

Glad you decided to allow another little one the opportunity to endear itself to you. Sometimes isn't easy ... but is a good thing to do if you can.

I agree with Ann. Have had both dogs and cats over the years. All became dear and treasured friends.

Some folks have commented that our cats behave more like dogs that any they've seen before. I think they get as attached to us as have the dogs.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After having had to put down more family members than I care to remember, dogs and cats. I honestly believe that it is easier for me to kill people that I know and like than to put another pet down. This little feller is so full of energy/life. My older cat is spending all her time trying to figure out how to kill and eat him. He spent an hour last night(sorry, this morning at 3:am) kneading and purring and nibbling and licking. Ruined a whole nights sleep. If that continues, he won't make it. I get grouchy with too little sleep.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ere in Austin we just built a new shelter to the tune of $12.000.000.00 to augment our old shelters.We are a "No Kill" facility. That being said;although we are in operation for a little over a month we are over capacity + looking at the very real proposition of having to put some down.We do not want to do this!!!!! We need help from the public sector;adopt ,+ or spread the word to your neighbors (+ yourselves) to neuter your pets so that the rest of us don't have to deal with any one elses lack of responsability.

One of Us
Picture of NavyVet
posted Hide Post
I live out in the country in south Texas. I have dogs and cats and I love them all. Most were drop offs. I was at work the other day when my daughter called me crying. Seems our black lab was laying by the side of road barely alive and covered in blood when she got off the school bus. There was nothing I could do. Hard feeling so helpless. So, I told her to call grandpa and my dad came over and put her down for me. It's a hard thing. I had to put his dog down when she got hit while he was in Dubai. So, we got each others backs.
Don't feel like you're being a sissy for feeling bad about your cat dying. I'm a woman. But, we're all human and we all feel love, grief and pain.

NRA life member, thanks to Steve. Smiler

Running on empty...

Posts: 250 | Location: God's Country | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The new kitten we picked up at the Humane Soc. Shelter is a handful. He'll never take the place of the one we lost but If I can keep the older cat from killing him, he will fit in quite nicely. I'm not human though. I'm a Marine.

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
God Bless the Marines.

One of Us
Picture of NavyVet
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pagosawingnut:
The new kitten we picked up at the Humane Soc. Shelter is a handful. He'll never take the place of the one we lost but If I can keep the older cat from killing him, he will fit in quite nicely. I'm not human though. I'm a Marine.

I stand corrected... God bless you, Marine.

NRA life member, thanks to Steve. Smiler

Running on empty...

Posts: 250 | Location: God's Country | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all. I realize that the grieving only means that the loss was real and that the little fellow owned a part of our lives.
And you are welcome, it was a pleasure to serve my country.

One of Us
Picture of Oddbod
posted Hide Post
I turned 54 a month back, so I reckon if I get a couple more cats now it'll be 50/50 who goes first.
Beats knowing for certain I'll outlive the little buggers.

Posts: 610 | Location: Cumbria, UK | Registered: 09 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth, wife and have three cats at all times. The longest lived is an old orange SPCA grad tom. Wesson and his brother joined us and got named Smith and Wesson.
Smith died shortly afterwards of kennel fever or some such.
Wesson was lonely and grumpy. We were gifted with two kittens Miss Priss and Dufuss. Wesson was more grumpy, but got busy teaching the kittens house rules and cat manners.
Until the kittens got some age they were not allowed to leave the yard. Wesson would run them back to the porch.

Both of the kittens died early, 4 or 5 years, one of a heart problem and Dufuss died of some sort of problem that left his hind quarters usless.
Wesson pretty much remained a grumpy older cat and lonely so we were gifted two kittens. Chatty and Lert.
Wesson complained loudly and continually, but got the young ones organised. This was 3-4 years ago.
We've found it comforting to mourn our friends and find others to learn about when the time is right.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cats don't last long enough. But the one we picked up at the pound has more than too many traits of the one we lost.
thanks for the support, now if the kitten would just leave me to a full nights sleep.......

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since when has it been unmanly to give and to love?

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Real men love, they are warriors, hunters, barbers, laborers, construction workers, plumbers, tailors, waiters, mechanics, they are everything they need to be in order to feed and care for their family's. They also love things like children, fast cars, great women, and cats and dogs. You did well by being there when no one else could be, kudos to you my friend! Just my opinion....

Posts: 94 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 08 March 2012Reply With Quote