New
Find
Notify
Tools

snakes
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Not sure where to put this one. We've killed two of these on the porch and one in the garage in the past two weeks. Our outside cat found the one in the garage. Got to be a nest somewhere close.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blends into your carpet way too well. Looks more like a rat snake than any of the Crotalus genus, but still they have no business in your house. The cats are supposed to kill them, not chase them into the house. I know that cats are kept in Old Mexico because they are a real death dealer to rattlers.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a carpet snake!

Sorry, someone had to do it!

Here a carpet snake is a type of python. Often lives in the roof space, etc.

DRSS

Posts: 1898 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 450 Fuller
posted Hide Post
Take a close look at that snake.
The Pygmy rattler has similar coloring pattern-on the back.

Now-look at the end of the tail and examine the head closely.

Posts: 353 | Location: Between Alaska and Gulf of Mexico | Registered: 22 December 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That looks like a massasauga. Where are you located?

Posts: 1238 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just south of Wichita Falls, I think that's what it is too.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMO, it does not look like a member of the crotalus genre (rattlesnakes)? The pattern does not look like it. I could be wrong + damned sure wouldn't be wanting to get bitten by it, regardless of species. We also have a snake here in central Texas that has a similar scale pattern, but when aroused, flares its neck like a cobra. They are not dangerous, but will scare the hell out of you when they stand up, flare their hoods, hiss at you. I'm sorry, but everyone that has done it to me, I have killed on the spot. Call it nerves.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
rabbithabit--South of WF-Scotland, Windthorst, Archer City?

Posts: 3797 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wichita Falls, just inside Archer County

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm originally from Iowa Park, right outside WF. We had our share of rattlers there too.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Norman Conquest--What age were you when living in Iowa Park?

Posts: 3797 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Carpetman, We left when I was 6, but came back frequently during the 60s as that was where the family was, plus my uncle John had the Massey-Ferguson dealership + propane dealership in WF. He also had a share in a dairy. I remember, as a kid, getting that long S/S dipper + getting a bit of that ice-cold full cream milk from the milk vats. Couldn't do that today, of course. Most all the last generation are gone, but my cousin inherited Uncle Harold's house, so there is still one family member to visit on occasion. It's a long drive anymore. Since you are in San Angelo, do you know a taxidermist named Danny Adney? I'm an old friend of his uncle + cousins.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Norman Conquest--I do not know Danny Adney.(I'm not into having things mounted). I do my own makeshift of antlers. (I do Know Henry Dusek that is a taxidermist). I am from Wichita Falls and my wife lived in Iowa Park when we married. I know several people in Iowa Park.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norman Conquest:
Carpetman, We left when I was 6, but came back frequently during the 60s as that was where the family was, plus my uncle John had the Massey-Ferguson dealership + propane dealership in WF. He also had a share in a dairy. I remember, as a kid, getting that long S/S dipper + getting a bit of that ice-cold full cream milk from the milk vats. Couldn't do that today, of course. Most all the last generation are gone, but my cousin inherited Uncle Harold's house, so there is still one family member to visit on occasion. It's a long drive anymore. Since you are in San Angelo, do you know a taxidermist named Danny Adney? I'm an old friend of his uncle + cousins.

Did he have the Massey dealership on Old Iowa Park Road?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't remember the road it was on, but it was the only dealership in town, so probably. He also had his propane dealership there, "John's Tractor + Gas". He had quite the collection of combines.
Carpetman, my cousin that lives in Iowa Park that inherited her Dad's house (uncle Harold) is Alton + Vicki Walker. They have lived there all their life, so you or your wife might know them; it's not a huge community, as you know.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Carpetman, I asked about Danny because when he was up here several years ago visiting relatives, I got to know him + we came to an agreement to raise quails, pheasants, etc. that he would use in his taxidermy business. He (or someone) would build those glass topped + sided classy coffee + end tables with birds in flight or various wildlife scenes. I thought it was a great idea at the time + we built many cages, built brooder cages+ bought an incubator, etc. It never really got off the ground though (sorry, pun unintended) but it was a fun learning experience on raising birds.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
rabbitthabit, I know that is correct, after thinking about it, but it's been a lot of years. That old redbrick building was the original homestead.