Find
Notify
Tools

Ganyana's lions
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
He used to come here from time to time, and I hope all is well with him and his. I don't know why I dreamed about his lionesses last night. Very pleasant thought, to be near such magnificent cats.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16284 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
He used to come here from time to time, and I hope all is well with him and his. I don't know why I dreamed about his lionesses last night. Very pleasant thought, to be near such magnificent cats.

Do you mean Don Heath? Unfortunately Don passed away back in 2015. A real loss. He was a good man.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Bax, I never knew who he was, and didn't try to know more, wishing to preserve the idea of "the most interesting man in the world."
This breaks my heart. I hope his cats are safe.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16284 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Shit.

– John Green, author

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bax, I never knew who he was, and didn't try to know more, wishing to preserve the idea of "the most interesting man in the world."
This breaks my heart. I hope his cats are safe.

He definitely was an interesting person. Spoke with an authority very rare these days.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
And he thought well of the 9,3X62.
Cool

– John Green, author

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wasn't he buddies with Saeed?
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
And he thought well of the 9,3X62.
Cool

One could argue in recent years that he was to the 9.3 what Selby was to the .416.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Well Baxter,I have had both,the 9.3 + the .375.IMOP the 375 H+H is the only way to go. Using this calibre means never to say you're sorry.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
Well Baxter,I have had both,the 9.3 + the .375.IMOP the 375 H+H is the only way to go. Using this calibre means never to say you're sorry.

Can’t disagree there.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don Heath was nicknamed Ganyana..

Ganyana Safaris is Saeeds friends Roy and Allen Vincent, thus the confusion..and has been for years on AR, so thought Id clear that up.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41746 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Don Heath was nicknamed Ganyana..

Ganyana Safaris is Saeeds friends Roy and Allen Vincent, thus the confusion..and has been for years on AR, so thought Id clear that up.

I’ve seen a picture of Don and Saeed, I believe in Dubai. So they’ve met at least once.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
He contributed a few articles to the now defunct magazines: Precision Shooting and the Accurate Rifle. It's been 15-20 years. I believe he also contributed to Rifle magazine. Loved his writing, it was straight forward with experience.
I also did not know of his passing.
May his memory be eternal.

Posts: 1015 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
That is very sad to hear. There are some writers that I always enjoyed reading. Wooters, Sitton, Seyfried, Aagard, Shoemaker, Ganyans. I was just re-reading an article he wrote about African cartridges for Rifle Magazine.

If I knew how to copy a PDF, I'd cut and paste the article here. This is the link:

https://www.riflemagazine.com/...PDF/ri242partial.pdf

Dave

Posts: 917 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don Heath(Ganyana); the 9.3x62 was his favorite dg backup gun even though he had larger calibers.

Posts: 966 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 23 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wife got a pic of a Maine Coon kit + I swear looks just like a lion kit.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I understand that his son is now a member here. Welcome!

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Don Heath (Ganyana) spent his last few years living in Sweden I believe and working for Norma Ammunition. We were friends via email but met and talked at SCI for years.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36388 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of PWN375
posted Hide Post
I was fortunate to have hunted with Don a few times and to have hosted him and his wife in my home during his visits to the States. Don was definitely one the the world's most interesting men. My wife will easily state she has never met a more interesting fellow. My girls loved spending time with him and count being guided by him on their first African hunt a highlight of their lives. Don gave each of my girls claws from the last lion he killed and they still prize those gifts. I miss him and think of him often. RIP old friend and keep the fires burning until we meet again.

Perry

Posts: 1144 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
https://youtu.be/Brdte4Fw2HE

https://youtu.be/jakKUkKTM6c

https://youtu.be/45LHAIds5n8

https://youtu.be/e6JpcBF_zBY

https://youtu.be/e9uL2Dhrmoc

Here is some parts of episodes he did with Fieldsport Britain,just write Don Heath, Fieldsport in YT search .

was mr Rigby before a pc crash

Posts: 158 | Location: Kristiansand, Norway | Registered: 05 August 2009Reply With Quote