New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lost another one
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
After my cat disappeared last year, I found another at Petco while they were showing animals from the Clay County Humane Society. I took her home and had her till today when she passed away from kidney failure. She was supposed to be five years old but the vet said she was probably closer to 10. I always heard of cats that would come when called and this one would do that. The only bad thing about her was the way she would lay in your lap and make your leg go to sleep. She was a good cat; just hope I can find another like her some day.

One of Us
Picture of Dieseltrucker
posted Hide Post
Sorry for you loss. They are good little critters. I have one that is MIA and I suspect coyotes.

Posts: 240 | Location: Alabama  | Registered: 30 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry for your loss it always hurts a little to lose one. Our Katie was a Maine Coon we got at the shelter two years ago they said she was nine but the vet thought she was around 12-14. Lost her to lymphoma this past week.
We will have to make a trip back to the shelter since we are down to 4 now we like to get the older ones that no one else will home.

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1502 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
seeing threads like this choke me up .
As I am sitting here typing a feral mother cat which I made friends with & had neutered is sleeping next to my computer.
8 feet away a is a male neutered tomcat which is sleeping by the wood stove. He looks like he has alot of Maine Coon cat in him. Coincidently I named him Roland when because when I finally was able to pet him he would just keep rolling over & over. When I took him to be neutered (Beat the Heat) they asked me his name for his info. It was all I could think of @ the time

Cats have nine lives. Which makes them ideal for experimentation...

Posts: 947 | Location: NYB | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Cats are special, and those of us that accept them for being special always grieve when we lose those special friends.

Lora and I have two, one is 13 years old, the other is a little over one year old.

The older on is a Siamese, his name is Martok and he along with 8 of his siblings along with their mother was dropped off at the back gate of the Fort Worth Zoo.

The Mom and one of the kittens disappeared, and Lora and I adopted Martok. The other cat is an orange striped Tabby who we named Gulliver.

He was dropped off in our front yard a little over a year ago.

Those two boys are my traveling buddies. When I get ready to make my daily rounds on the properties I work on, I call their names and they go out of the house and jump in the pick up and spend the day with me, making my rounds, checking cattle, filling deer feeders, whatever.

I have them a litter box in the floor between the front and back seats of the pick up on one side and a water bowl on the other and I give them treats and food during the day.

Martok has his own FaceBook page and has been to Colorado with us at least 6 times, including visiting the Four Corners Monument. I was raised up having pet dogs, and we have 3 of them, but cats are special.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all of you. There is something special about cats. I am looking into adopting another cat. Now they have you fill out a form that is like buying a new home. My little Evie is lonesome for her buddy; she wants to be loved more than before.

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
I still mourn the loss of cats past. Hope you are found by another cat. You guys must be good cat staff.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We have about a dozen young feral barn cats that come to the house twice aday for feed. One wants to be friends but is still not sure. My wife doesn't want another cat; said it hurts too bad when we lose one. I am still looking and figure one will show up one day. Wish Brice wasn't so far away.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cats or dogs, doesn't really matter. Those that worm their way into our hearts and lives, leave a hole when they pass on, it is the only way they ever hurt us. All they want from us is love and care.

They are our children that never grow up. Life would be so empty without them.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
It is always a loss to lose a true family member.Even more so when you know that they died a terrible death by coyotes. I have lost several + now the kids stay inside but they don't like it.Why don't I kill them! Before you pass judgement be aware that I have been killing all the coyotes that I can,but I don't get them all.I admit that they have their place in nature; I will also admit that I have mine.My condolences for your loss.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you. At least I got to bury this one but still miss the other one. I think it would be a lifetime job to kill all the coyotes here in Archer County.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Archer and Young county both I work on properties in both counties in the area around Olney.

There have always been lots of coyotes in the area as far back as I can remember. I was born in Olney in 1950 and started hunting in 1965-66, and coyotes were just as plentiful then as now.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Old Mr. Pickle was a fur trader + state paid trapper that excelled in coyotes before he got Alzheimers + was put away. No one has filled his void.He worked out of the Jonestown area. You could always find him in his old jeep W/ dead coyotes strapped to the vehicle.He also hung their carcasses on the fences where he killed them.His reasoning was this: the coyote is a very intelligent animal + is pack related,thus when he sees you debasing his kith + kin he gets mad,+ when he gets mad he stops reasoning.Much easier to kill then.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
No darned fun losing your kitty companions. We are between right now. Our old blackie, Spencer, would purr and drool when you loved him up.
Rolland, you are a good man for adopting the older ones.
My brother and a close friend in Chico, CA, have had a terrible time with predation by coyotes and cougars.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16303 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sometimes when I lose one the kids to the coyotes my 1st thought that I did'nt kill them was to wish that Ben Lilly was still around.Then sense creeps in.One can not have a total eradication of a species without dire results.They do need to be culled but someone like Ben would kill them all + do it as "Gods Work"! I've always had a problem with people doing actions in their own opinion as "God's Work." If you are interested in reading about Ben Lilly + his eradication of the mountain lions + black bears of Texas,there is a great book written by J. Frank Dobie.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
All of our cats are rescues, and Lora and I both are believers in that it is the owners of pets that should be licensed, not the pet.

To bring things into "Real Time" terms, speaking from a fair amount of experience and not trying to turn it into a sermon, there are some aspects of cat ownership that people need to re-evaluate themselves and how they deal with their cats.

1. While coyotes can/do and will kill a house cat any chance they get, so will a Great Horned Owl. Great Horned's may be even a bigger predator of house cats than coyotes.

2. While I Lora and I love our cats and do have a couple we let outside into the yard with our dogs during the day time, but at night they are in the house, because at night is when they are most vulnerable to predation by coyotes and other predators.

3. This is the one many will balk at or not consider, but North America as a whole was not scheduled to a small feline predator other than the Bobcat and Lynx.
Yes, southwestern U.S. is credited with having Ocelot/Jaguarundi and Margay, but those animals are restricted to far south Texas, and the Margay is actually questionable because the only "incident" a dried skin found at Eagle Pass, Tin the 1800's.

Apart from that, house cats kill millions of song birds and small mammals, cottontails and squirrels annually.

Feral house cats are a problem across the country, and unlike actual house pets, can and do learn how to avoid predators to an extent.

It is nice to try and let them have a little freedom, but it is so easy for them to get taken by a predator, that to me it is not worth the risk, especially in the more rural areas.

As for exterminating coyotes, when the last human lays dying on the ground, there will be coyotes on the hill singing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am always finding bit and pieces of rabbits and birds that my barn cats kill. We had an old black mamma cat that is at least 10 years old and we haven't seen her in nearly a year. Then she showed up last week for a visit. Finally found out she has been living down the road from us. She is a great mouser and how she survived all these years is a mystery.
There have always been lots of coyotes but seems like they have multiplied in the last two years.
My little Evie doesn't go any further outside than the garage so she should last a long time.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When we built our current house we put up a six foot cedar fence around the back part of the lot. We live just yards from the river and all kinds of varmints roam the banks. We have two very expensive Siamese girls (my wife's) and two Maine Coon rescues. altho the girls have been taught to go on a leash the Coons will have no part of it. Any other cats we get from time to time will stay in the yard now altho the Siamese learned to dig out under the fence until I concreted the bottom. Smartest cats we ever had.

NRA life member
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1502 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rolland,now after the concrete base escape you need to wrap the upright posts w/ sheet metal, I pray that you have'nt had them declawed.They will climb the posts otherwise. Better than to outthink them than to damage them + forever not allow them a means of escape.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My vertical posts are 2x2 metal frame no wood other than the fence. No they are not and never will be declawed and I would like to make a suggestion that anyone that wants a cat de-clawed has to have their finger nails pulled out first. Mad I do have an 18 inch plastic fabric fence along the top rail that projects at a 45 degree angle inward that stopped them going over the top.

NRA life member
NRA Golden Eagles member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good for you + your cats. I have had to skirt the 2nd story deck posts w/ sheet metal (no sweat as that is my business) just to keep the kids from going on to the roof + then heaven knows where.Just a new adventure for them + coyote is not in their vocabulary.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have seen some that were declawed and it looks terrible. Felt sorry for the poor things.