THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CATS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Cats    How do you stop a bully cat?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do you stop a bully cat?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My rescue cat (snickers) is bullying my Evie cat. I keep rolled up socks to throw at her when she is stalking Evie or just throw something to distract her. Snickers is a loving cat but need to find someway to keep her from being a bully. Any ideas?

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Don't worry about it as it is the nature of the (beast). After several decades of cats I have found that ANYTIME a new cat comes on the "territory" the others react.The plus side of this is that young kittens are resiliant while older cats give in after a while .It works that way 100% of the time.DON'T WORRY!

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of the ways, and it works, is to get a toy the kind on a string and feather they can chase. When Snickers goes in to her stalk and attack mode use the toy to distract her. It also helps to play with her a few minutes a day just to keep her interested. It may be that she just needs to work off some energy, they don't always bully in that sense just need something to chase.

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1504 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And torment. It is their nature.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Norman
You are confusing women with cats. I know cause I have 5 cats and a wife and trained all of them but one. sofa

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1504 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I stand humbly beneath your wisdom.In my case,divorce was the solution....but I still clean the litter box for the deserving ones.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have three cats and except for Snickers, they are pretty well trained. Can't say the same of the wife of 46 years. Kinda like the Merle Haggard song; Your man loves you honey, don't know what else to say.

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Some will not agree with this, but Lora and I have found that if you take a spray bottle, fill it with tap water and adjust the nozzle to shoot a stream, not a mist or fog, and keep it handy and when the bully starts its stalk, wait until it gets almost within striking distance of its target and spray it in the face.

It is an easy and safe way to stop such unwanted behaviors.

After just a few treatments the "Bully" gpes on about its business if it just sees the bottle being picked up.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
True;they have long memories for some things.My furry black one still wants his "Temptations" treats months after not giving them to him.I have read several articles about the dangers of feeding them dry food as a leading cause of renal failure.The temptations have been termed 'Kitty Crack'. Would love to hear any input on this from other cat afficianatos.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We give them as treats to our cats all the time.

My three running buddies that ride around with me when doing my daily rounds, get them as treats.

Our oldest cat, a 15 or 16 year old at least, Siamese named Martok sets by the back door and if we don't watch him he will dart out the door headed for the pickup any time we go out.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a squirt bottle by the side garage door and use it on the outside cats that try to get in the garage. Haven't thought of trying it on Snickers but will give it a shot.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We have a similar situation at our house.

We have some feral kittens that Lora has messed with a little too much and we are trying to find them homes, but the bolder ones just waltz right in the house if we open the door, so we spray them in the face and after a couple of times, they stop trying to run in.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
At least with water + not ammonia it is at least humane (+ yes I have heard of folks doing that).Thanks on the treats update Randle;I tend to agree,it's convincing the other half. BTW,still waiting to hear back from Harry on the 10G.3 1/2" Bismus shells.

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Just watching here. Haven't got a new cat yet after putting my old friend down. One day a cat will probably adopt ME.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is true. I used to be a no cat person until 'Skunk' came into my life. Doug, Cats ,just like real love will come to you with no notice.Shall we see?R.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
He/she will fall into your lap out of the blue.Then you know real love (human or cat)True!

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
4 solutions based on the fact that you won't be able to curb the enthusiasm of the bully too much. I have had cats my whole life. Rescues to 3rd generation biological cats from the same matriarch.
1 cone of shame. If the cat bullies, put a vet cone on their head.
2 let the bully cat spend most of its time outdoors to get out its natural instinct.
3 have a cat hammock or perch that the sweet cat can go that prevents attacks.
4 get a new cat (the only 100% proven solution)

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote