New
Find
Notify
Tools

Unwelcome cats
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a neighbor down the road that collects cats and feeds them outside. The authorities have been called and her responce has been that she's just feeding the strays so they won't starve. She has 3 licenced cats inside the house which is the limit in this county, same as dogs. These cats crap in my flower beds, piss on my deck and attack the birds coming into my bird feeders. I was wondering if anyone here had a non lethal way of running the cats off?

Posts: 3061 | Registered: 06 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
Jack Russell Terrier? Big Grin

Much as I love cats it's hard to change their minds once they find a place they like and the Birdcat feeder in your yard doesn't help. They don't like jangling sounds, shaking a ring of keys will make most run off in a panic. I believe OC spray or ground red pepper dusted in the flower beds will help to ward them away from those areas.

Will the local Humane Society live trap them?

Hope you find a fix short of the "final option".

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
2 Quarts warm water
4 tbsp dry mustard
3 tbsp cayenne pepper
2 tbsp chili powder
5 tbsp flour.

Mix and spray where they are not welcome.

It seemed to work for a couple of months in my peat moss mulched blueberry patch. I needed one reapplication this summer.

I am still contemplating a lethal cure...

Posts: 289 | Location: Western UP of Michigan  | Registered: 05 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bury a couple of small balloons where they dig.
Also a Paintball gun, or an Airsoft works well.

"When doing battle, seek a quick victory."

Posts: 4739 | Location: London England | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got 6 cats to relocate today. I have an old pontoon boat that had washed up on the bank. I put a can of catfood and tied up some ballons as you suggested as an attractant. Worked real good as I pushed the raft off and they're traveling now. Maybe now I can get some rest. Thanks to all for the ideas.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Went poking along the river looking for spots to set some traps for muskrats and found the old pontoon washed up on shore again. Only made it about 200 yards from my place. Well they haven't been back yet so maybe they didn't like the ride.

posted Hide Post
Next time, put some Tylenol or antifreeze in that cat food.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeS:

George

Paracetamol works too.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Paracetamol

Great minds think alike. Big Grin

Tylenol contains acetaminophen, which is the US name for Paracetamol.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Donny01
posted Hide Post
I Had a problem with cats as well, as mentioned above, pepper works like a charm as well as bone meal? But stick with the pepper, you cant go wrong with that.

Don Jooste & Doug Duckworth

doubledproductionsdon@gmail.com
doubledproductionsdoug@gmail.com
doubledproductionstara@gmail.com

Double D’ Productions

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Between snares, box trap and .17M2 I had 'em cleared out and the survivors wouldn't come around.

Now the new neighbors have brought more in. So there's three over here again. One had nested under my concrete patio where the ground had sunk in. Three wks ago we had a snow and I shoveled a pile of it into and on top the hole it used. Havent' seen any evidence of going back yet. Still come's around but, not as much.

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
catch them & send them to me shocker i really would like to have them stirandi know just what to do with them flame BOOM diggin

Posts: 13439 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the best "reactive" target a person could want.

Posts: 265 | Location: Hammertown, USA | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
catch em in a cage trap , douse em with lots of water , leave them out in the frost , release them in the morning and they will run away and not return. ( well , the one I treated that way never returned )

Or - catch em in a cage , drop the cage into a deep pool of water - like deeper than the height of the cage - and wait till the bubbles stop , them haul em out for a big breathe then do it all over again, and again, and again , and again. Then let the little wet rascal go... done three so far and none of them have returned... negative reinforcement I beleive its called in polite circles.....

no kitties were visibly harmed in this posting .... cant say bout psychological damage tho ...

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4454 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Swamp_Fox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muzza:
catch em in a cage trap , douse em with lots of water , leave them out in the frost , release them in the morning and they will run away and not return. ( well , the one I treated that way never returned )

Or - catch em in a cage , drop the cage into a deep pool of water - like deeper than the height of the cage - and wait till the bubbles stop , them haul em out for a big breathe then do it all over again, and again, and again , and again. Then let the little wet rascal go... done three so far and none of them have returned... negative reinforcement I beleive its called in polite circles.....

no kitties were visibly harmed in this posting .... cant say bout psychological damage tho ...

Did they give up any sensitive defense intel?

"Policies making areas "gun free" provide a sense of safety to those who engage in magical thinking..." Glenn Harlan Reynolds

Posts: 8696 | Location: MO | Registered: 03 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Clem
posted Hide Post
Be glad she aint feeding these. Eeker

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2...hborhood/?test=faces

We'd have to recall Oldelkhunter back to active duty.

salute

Posts: 1292 | Location: I'm right here! | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Swamp_Fox:
quote:
Originally posted by muzza:

Did they give up any sensitive defense intel?

My thoughts, exactly! Kitty waterboarding rotflmo

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
I think some variation of this product would help out,or at least provide entertainment

squirrelpault

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We just put out two of these "Scarecrow" water squirting gadgets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...TkpY&feature=related

We haven't found any dog or deer droppings since, and the next door cat now makes a big detour around our yard. It works, I'll give it that. Easily adjusted as to sensitivity and arc; it goes for 3 seconds when it fires.

Posts: 5704 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 14 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Would that also work on the canine family (wolves)

jumping

Posts: 847 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...MV8&feature=youtu.be

Posts: 4454 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As death has already been mentioned + that is not a viable solution + as the cayenne pepper will need to be reapplied after every rain;what I do in my beds is to cut small branches from the Aguirita bushes (a spikey holly variety native to here),+ distribute it liberally in the flower beds.It will keep EVERYONE out of your beds when digging is involved.Besides after the fact it breaks down + is additional compost for the beds.Win,win!

Posts: 4103 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A fireman friend of mine had a departmental way of dealing with cats, squirrels, possums and other troublesome creatures, a relocation type program of sort, it went like this

Use a large fire extinguisher , spray them till they become FROSTY WHITE, they become somewhat placid as if they are frozen. When in this state they are easily and safely handled. They then place them in a dumpster or other similar holding device and then the sanitation division sanitizes them of some sort and relocates them. So far it has been a success since not one of them ever returned, seems like they don't like white or something?

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2295 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was wondering if anyone here had a non lethal way of running the cats off?

sorry can't help you there

Posts: 13439 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just gave you one,please reread my post.Thanks for listening + remember to LOVE your kittens.

Posts: 4103 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
The Havahart-type cages are non-lethel.

Catch kitty , transport kitty to local SPCA , sign him over -jobs done

One of Us
posted Hide Post
JB,
FRAKKING GREAT video! ROTFLMAO!! When my family first moved to San Antonio (TX) in 65 the squirrels were such a nuisance there was a $20 bounty on them. Turn in a pair of ears, get a nice portrait of Old Hickory.

As for stray cats, we don't have that problem in my neighborhood. BIG stretch of unimproved property east and south of my subdivision and I have SEEN coyotes trotting across the road on many occasions. Coyotes nearby = no stray cats. Works for me!

Remember, there's more than one way to skin a cat and they're pretty much all fun - except to the cat.

`

A wise man’s heart directs him toward the right, but the foolish man’s heart directs him toward the left.
(Ecclesiastes 10:2 New American Standard Bible)

Posts: 1400 | Location: Southeast San Antonio, TX | Registered: 05 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Mullins,where did you move from? Certainly not from ANYWHERE in Texas. I will say that I am no fan of feral cats;I am also realistic in the fact that coyotes are a much bigger problem to everyone in central Texas.At the risk of giving you ideas why not bait your coyote traps with feral cats? Sounds like a win,win to me!Oh,I'm, sorry,this has nothing to do with factual enterprise.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
NC, we moved to San Antonio from Odessa. I was born in Texas and except for an excursion to Mexico when I was a babe in arms, I never left the state till after my 18th birthday.

FYI, I used to live in Silicon Gulch. Lived there 5 years. They still got the same dress code at Barton Springs?

`

A wise man’s heart directs him toward the right, but the foolish man’s heart directs him toward the left.

Posts: 1400 | Location: Southeast San Antonio, TX | Registered: 05 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They certainly do have the same dress code.The Ladies go topless as usual (I assume that's what you meant).No worries;those of us in the "straight"variety appreciate a young womans attributes;besides give it a break.we're only going swimming.

One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
Did we digress, feral cats to topless swimmers?

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Did we digress, feral cats to topless swimmers?

What's the matter, Scriptus? Got something topless women in public? Me, I LIKE it. Guess I was weaned too soon.

Anyhow, talking about and thinking about topless babes is better'n talking about offing feral cats, isn't it?

`

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scriptus my lad you are one strange fellow indeed if you find the discussion of feral cats to that of topless ladies a digression in subject matter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had a big tom crapping in my Hybicus about 15 yrs ago. Got tired of it. Ambushed him right when he was squatting, hit him right in the ass w/ a .22 Benjamin. Only 1 pump, just enough to sting. Cat shot straight up about 4-5 feet. Never crapped in the Hybiscus again.

The things you see when you don't have a gun.
NRA Endowment Life Member
Proud father of an active duty
Submariner... Go NAVY!

Posts: 436 | Location: Lynchburg, Home of Texas Independence | Registered: 28 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BTW, have 2 of the neighbors cats that are the best, Gator(Tom) and Skooter,aka Kitty kat(female) that I take care of on a regular basis. Saved Skeeter as a kitten.

The things you see when you don't have a gun.
NRA Endowment Life Member
Proud father of an active duty
Submariner... Go NAVY!

Posts: 436 | Location: Lynchburg, Home of Texas Independence | Registered: 28 July 2007Reply With Quote