Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Be Careful?
 Login/Join

posted
I just got over a bout with "cat scratch fever" from my new kitty (6mos). One tiny scratch to the finger when playing with her before bed, and I almost didn't wake the next morning! My Mother came over when she got no response with a phone call, off to the Emergency room! I had a fever of 104.3 for two day's and almost died! Spent a week in hospital and am home now, but still don't feel good yet....So Be Careful if you get scratched!
Next week she get's declawed (not taking any chances)!

Steve

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Declawing a cat is one of the worst things you can do to an animal. You need to find another way to deal with the problem. There are many things, including caps for there claws. Before you do that google declawing cats and see what effect it has on them. I am sorry you got so sick, but some people apparently are prone to the bacteria from their claws.

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1501 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the cat were to get out unsuprvised, she would have no defense against a dog or another cat. She wouldn't even be able to climb to safety.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I agree wholeheartedly against declawing.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
If your cat is amenable to it, light trimming with fingernail clippers on her front claws can reduce your scratches and also not hinder her climbing and catching ability.

I had a cat once that would start "stabbing" you with his claws when he was being petted and cuddled, which he adored but would turn into agony eventually. So one day the fingernail clippers were right there so he got his front nails clippered while he was being petted/cuddled. Afterwards it was really the coolest thing, as it turned out he was just trying to pet me back! So instead of getting scratched all to bejeezus all the time I'd get these great little "face massages" from him. Then whenever the claws started getting scratchy I'd just snip them again, he never seemed to mind.

Anyway, you can try that or emery boards but as mentioned declawing is pretty hard on the lifetime of a cat.

And I am sorry to hear about your illness, and glad you have recovered!

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7754 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark:
If your cat is amenable to it, light trimming with fingernail clippers on her front claws can reduce your scratches and also not hinder her climbing and catching ability.

I had a cat once that would start "stabbing" you with his claws when he was being petted and cuddled, which he adored but would turn into agony eventually. So one day the fingernail clippers were right there so he got his front nails clippered while he was being petted/cuddled. Afterwards it was really the coolest thing, as it turned out he was just trying to pet me back! So instead of getting scratched all to bejeezus all the time I'd get these great little "face massages" from him. Then whenever the claws started getting scratchy I'd just snip them again, he never seemed to mind.

Anyway, you can try that or emery boards but as mentioned declawing is pretty hard on the lifetime of a cat.

And I am sorry to hear about your illness, and glad you have recovered!

Good call.

Stephen

Posts: 538 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: 14 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
And if you don't want to trim those claws yourself, call around for prices at the local vet shops...around here, some vets charge as much as $20, but that is exorbitant. By letting my fingers do the walking, I found one a block from my home which doesn't require appointments and does it for $8!! $8 4 times per year is a small price to pay for my cat and I to be able to roughhouse with each other with no risk of bloodletting or infection (which we both love doing).

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been scratched hundreds of times by cats.
Staph bacteria live all around you not just on cats.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR4759:

Gotta keep your immune system ready-for-battle somehow!

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR4759:

"Cat scratch fever" classically caused by member of "psittacosis lymphogranuloma venereum" group, a virus-like particle, not a bacterium like Staph.

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought it was classically caused by Ted Nugent......

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thought it was Meatloaf?

Dutch

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Just work with your cat and get it used to regular nail trimmings. We de-clawed two of our cats several years ago, and I will never have that done again.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't declaw her. It's the same as having your fingers cut off at the knuckle and no kitty deserves that. Not sure what happened with your infection but hopefully it was a one time thing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is caused by a bacterium Bartonella quintana or B. henselai (sp?). I was doing a stint at the AFIP when it was first identified by Col Doug Ware MD in the geographic and infectious disease branch. It was first named Afipia felis before it was finally identified as belongin to Bartonella.

Jerry Liles

Posts: 531 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote