New
Find
Notify
Tools

Now, this is a cat...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My buddy Ed with his female jaguar, Loki. She lives in an enclosure in his back yard in El Salvador.

He has a refuge with fifteen lions, two pumas, seven jaguars, and three Bengal tigers...

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mary Hilliard-Krueger
posted Hide Post
Nice kitty, she's a beaut! Wink
Hope you don't mind me posting a picture of my friend Jack with his male jag, Billy. Billy was quite young in this picture. Jack has a big cat compound in Ohio. I worked with him for several years, many moons ago.

Here's a few more as he progressed into adulthood:

Taxidermist/Rugmaker

Posts: 904 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 12 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Amazing cats!

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Where in Ohio is his compound? We unfortunately do not have any restrictions on exotics in this state. Several years ago there were numerous sightings on a large cat in the agricultural area east of Columbus. I am just curious if his place in in the area.

Posts: 5697 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buckeye,

The compound was in the Northeastern part of the state. I worked there 30 years ago and have heard that when all the cats passed the property was turned into a horse farm. I did a bit of cat transporting for breeding and had been on many compounds that should never have owned or housed exotics. My friend however, was quite wealthy and had enclosures better than some zoo's I have been too, as far as size, security and habitat which provided entertainment and excercise for all his cats.

The jag, in the picture, and a female cougar were the only cats that were walked on the property(several hundred acres), as they were raised as contact cats since 3 days old. When Billy was full grown at nearly 350 pounds he was as gentle as a lamb, just like a big lazy neutered house cat. Now the two leopards were another story.

Was the cat you speak of ever captured? I just returned from that area dropping my daughter off at college. Eeker

Taxidermist/Rugmaker

Posts: 904 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 12 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info Mary. The cat was never caught. It was seen by over 20 people along a suburban railroad bed that bordered farmland for a 3 month period. Some of them being Law Enforcement Officers. The Law Enforcement folks tried to drive it out of a park near the Columbus airport-- again bordering an industrial park, a city park and the railroad bed. They did not see it. After 3 months, it was seen several times near Newark,Ohio about 15 miles east along the same rail line. I know there are several Lion owners in Newark as I happened into a Wendy's for lunch one day and the owner had a male about 3 years chained in the back of a cargo van. It was looking out the window as I walked past. I always thought it was a Lion or leopard that got loose and finally returned home. There are according to Law Enforcement 28 exotic cat owners in Franklin county (Columbus)and heavens knows how many in surrounding counties. I do however, have a box of 458WM in 350 grain Barnes X's in case it shows up on my horsefarm, again which is close to the railline. An Arab Showhorse is a bit pricier than a dog or cow.
Is your daughter going to Ohio State? As a 3rd generation OSU grad we always like to have a larger Buckeye Nation.

Posts: 5697 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:
I know there are several Lion owners in Newark as I happened into a Wendy's for lunch one day and the owner had a male about 3 years chained in the back of a cargo van. There are according to Law Enforcement 28 exotic cat owners in Franklin county (Columbus)and heavens knows how many in surrounding counties. I do however, have a box of 458WM in 350 grain Barnes X's in case it shows up on my horsefarm, again which is close to the railline. An Arab Showhorse is a bit pricier than a dog or cow.
Is your daughter going to Ohio State? As a 3rd generation OSU grad we always like to have a larger Buckeye Nation.

It's idiots like the guy in the pick-up truck that give reputable exotic pet owners a bad name. I agree wholeheartedly that there should be a stricter process to go through to be deemed capable of owning and caring for exotics. Good call on your Arab protection. When I worked in Veterinary medicine, I drug tested the Arabs at the All Arabian Horse Show here in Az. Worked with and met Wayne Newton, Danke Schoen! lol

Taxidermist/Rugmaker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This all reminds of of an old Dick Van Dyke
movie.....Here kitty kitty, bang bang! BOOM

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Interesting thread.

Back in the late 1960s through to early 1970s in the UK thee was a 'fashion' to keep big cats as exotic pets. I think some pop starts and their followers started it. They were copying the Cheetah on a chain hunting traditions of the real Persian Shahs and the Indian Moguls.

One of these big cats was kept in World's End , apublic house / drinking den or area in East London. It was an African lion.

Anyway, the stories of big cats roaming the 'remoter' parts of England (Exmoor & Dartmoor) and the Scottish Highlands are believed to originate from set free exotic pets or have escaped from wildlife parks. A small number of the Scotish beasties have died from lead poisoning. Eating lamb will seriously damage your health...

Posts: 1289 | Location: England | Registered: 07 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Question??? Is the fur on any of these cats soft like a house cat or corse like a dogs coat?
The reason I ask is I've just seen a piece of National Geographic TV about the Snow Leopard and wondered about their fur. All are "Beautiful Creatures". I'de love to hunt one with a "camera". Wink

Posts: 62 | Location: Potter Valley, Ca.125 mi. N. of SF | Registered: 08 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nor Cal Mikie:
Question??? Is the fur on any of these cats soft like a house cat or corse like a dogs coat?
The reason I ask is I've just seen a piece of National Geographic TV about the Snow Leopard and wondered about their fur. All are "Beautiful Creatures". I'de love to hunt one with a "camera". Wink

A camera????

I think "hunting" and "camera" should not be used in the same sentence. Wink

One of Us
Picture of silkibex
posted Hide Post
Mikie,
snow leopard fur is not as downy as average housecat fur. It's more like coyote

Posts: 210 | Location: Central Asia/SE Asia | Registered: 02 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Vemo
posted Hide Post
Is this the same place that is in the news today?

JOIN SCI!

Posts: 318 | Location: 40N,105W | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With Quote