What?
 Login/Join

posted
Im not english speaking.
What is a feral cat?

Posts: 75 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There may be other definitions but from where I come from a feral cat is house cat that has been turned loose and becomes wild. Sort of like a house cat that has gone wild. Not sure if others have a different definition but this is what I have always defined as a feral cat.

Jim NRA member

Posts: 74 | Location: Southwest Pennsylvania | Registered: 30 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Feral Cat ... is one that is born wild. Descended from domestic cats ... but not a Stray or abandoned cat.

http://www.bing.com/reference/...p&fwd=1&q=feral+cats

"When doing battle, seek a quick victory."

Posts: 4739 | Location: London England | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks, its what I thought. A wildcat.

Posts: 75 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
A feral organism is one that has escaped from domestication and returned, partly or wholly, to a wild state

just like a feral hog...click this link for definitions

Usually feral is accepted as "at one time, domestic, but gone wild"

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
posted Hide Post
Now commonly used to describe a "Returned to Wild" animal but not really correct usage.
A Feral cat is totally different to an ex-domestic, I've got a couple of each. The ones Born Wild then tamed are far more alert and aggressive than any house Cat.

Posts: 4739 | Location: London England | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
I have a cat, Charlie, that was a feral I got when he was still a young kitten. He's as tame as can be around me my wife and our other animals but hyper alert, not real aggressive but likes to play a lot. There are very few other people he will even show himself too. He was so young when we got him I figured he wouldn't have any feral left in him. There are two people to date who can come in the house and he's comfortable with them. Very odd, not sure what he see's different in them over others.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I fed a feral tom until we became buds.
Brutus was basically an attack cat.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Like my Gard Cat "O2" ... he figured he was real tough till a little girl came RIGHT UP to the window sill that's his forward post and SMILED at him, she had absolutely NO TEETH! Freaked him right out.
Funny as heck, he hid in the garden for ages.