Find
Notify
Tools

All US 1911s to CMP
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
quote:
The United States House of Representatives has passed along a new bill that will mandate the release of all M1911 handguns currently in the US Army’s inventory to the Civilian Marksmanship Program, to be redistributed to eligible US civilians.

The text of this new bill can be read below,

(a)Required Transfers.—In accordance with subsection (b) of this section, the Secretary of the Army shall transfer to the corporation all firearms and ammunition that, on February 9, 1996, were under the control of the director of civilian marksmanship (as that position existed under section 4307 of title 10 on February 9, 1996), including—

(1)

all firearms on loan to affiliated clubs and State associations;
(2)

all firearms in the possession of the Civilian Marksmanship Support Detachment; and
(3)

all M–1 Garand and caliber .22 rimfire rifles stored at Defense Distribution Depot, Anniston, Anniston, Alabama.
(b)Time for Transfers.—The Secretary shall transfer firearms and ammunition under subsection (a) of this section as and when necessary to enable the corporation—

(1)

to issue or loan firearms or ammunition under section 40731 of this title; or
(2)

to sell firearms or ammunition under section 40732 of this title.
(c)Vesting of Title in Transferred Items.—Title to an item transferred to the corporation under this section shall vest in the corporation—

(1)

on the issuance of the item to an eligible recipient under section 40731 of this title; or
(2)

immediately before the corporation delivers the item to a purchaser in accordance with a contract for sale of the item that is authorized under section 40732 of this title.
(d)Storage of Firearms.—

Firearms stored at Defense Distribution Depot, Anniston, Anniston, Alabama, before February 10, 1996, and used for the Civilian Marksmanship Program (as that program existed under section 4308(e) of title 10 before February 10, 1996), shall remain at that facility or another storage facility designated by the Secretary, without cost to the corporation, until the firearms are issued, loaned, or sold by the corporation, or otherwise transferred to the corporation.
(e)Discretionary Transfer of Parts.—

The Secretary may transfer from the inventory of the Department of the Army to the corporation any part from a rifle designated to be demilitarized.
(f)Limitation on Demilitarization of M–1 Rifles.—

After February 10, 1996, the Secretary may not demilitarize an M–1 Garand rifle in the inventory of the Army unless the Defense Logistics Agency decides the rifle is unserviceable.
(g)Cost of Transfers.—

A transfer of firearms, ammunition, or parts to the corporation under this section shall be made without cost to the corporation, except that the corporation shall assume the cost of preparation and transportation of firearms and ammunition transferred under this section.
(h)Authorized Transfers.—

(1)

Subject to paragraph (2), the Secretary may transfer to the corporation, in accordance with the procedure prescribed in this subchapter, surplus caliber .45 M1911/M1911A1 pistols and spare parts and related accessories for those pistols that, on the date of the enactment of this subsection, are under the control of the Secretary and are surplus to the requirements of the Department of the Army, and such material as may be recovered by the Secretary pursuant to section 40728A(a) of this title. The Secretary shall determine a reasonable schedule for the transfer of such surplus pistols.
(2)

The Secretary may not transfer more than 10,000 surplus caliber .45 M1911/M1911A1 pistols to the corporation during any year and may only transfer such pistols as long as pistols described in paragraph (1) remain available for transfer.
(Pub. L. 105–225, Aug. 12, 1998, 112 Stat. 1339; Pub. L. 114–92, div. A, title X, § 1087(a)(1), Nov. 25, 2015, 129 Stat. 1012.)
As of right now, it looks like this bill is heading toward the Senate with plenty of steam. Should it pass there, we could soon see the transfer of thousands of surplus M1911 handguns to the US civilian market thanks in large part to the Civilian Marksmanship Program.

Now, expectations should be tempered as far as the condition of these handguns, but they will without a doubt make for a cool collection piece!

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of just say moe
posted Hide Post
Gato,
Unless they are priced appropriately (<400) do you think that there will be much collector value in 2-3x overhauled and parts mix matched pistols? The feeding frenzy at the CMP will make the M-1 Carbine look like KIndergarten.

"Pick out two!" - Moe Howard

Posts: 295 | Location: ARKANSAS - Ouachita mtns. | Registered: 19 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Collectors value be damned!Get em while you can! Ditto for M1's + M1A's.We all KNOW that uncle Sugar can fuck up a wet dream!

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Collectors value be damned!Get em while you can! Ditto for M1's + M1A's.We all KNOW that uncle Sugar can fuck up a wet dream!

If the price is close to a new 1911 and one still has to go through a FFL to get them.

Why would one buy a worn out, beat up mil-surplus one.

When one just needs to walk into a store and buy a new better 1911 off the shelve.

It is not like 1911s are not being made any more there are dozens of makers out there.

Posts: 19355 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Unless they are priced appropriately (<400)

I am thinking 200.00 would be about right.

Know it well not be as to many think old is better.

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
As of today, there has been no new information from the CMP re: M1911/A1 sales for over a year (October 2016). It seems some old articles continue to get passed around without noting the publication date.

As recently as the mid-1980's I was a reserve infantry company 1st Sgt with an arms room rack full of M1911A1 pistols. They were all well worn, mixed parts, multiple rebuilt, rattlers. I do not plan to pay any kind of premium to buy one from CMP, should they ever actually go on sale. As stated above, a brand new production 1911 commercial pistol may be purchased at any local gunshop at a reasonable price.

NOTE: No new M1911A1 pistols were built for the the U.S. military after 1945.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Latest from CMP COO Mark Johnson, 9/28/17:

"We are waiting patiently and quietly to see how the NDAA 2018 turns out. All prescribed steps have been taken by CMP to fulfill the mandated requirements for receipt of the 1911s from the U.S.Army. CMP is in a constant state of readiness..."

This has been CMPs position on the 1911s from the beginning. They have refused to comment further.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
Where did you find that? I used to get regular CMP updates, but no longer.

Since Orest retired, the quality and quantity of information coming from CMP (Mark Johnson) has shriveled to nothing. Orest was a patient man and took our interest in stride. Mr. Johnson seems to be irritated by his customers insatiable demand for info.

Dave

Posts: 917 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
CMP has not and will not have a lot to say about the M1911's. For good reason. Too many rumors and false information being spread. That stuff gets back to anti-gunners and gun control congressional members who can attempt to stop the transfer.

You can go to the CMP Forum - Ask CMP - Sticky: Surplus 1911 Sales OK'd by President. You will find 3 pages only. All other 1911 posts have been locked by CMP, as will new posts on the topic, for the reasons stated above.

Yes, I miss Orest too.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I will be EXTREMELY suprised if they release any HANDGUNS to the public.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8344 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
You're probably right. I would have expected better compliance with the current administration.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will state tbis. I am AMAZED that these 1911s are being given to the CMP instead of being DESTROYED.
Thank those responsible. Maybe thank the fact that Trump is President, and not Hillary.
IF HILLARY CLINTON WAS PRESIDENT, WE WOULD BE TURNING OUR GUNS IN....

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If they get them, my guess will be that they will start around $500 and go up from there.

Posts: 1640 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by congomike:
If they get them, my guess will be that they will start around $500 and go up from there.

Considering the price CMP is getting for Carbines and Garands (particularly on auction), I'm guessing $850 and up just to start for a Service Grade. I bet a raggedy beat up "Rack Grade" will still list for $600 or more.

Dave

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When the 1911's do become available and regardless of what one would want as a "fair price" they will sell them out quickly. A 1911 that "rattles" is not necessarily a bad thing for a military side arm. A matched prepped 1911 is useless for the intended use of the pistol.

Posts: 1050 | Location: S.Charleston, WV | Registered: 18 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with some of the sentiments posted above. Unless the price is about 200 / 300, these are guns hardly worth the effort. Beat up, mixed & matched rock cod weights. Why go through the hassle a CMP purchase requires?

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TWL:
I agree with some of the sentiments posted above. Unless the price is about 200 / 300, these are guns hardly worth the effort. Beat up, mixed & matched rock cod weights. Why go through the hassle a CMP purchase requires?

Because it is US GI, straight from the "Gubment" inventory. I put in for the last round of M1 Carbines - grab bag whatever you get when they reach into the crate, and didn't get my application picked. These things will go like hot cakes. I hope to get a chance at one and if I get a chance to pick one I'll pick an Ithaca, just because.

Wish I could get a hold of those super inaccurate .38 pistols that we used to qualify with. Where did they go?

Dave

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I'll wait till they find Dutch or Italian or lend lease or Korean models :-0

Posts: 6380 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Latest...

quote:
Earlier this year, the House passed along a bill not just allowing, but mandating the release of all M1911 handguns currently in the US Army’s inventory to the Civilian Marksmanship Program, to ultimately be redistributed to eligible US civilians.

Well, on Tuesday, December 5, 2017, CMP members received the most recent development in these rumors.

Below is text from an email sent out to all members of the Civilian Marksmanship Program informing them of the highly anticipated details about the release:

“To all CMP constituents:

The CMP Board of Directors has discussed at length how the sales of 1911s would be handled, if the CMP were to ever receive them from the United States Army.

Some preliminary decisions further clarified:

1. Decisions concerning the grade and pricing of the 1911s will not be made until inspection has occurred of a substantial quantity which will take an estimated 150 days post receipt.
2. All laws pertaining to the sale of 1911s by CMP will be strictly obeyed.
3. Potential purchasers will have to provide to CMP a new set of documents exhibiting: 1) proof of U.S. Citizenship, 2) proof of membership in a CMP affiliated club, 3) proof of participation in a marksmanship activity, 4) a new form 2A with notary, 5) a signed copy of the 01 Federal Firearms License in which the 1911 will be transferred to.
4. A NICS background check will be performed by CMP on the customer to assure the customer is eligible to purchase prior to shipment to the FFL licensed dealer. The customer must receive a “proceed” from NICS prior to shipment of the pistol to the FFL licensed dealer.
5. The CMP customer will be required to complete a form 4473 in person at the FFL dealers place of business, successfully passing a NICS check performed by the FFL holder, before the pistol can be transferred. This is a second NICS check performed on the customer.
6. Qualified CMP customer will only be allowed to purchase one 1911 per calendar year.
7. No 1911s available in the CMP stores, or on line, only mail order sales.
8. CMP will set the date in which it will accept orders for the 1911s. The date will be posted to the world.
9. Orders will only be accepted via mail order delivery.
10. Orders will only be accepted post marked on the date or after, no early orders.
11. Once CMP receives 10,000 orders, customer names will be loaded into the Random Number Generator.
12. The Random Number Generator will provide a list of names in sequence order through a random picking process to CMP.
13. Customers will be contacted in the sequence provided by the Random Number Generator.
14. When the customer is contacted a list of 1911 grades and pricing options that are available will be offered for selection of one.
15. As CMP proceeds down the sequenced list less grade and pricing options will be available. Again, this done completely random.

Note: 1911 type pistols purchased from CMP cannot be transferred to 03 FFL (curio and relic) license. BATF and the United States Army prefer the second background check be performed by a “store front” FFL dealer. Each customer purchasing a 1911 type pistolfrom CMP will be subjected to two NICS background checks, one performed by CMP and the other performed by the FFL dealer the pistol is being shipped to.

Mark Johnson
Chief Operating Officer
Civilian Marksmanship Program
www.thecmp.org

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Trump signed the bill a couple of days ago.

Things should be starting to move some time.

Lots of hoops to jump through.

If I want another 1911 I 'll just buy another commercial one.

one of us
posted Hide Post
A buddy has a 1911 service pistol that is in excellent shape and apparently has some proof marks that are sought after. He’s been told the collector value is $3-4000.

I sent him this and told him he’d better unload it quick because the value is likely to drop substantially once these flood the market.

Posts: 2921 | Location: Canada | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CMP 1911 order form packet will be posted on the CMP website thecmp.org on 4 June 2018 for download.
Orders must be postmarked NOT PRIOR TO 4 September 2018 and NOT AFTER 4 October 2018.

CMP has priced the 1911 type pistols at fair market value in accordance with CMP's enabling legislation.

Service Grade $1050. Pistol may exhibit minor pitting and wear on exterior surfaces and friction surfaces. Grips are complete with no cracks. Pistol is in issuable condition.

Field Grade $950. Pistol may exhibit minor rust, pitting, and wear on exterior surfaces and friction surfaces. Grips are complete with no cracks. Pistol is in issuable condition.

Rack Grade $850. Pistol will exhibit rust, pitting, and wear on exterior surfaces and friction surfaces. Grips may be incomplete and exhibit cracks. Pistol requires minor work to return to issuable condition.

Auction Grade (Sales will to be determined by auctioning the pistol). The condition of the auction pistol will be described when posted for auction. Note: If you have already purchased a 1911 from CMP you will not be allowed to purchase an auction 1911. If you purchase an auction 1911, your name will be pulled from the sequenced list. No repeat purchasers are allowed until all orders received have been filled.

The shipping cost is included in the price.

Jim

Posts: 546 | Location: Winter, Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 19 December 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow 850 dollars for a pistol that has problems.

Have fun buying theses I think I well go buy a New Ruger SR1911.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Except for the high-dollar 'Collector Grade' specimens, the bulk of these CMP 1911s will be shot-out, overpriced junk. Roll Eyes

Word to the wise ... Just sayin' Whistling

All The Best ...

Posts: 813 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 October 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jgrabow6493:
CMP 1911 order form packet will be posted on the CMP website thecmp.org on 4 June 2018 for download.
Orders must be postmarked NOT PRIOR TO 4 September 2018 and NOT AFTER 4 October 2018.

CMP has priced the 1911 type pistols at fair market value in accordance with CMP's enabling legislation.

Service Grade $1050. Pistol may exhibit minor pitting and wear on exterior surfaces and friction surfaces. Grips are complete with no cracks. Pistol is in issuable condition.

Field Grade $950. Pistol may exhibit minor rust, pitting, and wear on exterior surfaces and friction surfaces. Grips are complete with no cracks. Pistol is in issuable condition.

Rack Grade $850. Pistol will exhibit rust, pitting, and wear on exterior surfaces and friction surfaces. Grips may be incomplete and exhibit cracks. Pistol requires minor work to return to issuable condition.

Auction Grade (Sales will to be determined by auctioning the pistol). The condition of the auction pistol will be described when posted for auction. Note: If you have already purchased a 1911 from CMP you will not be allowed to purchase an auction 1911. If you purchase an auction 1911, your name will be pulled from the sequenced list. No repeat purchasers are allowed until all orders received have been filled.

The shipping cost is included in the price.

yea i got this in my email today too. still shaking my head. crazy.

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am still shooting my dad's 1911 bought from DCM back in the 50's for, I believe, $18. You can buy a new Colt today for about 900$ and a whole lot of others for less. It will be interesting to see the response to all this.
C.G.B.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
from CMP today: Our Random Number Generator (RNG) has selected random numbers for all the packets received. We are working on assigning those random numbers to the 19,000 packets we have received.

Jim

Posts: 546 | Location: Winter, Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 19 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I saw that. I believe the original lot was 8k pistols? so a little worse than 2 to 1 to get one. It seems we have way more collectors today than shooters??
C.G.B.