Find
Notify
Tools

CMP Historical Question about Process and Pricing
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted
Does anybody know what the process and pricing was for M1 Garands back in the 1950s, 60s, and 70s?

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10043 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I bought my first M1 in the early 80s. Price was $165. A Winchester. M1s were very rare in the early years because we were still using them, or gave them all away. It was the DCM then; CMP iz a new term.

Posts: 17045 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Got it thanks...so anybody have any info on M1 carbines?

Mike

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10043 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Sure; my father's friends bought them in the early 60s: price was $17.50. Had to be an NRA member. Then during Viet Nam I think they stopped selling them. Sold 1911s too, and they came from RIA here.
I have a picture of an invoice but I think IMGUR has banned me.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Well, I know that everything is relative, to a point but I remember the sales ads in American Rifleman + others prior to 1968 on surplus weapons + wish I could turn back the clock.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I remember all the police officers in the town I lived in bought them

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1502 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
In 1983 Service Grade M1 was $94.30
+ Postage & Handling..........11.90
+Shipping.....................15.76
Total.......................$121.96
In 1984 added Inspection,
rehab & storage fee to above..30.04
and Administration fee........13.00
For total of................$165.00

Purchase limited to veterans, NRA classified shooters or proof of competing in at least one match and a member of DCM affiliated club or Assn.

In 1957 1903A3's were released through NRA. They had two rounds as all were not sold on first offering. The first one I received was new in cosmoline, the 2nd got lucky and got a new one in sealed tinfoil package. Smiler

Regards
hm

2 Chronicles 7:14:
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Posts: 903 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Thanks HM

Mike

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I got my garand in 1979. It was $165.00 shipped
To my door by the usps. The requirements back
then were that you participated in at least 3 DCMP
matches. I really lucked out as the rifle that i
recieved was an unissued Springfield with a walnut
stock.
The cost breakdown was $100.00 for thr rifle and
$65.00 administrative cost. I still own it as we
were directed by the DCMP as they were named back
then to NEVER sell them.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8342 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, but you realize that they all get sold eventually, and that "directive" is not enforceable.
I might have said this, but the M1s now being sold for $700 are pitted, dog crap.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i think my 1st carbine was $20 and which was a pos not uncommon on the early ones latter issues i think were 40 but much better shape -45s $25

Posts: 13439 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Yes, but you realize that they all get sold eventually, and that "directive" is not enforceable.
I might have said this, but the M1s now being sold for $700 are pitted, dog crap.

I agree about the enforcement. I couldn't begin to imagine the process
and how that could be checked

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8342 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
oh, well, hindsights 20/20. I wish I still had the one that I sold to Cal Pappas, she was in great shape.Also that crate of loaded en-bloc clips. As they say, "If wishes were horses, beggers would ride."

Posts: 4103 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
Got it thanks...so anybody have any info on M1 carbines?

I recall an uncle buying a carbine in the late 70s, i believe i recall it was less than 75 bucks

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38379 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Sure; my father's friends bought them in the early 60s: price was $17.50. Had to be an NRA member. Then during Viet Nam I think they stopped selling them. Sold 1911s too, and they came from RIA here.
I have a picture of an invoice but I think IMGUR has banned me.

Same here $17.00+.

Not CMP or DCM but a place called Klein's advertised in back of magazines---M1's were $79.95 this is in the early 60's.

Hip

Posts: 1793 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote