New
Find
Notify
Tools

French LMG 1924 modified 1929, dated April 1940
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Edmond,

You certainly come up with some superbly interesting militaria. Are you a dealer or just a wealthy collector?

I didn't know it was possible to collect such things anywhere in Europe. Wow.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is not possible to collect select fire weapons except when deactivated and only a handful of pros have the MoD agreement for this category. Having this agreement allowed me to open my wallet to purchase these toys.

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Front trigger= semi automatic fire
rear trigger= full auto

An historical note, the LMG Chatellerault 24/29 known here as FM 24/29 its official name and commonly refered among vets as 24/29 set up the trend for a whole new class of weapons and its tactical use. The Bren is directly linked to the 24/29 through the czech ZB 26.

Vaclav Holek's LMG,"Praja mdel 24" was designed at the Brno factory, created in 1922 with French financial and technical assistance.

The forerunner of the ZB26 was designed by the Holek brothers assisted by MM, Marek, Podradsky and a team of French.

The post WW1 conflicts saw a wide use of the french CSRG 1915 Chauchat after France supported Finland, Poland and Czechoslovakia. Thousands of them were used by Finland and Poland in combat. They were given with billions of rounds and french instructors trained their new users.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of Eric
posted Hide Post
It may be significant historically and mechanically, but that really is one homely firearm.

Regards,

Eric

"We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately."
Benjamin Franklin, July 4 1776
Lost once in the shuffle, member since 2000.

Posts: 199 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: 05 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TrapperP
posted Hide Post
Edmond,
I'm asking something here I probably should not but did not the Vietnamese make copies of some of these? I know they made a LOT of MAT 49's but in 7.62X25MM - but that is another story for another day, eh?

Lord, give me patience 'cuz if you give me strength I'll need bail money!!
'TrapperP'

Posts: 3742 | Location: Moving on - Again! | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They did not make MAT 49, they made barrels in 7.62 x 25 for the MAT 49 they took in combat.
They did not make LMG 24/29.

They received Bren LMGs that were converted in 7.62 x 39 in China, those Bren were sent to PRC from various countries by guerillas who took them in combat.
at the end of the 60's, PRC got them back from the North Vietnamese and supplied RPK and RPD, the Bren were rearsenaled and supplied to the militias in China for territorial defense in large quantities along with Type 68 carbines and seized M16 that were withdrawn once ammo stock was depleted.

I could spend some time there at the beginning of the 80's and used the Bren in 7.62 x 39, it is almost like shooting a rimfire. the weapons were modified to use the AK 56 magazines, the first generation modification was a bushing in original barrel that was rechambered in 7.62 x 39 after plugging this bushing in an enlarged .303 chamber and the extractor and bolt face were slighty modified.
The rearsenaled Bren had a new barrel.
I have pictures somewhere.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
After 1945, all the 24/29 were parkerized, pictures of Indochina.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Aren't French Arms pictures of loveliness. Big Grin ugliness must be right up there with utility as a requirement.
Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
Front trigger= semi automatic fire
rear trigger= full auto
I was going to ask. Amazing design.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Personally I think the two triggers is an excellent idea, giving immediate selection between semi and full auto fire.

Kinda like the two finger position trigger on the German MG34...

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
or the "bi grillo" (double trigger) on the Beretta SMGs.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Exactly.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post