Find
Notify
Tools

My newly acquired Norwegian Krag Carbine - with story
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted
Here are some pictures of my newly acquired Norwegian Krag Carbine. This is a M1897 Mountain Artillery / Royal Engineer Carbine ( originally built in 1898 at Kongsberg Vapenfabrikk, as a M1895 Cavalry Carbine - then converted into an M1897 Artillery / Engineer Carbine in 1905 by altering its M1895 Cavalry Stock )

Interesting story: I had an identical Norwegian Krag Carbine in 1971 when I lived in British Columbia. It was the first hunting rifle that I purchased in BC. Its 6.5x55 caliber was perfect and I hunted everything with it from Jack Rabbits to Moose. I paid $150 for it. While on a bear hunting trip on the Northeast shores of Vancouver Island, I got caught in an ice storm. My car was sliding all over the road making about 10 miles per hour and I had a hundred miles to go to get home. I stopped at a gas station to buy some tire chains. They were $40. I didn't have enough money so I left my Krag carbine for collateral with an agreement to return the following weekend with the $40 cash. When I returned the following weekend to reclaim my rifle, a 4 hour one-way trip, I was told the rifle was sold. The guy said I "traded" my rifle for the chains. My first screwing on a gun deal. It was a very long 4 hour trip back home.

I've been looking for a similar carbine for 48 years ..... I finally got another one. I will be taking this one with me in my casket

" .... you never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early .... "

How to Hunt Wisconsin Whitetail Deer with a Cannon

How to Hunt Feral Cats with a Mortar

Posts: 2102 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
What a fine rifle -- and a sad back story.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16317 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
A sad story indeed. At my age + temperament in 1971, I would have most likely killed the SOB. I have mellowed out a bit. Glad you found another. Those actions are slick as glass.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
The one I have now I have made into a scout concept. 18" bbl., forward-mounted scope, did away with all the unwanted weight, then completely broke it down + jeweled every internal surface. Now this one is a smooth as glass.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote