Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
That French link is excellent though it strains
my high school french. Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are welcome. my pleasure!

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsiteman:
Hello Edmond,
Perhaps you have already done so and I am ignoratnt of this, but you should write a book or journal of your experience, knowledge, thoughts, etc. regarding not only the French Arms industry, but arms in general and relative historical background. Not to flatter you, but your body of knowledge is a treasure to be preserved for both present and future time. If you indeed already have done all of this, forgive my ignorance and is that work available?? Take care,
martin

quote:
Originally posted by mr rigby:
I agree Edmond, write the book and perhaps make it the millitary guns edition of the Ar book of hunting , it would sell here and elsewhere also .

You has lots of knowledge and its fun to read your threads.

quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Canuck:
Edmund -

I am so impressed by your in-depth knowledge of Euro firearms, particularly of course the French ones, it leaves me overawed!

I have owned several French rifles, and still have my MAS 36. I have a B-Square "no-drill" scope mount on mine, and with a 4X scope and Prvi Partisan ball ammunition, it easily shoots 1 MOA (and smaller) 5 shot groups at 100 yards, just as it came from the factory (except for the scope).

The trigger pull must have been around 9-11 pounds when I got it, but dry-firing it about 300 times smoothed the bolt and lightened the trigger. The trigger pull is still long by modern sporting standards, but now only about 5 pounds...a very manageable weight for a combat rifle...and with more shooting may get a bit lighter. If not, changing the spring is simple, but I prefer to leave it "as issued".

It is also a relatively light and short rifle, and easy to carry.

My experience with French rifles is that the military ones are a bit Ugly by today's concepts of beauty, but they are bone-simple designs, enormously strong, and almost never break. (Not many bolt rifles of any era have forward swept bolt handles, but although it looks strange, it works gloriously well.)

My Franchettes and my late Darne shotgun are NOT ugly, but they're a whole different kettle of chowder.

Anyway, I think you owe it to history to write your book on French small arms before God or the Devil grabs you away from us unexpectedly.

PLEASE. I would order 6 copies immediately (if hardbound), for myself and my shooting friends.

Thank you, all!

Maybe I should buy one of these devices and dictates it.

As long as I can move, next step is completing my knowledge of Eastern European / Russian armament in situ with what is boiling two hours flight from Paris in a country I discovered a few years ago that is trying to shake the murderous embrace of a beast I volunteered against 35 years ago..

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Happy Birthday, Marines!

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you, America! 1917-2017